developed-responsibility
- +

Author Topic: Hurray! It's our TENTH Anniversary today! (03.28.2020)  (Read 18363 times)

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 13 Years Strong!
Hurray! It's our TENTH Anniversary today! (03.28.2020)
« on: March 28, 2020, 07:17:08 PM »
https://digitalcomicmuseum.com/images/DCM banner61-Tenth-Anniversary-animated.gif
The Fred Hembeck commission for this banner is generously provided by DCM member Roy Johnson.  You can see the entire artwork at this link - https://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=1172115

Roy has been busy creating and publishing his alternate history STANDARD COMICS project for years now.  Well worth a look!

Hi Gang,
Welcome to our Tenth Anniversary.

It's a crazy, crazy time out there since this past winter holidays and I think we're all feeling more than a bit scared about where it might go and when will it end.  How do we recover after something like this?  Never have we lived in such a time of such global uncertainty since I guess the second world war and this one it really is the entire world on edge.

Saying this, it makes me feel a little bit odd to be so excited for today.  It's our 10th anniversary.  TEN!!  Maybe because it's such a strange time it's good to be excited about our site managing to survive the last decade.  Giving us something happy to think about instead of worrying.

This last year we gained 4388 new members and today sit with 81486 total.
We also added 761 new scans during the year and have 22992* total scans.  (*Note several fiche and very smaller versions of scans have be removed when a better one was added so the total number is smaller than it could be and we lost many when the Fawcett books were taken off.)

Here are some highlights from last year:

Year nine started off on a sad note for DCM.  Shortly after our March 28th birthday we learned of the very sad passing of one of our own family.  George Ferriss was a moderator on DCM as well as a scanner and editor of comics.  GEO to everyone here, had passed away in late January.  It took a while for us to track him down and confirm our worst fears after a long absense.  Geo will be very missed.
You can see a GEO memorial topic HERE.

About the same time we learned of GEO we received a take down notice for many Fawcett titles on the site.  We were in the wrong on their PD status and they were removed.  It was easily the worst week in DCM history.  But we carried on just as we do today.

Thankfully Titansfan has continued to grow the collection with his Library of Congress visits!  He's now scanned a just over 3000 books from them!  We are thrilled to have such a dedicated scanner as part of the fold!  Thank-you TF!  Of course TF isn't the only one crafting his scans for sharing.  He keeps a small army of people busy editing his raw scans.  Thanks to all of them! 

Much praise should also be given to Freddyfly who has been sharing his work on DCM since we were still part of GAC and continues to track down goodies for scanning.  He's scanned an impressive number of books for both sites even rescanning some of them now as upgrades.  There are many other scanners out there as well that we hope know how much we appreciate and value the work they do in our common goal of preserving these comics for posterity.

In April we started a Comic Book Comments section.  Before this any comments left on a scan would only be seen if someone happened to want to download the same book later.  We hope this way the comments would lead to more activity and any problems noticed are much more apt to be corrected.

In early May DCM member Larry Talbot scanned and shared a scan of his copy of Fawcett's Gift Comics #1 (Click Here).  This truly epic book was lucky enough to contain quite early Fawcett issues that were all safe enough to share on the site and almost all at 300dpi!  This was during our last FTP Access Month which while not as successful as some in the past provided the site with needed funds.  We plan another one coming soon.

In July we finally were lucky enough to have hufflepuffle scan and share his issue of Target Comics v1 #7 (Click Here), a book we've been after since the first site, even creating a special banner begging for someone to scan this very, very expensive book for everyone.  The previous Jan. 2019 Rangerhouse shared his scan of the only other early issue of Target we needed #8.  With #7 scanned we now have the complete run of Basil Wolverton's Spacehawk feature! (Stay tuned, we've got plans around this fact down the road!)

Last August Titansfan shared an All paper scan of Daredevil vs Hitler #1 (Click here)!  We'd had a partial scan generously donated by Jeff Cannell back in 2010 but this was a superb scan of a complete copy of this very expensive book!  We got a new edit of Jeff's book as well as several other Lev books that Jeff had scanned which have all gone live on our big day today.  A big thank-you to Jeff for risking his books for all of us to read!

Over the years FETT has surprised us (he always does) with a handful of mini-Fett floods.  Usually several issues of a title will pop up in a day for us to enjoy.  Thanks as always for your shares Fett!

---

And a reminder about the WANTED COMICS LIST  maintained by DCM members Movielover and A Nonny Moose.  To anyone out there with a collection of Golden Age Comics, please give the list a look.  You might have something we are missing or could use an upgrade for on the site.  Please consider scanning or letting a trusted staffer scan your books for you.  You can use the CONTACT US link if you want to contact us about the idea or if you have a question.  We would love to work with you on something for the site!

New scanners/editors this past year: beanlynch, Calamity Jon,  carol1407, Cliff57Tbone, hufflepuffle, shesselman

New archives which came in from Cardboard_Crate

Every year we have to stress how blessed we have been for our amazingly generous Financial Donors that deserve all our gratitude.  We wouldn't be here sharing all these scans if it weren't for financial donations that pay our server bill each month.  A special thank-you to carnassial and Custer Beaton who have been exceptionally generous with their donations to the site.  Thanks guys!

To all our Comics donors, scanners and editors - thank-you all for everything you do to make DCM the wonderful site it has become.

Here's to another great year, may 2020 return to something normal again sooner than later.
-Yoc

Digital Comic Museum

Hurray! It's our TENTH Anniversary today! (03.28.2020)
« on: March 28, 2020, 07:17:08 PM »

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 13 Years Strong!
Re: Hurray! It's our TENTH Anniversary today! (03.28.2020)
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2020, 08:23:31 PM »
I created a couple of wallpapers for anyone out there that might want one.

Enjoy!
-Yoc

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 13 Years Strong!
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2020, 08:40:29 PM »
A huge Thank-you to everyone who helped make today amazing!
We got 64 new scans up today!  Likely a single day record for the site.
Thanks guys!

Here's a list of everyone that contributed to anniversary scans in alphabetical order:
Top of any list must be titansfan who worked on over a dozen of the new scans.

comicwanderer,
Dave Hayward
David Miles,
Editor,
Ger Apeldoorn,
GEO,
Jim Vadeboncoeur Jr.,
Jeff Cannell,
Los Pollos Hermanos,
movielover,
OtherEric,
Pyramid,
Rangerhouse,
soothsayr
srca1941,
tilliban,
Tropicalfan,
Yoc

They aren't all in the special anniversary folder.  To see them all go to the Latest Uploads section:
https://digitalcomicmuseum.com/stats.php?ACT=latest&start=0&limit=100

-Yoc

Offline John C

• Administrators
  • DCM Member
    • John's Blog
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2020, 06:26:12 AM »
I feel like a jerk for having this window open since Saturday, drafting a post, but I'm grateful to have been brought in on this a decade ago and still check into the forum every day for the rarer and rarer cases that I can contribute to a (rarer and rarer...) conversation or delete some spam.  It's been quiet, but still one of the best communities around, something very important when we're (hopefully) all sheltering-in-place to keep each other healthy.

I've been blogging and plan to start talking about "Free Culture" (content that's either in the public domain or available under a license that allows any use), so I'll probably occasionally post links when that overlaps with interests, here, since I do miss the group.

Offline Astaldo711

• Crazy old coot
  • VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2020, 09:48:52 AM »
10 years! Oh my god! Seems like only yesterday there was a contest to see if anyone could guess the name!
Congratulations! You all work so hard for this site, and it's very much appreciated!
"I'm the Holiday Armadillo, your part Jewish friend!"

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 13 Years Strong!
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2020, 01:53:11 PM »
Hi guys,
Nice to hear from some of the old guard.  ;)
John, please do share those Open Culture links.  People here might not be aware of how relevant it is the health of DCM as a resource of scans.

Stay healthy guys!
-Yoc

Offline darkmark (RIP)

• VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2020, 07:04:18 PM »
Soundeth great!  Wish I had some to contrib, but most remaining issues are out of my price range.  Thanks!

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 13 Years Strong!
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2020, 09:29:43 AM »
No worries DM, you've been here since the start and done your part early on.

Stay healthy!
-Yoc

Offline erwin-k

• VIP
  • DCM Member
  • New Pulp Writer
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2020, 08:27:10 AM »
Happy 10th from my Shelter-In-Place here in Kansas City!

I've spent quite a bit of time reading the celebratory flood of newly uploaded books. Then I checked my site Profile. My recorded presence is about to hit ten full days. Do I ever enjoy being here.

Thanks to all scanners, editors, and staff who keep things going smoothly. ;D

Offline ghmcleod

• VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2020, 04:27:12 PM »
Happy Tenth Anniversary
Thank you very much for your existence
It has been a marvelous assist to my project
Here is to 10 more years of excellent service.
ghmcleod

Offline boox909

• Repeat Donor!
  • VIP
  • DCM Member
  • Arch Comics Nerd
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2020, 06:09:18 PM »
Congrats gang!   :)

Warm regards,
Chris
Golly, what were the Last 100 uploads?
http://digitalcomicmuseum.com/stats2.php

Keltner's Golden Age Comic Book Index!
http://www.twomorrows.com/alterego/media/Golden%20Age%20Index.pdf

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 13 Years Strong!
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2020, 07:51:43 PM »
Another face from day one.  Boox, I hope you are staying safe in these scary days!

-Yoc

Offline boox909

• Repeat Donor!
  • VIP
  • DCM Member
  • Arch Comics Nerd
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2020, 05:50:55 PM »
Another face from day one.  Boox, I hope you are staying safe in these scary days!

-Yoc

I'm good 'ol chum. Keeping my immune system strong, and not doing a lot of crazy things!

You stay safe also!  :)
Golly, what were the Last 100 uploads?
http://digitalcomicmuseum.com/stats2.php

Keltner's Golden Age Comic Book Index!
http://www.twomorrows.com/alterego/media/Golden%20Age%20Index.pdf

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 13 Years Strong!
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2020, 08:39:51 PM »
Good good.
Don't wait another year to say Hi Ok?

Keep healthy,
-Yoc

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 13 Years Strong!
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2020, 10:27:15 AM »
Thanks to all our recent donors!