developed-responsibility
- +

Author Topic: NOTICE - Fawcett Comics changes due to copyright status  (Read 37493 times)

Offline CaptPinhead

• DCM Member
Re: NOTICE - Fawcett Comics changes due to copyright status
« Reply #60 on: July 30, 2024, 03:33:17 PM »
Hello everyone,

I created an account here a while back, though I admittedly haven't been an active user for a while. Imagine my surprise when I saw the notice about a good number of issues published by Fawcett featuring Captain Marvel and the Marvel Family have been pulled because of the rather abrupt revelation (from my perspective anyway) that they are still under copyright.

How time flies, it definitely hasn't felt like its been well over 5 years since I last visited. To echo what some other posters have said here on the thread, I just naively assumed that the comics uploaded here would always be around, that there would be plenty of time to come back and read them all. Like most things in life, there is no predicting what could happen down the line. At the very least, it's somewhat reassuring that some issues are still available to read and that DC Comics/Warner did not attempt to bully the DCM to take down everything featuring the Marvels, including that which is definitely PD.

That being said, apologies for the wordy preamble, have any of the more active or knowledgeable members here heard any whispers of plans by DC Comics to reprint the stories that they have "reclaimed"? In particular, as part of the Golden Age Omnibus treatment that they have already done for Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman.

I'm honestly surprised they haven't already done so, especially back when the 2019 "SHAZAM!" film adaptation was released to some acclaim (and healthy box office returns). The fact that they went to the trouble of enforcing their ownership on the stories contained in what were previously believed to be PD comic book issues--which before 2019 DC Comics/Warner seemed to have little interest in before that time--would have indicated they possibly had such designs in play.

Even discounting them not wanting to publish some of the troublesome stories featuring material and characters that are considered offensive now, it's hard to believe that up to this point they still haven't published any new, comprehensive collections of the Golden Age Captain Marvel/Shazam stories. The only recent, official releases I have come across are one-off physical/digital comic book reprints of specific issues from "Whiz Comics" and "Captain Marvel Adventures". I suppose they really only care about what potential merchandising opportunities they can squeeze out and could care less about making the actual stories available to the public.

Any potential insight anyone has would be appreciated.

Digital Comic Museum

« Reply #60 on: July 30, 2024, 03:33:17 PM »

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #61 on: July 30, 2024, 03:48:59 PM »
Welcome back Capt!
Sorry, I haven't heard about anything coming from DC regarding the issues in question.
:(

Meanwhile you've got a lot of other books to catch up on since your last visit!
Have fun!  :)