developed-responsibility
- +

Author Topic: It's our NINTH Anniversary today! (2019.03.28)  (Read 7927 times)

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 13 Years Strong!
It's our NINTH Anniversary today! (2019.03.28)
« on: March 28, 2019, 09:11:29 AM »
https://digitalcomicmuseum.com/images/DCM banner58- Hembeck4 -animated.gif
The Fred Hembeck commission for this banner is generously provided by DCM member Roy Johnson.    You can see the entire artwork at this link: https://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=1172115

Roy has been busy creating and publishing his alternate history STANDARD COMICS project for years now.  Well worth a look!

​Hi Gang,
We are thrilled to celebrate the DCM Ninth Anniversary today!
We've had another huge year with a ton of new books and members.

I believe we can easily call this the year of Titansfan! TF has visited the Library of Congress in Washington and scanned over 1200 books from there keeping his editors busy and filling in so many holes in our collection as well as many much welcome upgrades to fiche and smaller or incomplete scans already on the site.

This past last year we gained 5121 new members and sit with 77407 total.
We also added 915 new scans during the year and have 21562 total scans.

Here are some highlights from last year:

We started a Historical Photos Project (Click here to see it) with our last anniversary that has been running since then with weekly updates.  Over the years I've been collecting photos from various online sources that showed comics on newsstands, people reading comics, newsstands with pulps and in general when interesting, famous people with comic or in comics related projects, and recently comic creators.  I've amassed a pretty impressive collection that I've been busy sharing once a week since last March 28th.  You can see them all in their own section on the DCM forums or in the Albums Section of our DCM Facebook page.

---

In Nov. 2017 Titansfan paid a visit the Library of Congress in DC and scanned a whacking big pile of comics for the sites.  They started arriving on the site in April through July 2018 and we are very grateful to TF and his gang of editors for bringing them to us.  Many holes in our Fawcett and Quality Comics collections were filled.

---

In October 2018 Titansfan made another very successful visit to the LOC and scanned over 300 more comics to share on the site!  Cementing himself as our MVP for the year and making the ending of the JVJ Project not that long ago much less painful.

---

Alter-Ego #151 (Mar.2018) with a cover feature on Frank Thomas came out in late Feb.  It makes an excellent companion to DCM's four volume Complete Frank Thomas Archives (found here) we debuted on DCM the year before.  You can pick up AE151 from their online store here: http://twomorrows.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=98_55&products_id=1339

---

We had another very successful FTP Access month during May.  Members stepped up and have provided us with a enough funds to rebuild our nest egg after losing a lot of it when another hard drive failed on our service provider on May 11th.  Thankfully we were not offline very long and the FTP Access people never lost their connection.

---

On June 1st Builderboy let us debut his scan of JUNGLE COMICS #1 which was a pleasant surprise for us!

---

A final Phabox archive went live on July 4th - his USA, The Spirit of Old Glory Collection is a reminder of how much Nigel enjoyed the obscure heroines of the golden-age.  Click here to see it!

---

Freddyfly, one of our most prolific scanners, has continued to share new and upgrade older scans for us.  Thanks again Len!  :)

---

And a reminder about the  WANTED COMICS LIST  maintained by DCM members Movielover and A Nonny Moose.  So anyone out there with a collection of Golden Age Comics, please give the list a look.  You might have something we are missing or could use an upgrade for on the site.  Please consider scanning or letting a trusted staffer scan your books for you.  You can use the CONTACT US link if you want to contact us about the idea or if you have a question.  We would love to work with you on something for the site!

---

New scanners/editors this past year:  The Archivinator, Datadox, (terrible_scanner), Erik Larson (Savage Dragon), JeffT2U, Ryan McSwain (fourcolorbleed), SydneyUrshan, Tigertail777, rgustke

---

It was a good year for new archives which came in from BYRON5348, hills5and10, Kracalactaka, lazarus06, Prime user and that final collection I already mentioned from my good friend, Phabox (RIP).

---

And again we want to stress how blessed we have been for our amazingly generous Financial Donors that deserve all our gratitude.  We wouldn't be here sharing all these scans if it weren't for financial donations that pay our server bill each month.  A special thank-you to carnassial, clarus65 and rcmurray who have been exceptionally generous with donations to the site this past year.  Thanks so much guys!

To all our Comic Scanners and Editors thank-you all for everything you do to make DCM the wonderful site it has become.

So go check out the special temporary Ninth Anniversary Gift Section now up here: https://digitalcomicmuseum.com/index.php?cid=1110

A final thank-you to Titansfan, Rangerhouse, Movielover, srca1941, Yoc, Pmack, JonTheScanner, OtherEric, Tigertail777, Kracalactaka and rgustke for sharing their latest scans to mark our anniversary today!

Here's a list of what is new for today:
Blackhawk_091_[Quality1955] -titansfan.cbz
Bob_Colt_06 [Fawcett1951] -titansfan.cbz
Bob_Colt_10 [Fawcett1951] -titansfan.cbz
Billy_the_Kid_and_Oscar_03 [Fawcett1946] -titansfan.cbz
Charlie_Chan_04 [Prize1948] -titansfan.cbz
Crack_Western_75 [Quality1951] -titansfan.cbz
Diary_Loves_12 [Quality1951] -titansfan.cbz
George_Pal's_Puppetoons_03 [Fawcett1946] -titansfan.cbz
Hoppy_the_Marvel_Bunny_05 [Fawcett1946] -titansfan.cbz
Li'l_Genius_12 [Charlton1957] -titansfan.cbz
Marmaduke_Mouse_36 [Quality1953] -titansfan.cbz
Military_Comics_12 [Quality1942] -titansfan.cbz
Military_Comics_22 [Quality1943] -titansfan.cbz
Military_Comics_31 [Quality1944] -titansfan.cbz
My_Little_Margie_10 [Charlton1956] -titansfan.cbz
My_Little_Margie_13 [Charlton1956] -titansfan.cbz
My_Little_Margie's_Boyfriends_06 [Charlton1957] -titansfan.cbz
Napoleon 1930s newspaper strips from JonTheScanner
Negro_Romances_04 [Charlton1955] -Soothsayr+Kracalactaka.cbz
Police_Comics_107 [Quality1951] -titansfan-cover_and_Ifc_Krac_.cbz
Romantic_Story_30 [Charlton1956]_titansfan.cbz
Romantic_Story_37 [Charlton1956]_titansfan.cbz
Secrets_of_Young_Brides_09 [Charlton1958] -titanfan.cbz
Smash_Comics_39 [Quality1943] -titansfan.cbz
Spirit_Section_1944_09_10 -OtherEric.cbz
Spook 028 [Star1954]-c2c -Tigertail777.cbz
Sweetheart_Diary_39 [Charlton1957] -titansfan.cbz
This_Magazine_is_Crazy_v3_#04 [Charlton1958] -titansfan.cbz
Wedding_Bells_06 [Quality1954]_titansfan.cbz
Whiz_015 [Fawcett1941] -rangerhouse+movielover.cbz
Wonder Comics 05 [Nedor1945] -rgustke
Wow Comics 039 [Fawcett1945]-c2c -titansfan+movielover.cbz
Blackhawk 016 [Quality1947]-srca1941.cbz
Exciting Comics 50 -[Nedor1946] -srca1941
Flash-Thrill Comics 001 (Ashcan recreation) -srca1941.cbz
Bell Bakeries Adven. of Peter Wheat Cart (1949) -OtherEric+Yoc.cbz
Blue Bolt 001 [Novety1943][2fiche] -Rangerhouse+Yoc.cbz
Frankenstein Comics 021 [Prize1952]-c2c  -Pmack-Yoc.cbz
Frankenstein Comics 019 [Prize1952][no ifc,ibc]-inc -Pmack+Yoc.cbz

Here's to another great year!
-Yoc

Digital Comic Museum

It's our NINTH Anniversary today! (2019.03.28)
« on: March 28, 2019, 09:11:29 AM »

Offline erwin-k

• VIP
  • DCM Member
  • New Pulp Writer
Re: It's our NINTH Anniversary today! (2019.03.28)
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2019, 04:07:04 PM »
Here, here!!

DCM's new year begins on a high note…

Gosh-Wow, folks, what do I grab first? ??? :-[ :-/

With many thanks to all the scanners, editors, staff, and members who frequent the forums.

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 13 Years Strong!
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2019, 06:56:08 PM »
Thanks Bob!
It was a very nice and varied batch of books shared today.  A little bit of every genre to make you happy.

++++++

And DCM super donor Richard Murray sent this email to us directly:

Hello Yoc and the DCM Staff,

Congratulations on 9 Great Years!  Keep up the wonderful work you have been doing, and I’ll keep checking in on the website.

Very sincerely,
Richard Murray

Offline darkmark (RIP)

• VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2019, 06:41:22 PM »
El neato!  Don't know how many years i've been with you, but it's been a few!

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 13 Years Strong!
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2019, 03:36:54 PM »
Thanks Mark!
I looked and your profile says you joined March 02, 2008.

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 13 Years Strong!
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2019, 07:13:53 PM »
I just learned that SPOOK 28 had a dupe of page 20 in it.  I've uploaded a fixed version of the book with the missing page added.
Sorry for the trouble!

-Yoc

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 13 Years Strong!
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2019, 12:56:25 PM »
I've put this anniversary banner back up as it was used a very short time before we learned of the death of DCM staffer Geo and switch to a special banner to mark his passing.

-Yoc