developed-responsibility
- +

Author Topic: Tue July 12 - PBS' History Detectives features a comic  (Read 2625 times)

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
Tue July 12 - PBS' History Detectives features a comic
« on: July 11, 2011, 09:00:59 AM »
Hi Gang,
I just read about this on a Yahoo list - some here might want to catch this show.  I've seen past episodes and they do a very nice job on it.
The PBS show 'History Detectives' talking about the short-lived comic title, Negro Romance!
Tune in this Tuesday (July 12th) at 8pm EST/ 7pm CT.

If you watch it let us know what you thought of it here.
-Yoc

Digital Comic Museum

Tue July 12 - PBS' History Detectives features a comic
« on: July 11, 2011, 09:00:59 AM »

Offline boox909

• Repeat Donor!
  • VIP
  • DCM Member
  • Arch Comics Nerd
Re: Tue July 12 - PBS' History Detectives features a comic
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2011, 10:35:41 AM »
Hi Gang,
I just read about this on a Yahoo list - some here might want to catch this show.  I've seen past episodes and they do a very nice job on it.
The PBS show 'History Detectives' talking about the short-lived comic title, Negro Romance!
Tune in this Tuesday (July 12th) at 8pm EST/ 7pm CT.

If you watch it let us know what you thought of it here.
-Yoc

The promo I'm seeing in my area doesn't mention the comic, but it does mention some Civil War stuff, so I'm going to watch regardless...thanks for the heads up.

B.
Golly, what were the Last 100 uploads?
http://digitalcomicmuseum.com/stats2.php

Keltner's Golden Age Comic Book Index!
http://www.twomorrows.com/alterego/media/Golden%20Age%20Index.pdf

Offline Roygbiv666

• Repeat Donor!
  • VIP
  • DCM Member
    • Standard Comics

Offline boox909

• Repeat Donor!
  • VIP
  • DCM Member
  • Arch Comics Nerd
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2011, 06:39:54 PM »
fyi -- Negro Romance segment is on!!!!

Link features more story and SHOULD EVENTUALLY feature the segment video!!!

http://www.pbs.org/opb/historydetectives/investigation/african-american-comic-book/
« Last Edit: July 12, 2011, 06:56:54 PM by boox909 »
Golly, what were the Last 100 uploads?
http://digitalcomicmuseum.com/stats2.php

Keltner's Golden Age Comic Book Index!
http://www.twomorrows.com/alterego/media/Golden%20Age%20Index.pdf

Offline Roygbiv666

• Repeat Donor!
  • VIP
  • DCM Member
    • Standard Comics
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2011, 06:59:39 PM »
Thanks Yoc, that was cool! I was unduly excited by the segment. They showed the Unknown Soldier like three times, once with Captain Courageous! Weird.

PBS has more info here:
http://www.pbs.org/opb/historydetectives/investigation/african-american-comic-book/

More info:
http://bvikkivintage.blogspot.com/2009/11/negro-romance-comics-1950.html

That be cool.

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2011, 08:26:37 PM »
And I missed it!  Grrr.
I'll try for the online version later.

Offline John C

• Administrators
  • DCM Member
    • John's Blog
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2011, 05:12:42 AM »
I forgot about the thread, but happened to catch it anyway, coincidentally.

It was a decent story, if a little cut-and-dried.  I guess there's not much to be done when the owner pretty much only wants to know the writer/artist, since someone either knows or doesn't.  Without going off on some enjoyable but expensive tangent, there's not much to be done to pad the story to ten minutes without telling us about all the blind alleys.

Still, it was fun, and produced information that I don't think any of us had before--I see it's waiting confirmation at the GCD.  Plus one of the stories from the comic is posted at Roy's link...

(All said, though, I think the Lindbergh/Sikorsky story was much more entertaining.)

Oh, and if you sit through the credits, DCM has a "thanks to" credit mixed in with the other references.  I can't NOT mention that...

Offline Roygbiv666

• Repeat Donor!
  • VIP
  • DCM Member
    • Standard Comics
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2011, 05:48:33 AM »
(All said, though, I think the Lindbergh/Sikorsky story was much more entertaining.)

Yeah, that was some nifty detective work.

The show is basically Antiques Roadshow on steroids.

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2011, 08:42:18 AM »
I recall way back when we were approached by the show but the details escape me.

Offline JVJ (RIP)

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
  • paix
    • ImageS Magazine
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2011, 12:58:19 PM »
I forgot about the thread, but happened to catch it anyway, coincidentally.

Still, it was fun, and produced information that I don't think any of us had before--I see it's waiting confirmation at the GCD.  Plus one of the stories from the comic is posted at Roy's link...

I just watched the show and I don't know who Shawn Clancy is, but he doesn't know what Alvin Hollingsworth art looks like. Perhaps Roy Alt wrote some stories for the title that Hollingsworth drew, but the stories they showed from #2 were NOT by ACH. Alt, I can't say.

The very slick first story (were there more than one shown?) looked more like Edd Ashe to me - who was a major presence at Fawcett at the time. Whereas Hollingsworth MAY have drawn an issue of Nyoka in 1951, he has no other credits at Fawcett. It's scary that PBS doesn't ask someone like Hames Ware or John Benson or someone who actually has some art ID "chops" what THEY thought of the Hollingsworth ID instead of taking one man's second hand recollection of what a 90 year old man said about something that happened 60 years ago. Makes me really trust the rest of their "history".

Peace, Jim (|:{>
Peace, Jim (|:{>

JVJ Publishing and VW inc.

Offline josemas

• DCM Member
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2011, 06:31:35 AM »
I don't know how they do on other aspects of history but I have had film research associates interviewed for the show who were able to get things right for them (at least in those cases).  Other than that I really can't say much as I've only watched episodes of the show where my friends have been interviewed.

Best

Joe

Offline John C

• Administrators
  • DCM Member
    • John's Blog
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2011, 03:39:27 PM »
It's possible it depends on the lead investigator, Jim.  I know I've seen episodes where the two appraisers have looked for experts in a particular style or artist for other kinds of projects.  Noteworthy is that this woman, I believe, is a historian, which suggests that a "primary source" like someone's memory would be acceptable as evidence.

And to answer the question, no, I don't recall them showing any other story, so the recollection could have been for later in the issue or other issues in the series entirely, of course, in theory.  To be fair, it's an odd name for a former editor to pull out of a hat if he didn't work at Fawcett, so in that respect, I think it's plausible, even if not for that story.