- +

Author Topic: Avengers Assemble!!!  (Read 5568 times)

Offline bminor

• Keeper of the Comics
  • VIP
  • DCM Member
    • Brian and Rebecca Minor Watercolors
Avengers Assemble!!!
« on: May 01, 2012, 07:37:37 PM »
I thought I would go ahead and start this thread.
Rotten Tomatoes gives is a 94% for the critics and 97% for audience.
I am of the mind that this is going to be a lot of fun!!!
I like the fact that the first bad guy that the Avengers is fighting is Loki.
The first villian they fought against in Avengers #1 way back in the day...

Digital Comic Museum

Avengers Assemble!!!
« on: May 01, 2012, 07:37:37 PM »

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
Re: Avengers Assemble!!!
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2012, 10:10:30 PM »
I wanted Super-Adaptoid but I'm weird that way.  *hehe*
I liked The Mimic vs the X-Men as well.  No pattern there.  ;)

Offline narfstar

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2012, 04:04:46 AM »
I too thought it appropriate and a nod to comic fans that the Avengers were first taking on Loki. BTW Yoc: I well remember as a kid reading X-Men 27 and loving the Mimic. I could not believe it was his return because I had not read his first appearance. I was upset and wanted it. Not sure when I got it but it may have been years later as things were not the same back in those primitive days.

Offline paw broon

• VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2012, 09:43:36 AM »
At the time I thought The Mimic was great.  But as for Loki, he's never been a favourite of mine and, while I realise it shows my liking for more obscure characters, I'd love to see The Swordsman.  Doubt if anyone else would, though. 
Stephen Montgomery

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2012, 11:59:33 AM »
I'm hearing a second Avengers movie is likely and would think the Kree/Skrull war would be a natural for adapting in a movie.  Minus the Inhumans.
Or perhaps something with Dr Doom and Red Skrull?  They've got an available villain in Doom and it sounds unlikely there will be further FF movies.

Hey, they could do a CHAMPIONS movie no?  Ghost Rider, Black Widow, Angel, Iceman, they'd just need to introduce Herc!  Perhaps they could use 'Black Goliath' as writer Isabella originally planned instead of Herc?  How's that for an obscure group?

Offline bminor

• Keeper of the Comics
  • VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2012, 08:02:52 PM »
Concerning the Avengers movie.
Look at the trailer, at 1:30 Loki grabs Tony Stark throws him out of the window, but it is Steve Rogers that lands in the street on top of the car!?
I am a uber geek for noticing this? Is this a case of a trailer cutting a bunch of different scenes together?

Is is a skrull?

You know I am not talking about this with my wife, she thinks that I am weird enough already, down in my man cave, amongst my old comics and movies....

Maybe I just need to get a life!!!

B.

Offline paw broon

• VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2012, 10:02:21 AM »
"How's that for an obscure group?"  Yoc

Oh yes,  I do like obscure.  How about The Defenders around the time of, "Too Many Heroes"?  Or is that just silly?

"You know I am not talking about this with my wife, she thinks that I am weird enough already, down in my man cave, amongst my old comics and movies....

Maybe I just need to get a life!!!"
   bminor.
Now that is also an interesting topic -  the attitude/reaction of significant others, friends and folk who stumble into our world.

My wife, while being very understanding and tolerant of my comics hobby, is still somewhat bemused by it and has a complete lack of understanding of the attraction for me.  That is, apart from the regular admonitions to, "tidy this room up, you're running out of space".  I did try explaining Cap's origin when we saw the trailer and the blank look followed by a yawn told me all I needed to know, so I haven't broached the subject again.  Friends still look at me as if I was daft but others who are also comic fans look in turn at them with pity.  I attend French and Italian classes and both teachers are native speakers.  Both ladies read and are aware of the great comics histories of their respective countries.  Wish it was the same with the ordinary Scot in the street.

Back on topic, if there is a serious continuity glitch, that will spoil the film for many fans but it will be a while before I see it.  And I still like the idea of The Swordsman.

Stephen Montgomery

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2012, 12:05:01 PM »
If it were only possible a mega cross-over of X-men/Avengers in a movie would make them all a ton of cash.  You'd need a trilogy to get all the actors screen time and of course you'd need Magneto and say Red Skull or Dr Doom and the Skrulls to keep them all busy!

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2012, 12:06:43 PM »
Hmm, this got me thinking.
You do an X-Men movie with a villain/villains and CONTINUE the plot in an Avengers movie (with cameos) just like they do all the time in comics.
Sounds like a good plan to me.

Offline watson387

• DCM Member
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2012, 02:36:45 PM »
I understand that they wanted to put a woman in the team for the movie, but why the Black Widow? There are plenty of better women characters they could have used. The Black Widow has nothing compared to the rest of the team. It should have been The Wasp IMO, although I don't know if the storyline is based on comic events that involved the BW or if it is an original screenplay.

Offline John C

• Administrators
  • DCM Member
    • John's Blog
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2012, 04:09:21 PM »
Hmm, this got me thinking.
You do an X-Men movie with a villain/villains and CONTINUE the plot in an Avengers movie (with cameos) just like they do all the time in comics.
Sounds like a good plan to me.

Oh, dear.  Summer blockbuster movies being released regularly with connections between them half-demanding you watch them all to understand something?  That seems so familiar...

(It's left as an exercise to the reader how best to adapt the idea of variant covers.  But not too loudly.  After all, Hollywood is an industry that's become psychologically incestuous, has been having problems making money, and started jacking up prices disproportionately to cover the difference.  Movies may well be the new comics in more ways than one.)

Offline boox909

• Repeat Donor!
  • VIP
  • DCM Member
  • Arch Comics Nerd
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2012, 01:42:11 AM »
Just back from seeing the film. I went in cynical and ended up not wanting to leave over my excitement for the sequel.

If you've ever been fond of the Avengers, you will like this film.

B.
Golly, what were the Last 100 uploads?
http://digitalcomicmuseum.com/stats2.php

Keltner's Golden Age Comic Book Index!
http://www.twomorrows.com/alterego/media/Golden%20Age%20Index.pdf

Offline bminor

• Keeper of the Comics
  • VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2012, 11:28:30 AM »
From what I hear it sounds really good.
I may sit through it twice! Last time I did that was way back in '82 when the first Tron came out!

B.

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2012, 02:25:27 PM »
Oh, dear.  Summer blockbuster movies being released regularly with connections between them half-demanding you watch them all to understand something?  That seems so familiar...

I think the Matrix, Lord of the Rings and Potter movies show there is an audience for a series of movies with a central group or character carrying over from film to film.  A series of connected Marvel movies (say X-Men4/Avengers2/Capt America 2/Spiderman4, etc, etc) released in consecutive months could logically produce a good movie in parts and maximize studio paydays.  One would hope each were good enough to see alone or enjoy as a whole.  Of course they'd be a box set for a later date likely with multiple editions and covers - yes - movies are the new comics and vice-versa.  It's all about maximum cash extraction and this is something I think could work if handled correctly.  The costs and logistics would be staggering wouldn't they?  Hehehe.

I'm seeing the Skrulls and a Secret Invasion being a simple enough plotline to connect any number of movies/characters or genres.  Or everyone fights Fin Fang Foom!
;)

Offline John C

• Administrators
  • DCM Member
    • John's Blog
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2012, 03:56:40 PM »
I was mostly having a little chuckle at the idea that Hollywood might turn "summer blockbusters" into "summer crossover maxi-series" where they try to make you feel obligated to watch every movie, just so you don't miss anything.  And after Crisis, it was only, what, five years before they started doing the collectible cover sets?

Ooh, variant credit sequences.  There you go!

"I haven't seen the 3D edition with the purple logo and the Hitchcock silhouette, yet."