- +

Author Topic: Target Comics v1 n5 uploaded  (Read 2395 times)

Offline OtherEric

• Global Moderator
  • DCM Member
Target Comics v1 n5 uploaded
« on: May 13, 2011, 10:37:33 PM »
OK, new personal rule for me:  Any time I post a book that Overstreet claims goes for over 5K in high grade, it gets its own thread rather than a mention in my more general upload thread.  Not that this has ever come up before or is likely to come up again any time soon; I think I own all of 5 books total that hit that range.  And not that I paid even close to that for this coverless copy; it was actually well under $100, even with shipping.

The reason this book lists so high is, of course, the first appearance of Spacehawk by Basil Wolverton.  This particular story has been reprinted at least a couple times that I know of, but it's still wonderful to see it in its original form.  Or, for everybody else, at least as close as I can make it.  While the Spacehawk stories in v2 and v3 of Target are all wonderful in their own way, with a few stories- the two Hitler parodies and the Dr. Gore stories in particular- excellent, it's generally agreed that the series suffered when editorial demanded that Spacehawk become more down to earth.  The v1 stories, by contrast, are AMAZING.  Nobody could create an alien world quite like Wolverton, and this is a classic example of that.  Just breathtaking work.

As far as the rest of the book, it's still trying to find a direction.  It's unsurprising but interesting just how much this book resembles an early Timely book, given that it was packaged by the Jaquet (sp?) shop.  We've got a Bill Everett cover and a lead story by Burgos, just for starters.

One note on the condition of the book, other than the obvious fact it's missing the IBC and IFC.  There were three small holes through the entire book.  I've fixed a few of them in the Spacehawk story where I could, but by and large they're beyond my ability to fix.  Mostly they're not too obvious or annoying, but if anybody with really impressive editing skills wanted me to get them copies of the raw scans to try and repair them, let me know.

Digital Comic Museum

Target Comics v1 n5 uploaded
« on: May 13, 2011, 10:37:33 PM »

Offline boox909

• Repeat Donor!
  • VIP
  • DCM Member
  • Arch Comics Nerd
Re: Target Comics v1 n5 uploaded
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2011, 11:00:32 PM »
The reason this book lists so high is, of course, the first appearance of Spacehawk by Basil Wolverton. 

Meanwhile I'm excited to see this issue because it is has a White Streak story!  O0

B.
Golly, what were the Last 100 uploads?
http://digitalcomicmuseum.com/stats2.php

Keltner's Golden Age Comic Book Index!
http://www.twomorrows.com/alterego/media/Golden%20Age%20Index.pdf

Offline OtherEric

• Global Moderator
  • DCM Member
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2011, 11:13:26 PM »
Meanwhile I'm excited to see this issue because it is has a White Streak story!  O0

I don't really care why, I'm just glad the book has something you want to see!

Offline freddyfly

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2011, 11:58:37 PM »
Beautiful! Love these early issues!
-Len W.

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2011, 12:25:06 PM »
Bravo Eric!!
And if ever needed I likely could have fixed those hole problems in Photoshop.

Offline jfglade

• VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2011, 02:58:19 PM »
 I've been looking forward so seeing this issue posted since you first announced that you would be obtaining the book. I'm apparently one of the few who has never seen a reprint of the initial Spacehawk story.

Thank you very much.

Offline OtherEric

• Global Moderator
  • DCM Member
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2011, 12:06:14 AM »
Well, I don't know that reprints are exactly common; the one I have is a) Black & White and b) over 20 years old. I was just mentioning it's one of the few that has been reprinted at all.

Offline jfglade

• VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2011, 01:29:26 PM »
I enjoyed the Targer Vol. 1 #5 a great deal. The Spacehawk story was beautifully done and I rather like the idea that we never saw his face. The rest of the issue was interesting as well, particularly the White Streak story. It was odd to see Tarpe Mills doing a version of "Minute Movies." The comparion to an early Timely book was on the mark.

Offline OtherEric

• Global Moderator
  • DCM Member
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2011, 11:14:00 PM »
Tarpe Mills does the "Fantastic Feature Films" in all of v1 and v2 n1, I believe.  It's probably my favorite feature in the early issues after Spacehawk.