developed-responsibility
- +

Author Topic: Captain Triumph vs. The Red Mask  (Read 1357 times)

Offline TheCosmicMoth

• VIP
  • DCM Member
Captain Triumph vs. The Red Mask
« on: April 05, 2017, 01:24:22 PM »
Hey guys, I'm a big Grant Morrison fan and one of the most memorable issues he ever did was Animal Man #7, "The Death of the Red Mask." If you haven't read it, the plot centered around a Golden Age super-villain called The Red Mask who goes out for one last hurrah as he's dying of cancer. The Red Mask might have been created by Morrison just for this issue, but he mentions once battling Captain Triumph. He also mentions teaming with another villain called The Veil. I've tried to find him in Crack Comics before, but I came up empty. However, there is a Red Mask listed as one of Captain Triumphs enemies on the good Captain's Public Domain Superheroes entry.

I know this is a long shot, but does anyone know if The Red Mask does have a Golden Age appearance in Crack Comics? If so, what issue? If anyone would know, I figured it would be one of you.

Here's The Red Masks DC wiki entry: [size=78%]http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/Red_Mask_(New_Earth)[/size]
And here's Captain Triumph's PDS entry: [/size][size=78%]http://pdsh.wikia.com/wiki/Captain_Triumph[/size]

If I eventually find him in Crack Comics... or even if I don't then I'll let you know.

Digital Comic Museum

Captain Triumph vs. The Red Mask
« on: April 05, 2017, 01:24:22 PM »

Offline twiztor

• VIP
  • DCM Member
Re: Captain Triumph vs. The Red Mask
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2017, 02:00:38 AM »
granted, i haven't read all of the Crack Comics issues, but i have always been under the impression that he was created for the Animal Man appearances. Sure would be neat if there is a legit Golden Age appearance, tho!

Online Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2017, 08:40:14 AM »
Hi CM,
I think you need to get to know the wonders that are found on the Grand Comic Database.
You can search under several categories including characters and then sort by date.  Here's the URL to search for Red Mask -
https://www.comics.org/character/name/Red%20Mask/sort/chrono/

I see there's been a few of them.  No idea if they are the same character though.  We have most of the public domain appearances here so let us know if you think it's the same Morrison character.

Have fun!
-Yoc

Offline TheCosmicMoth

• VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2017, 02:25:18 PM »
Thanks, Yoc. I didn't know that you could search The Grand Comic Database by character. And, yeah, there are a ton of Red Masks. It seems to be a pretty common name in the Golden Age. I didn't spot my Red Mask in the search listing, but thank you for posting it.

twiztor, yeah, I figure he was probably created by Grant for the story, but my interest was piqued when I saw his name listed on the PDS entry. Also, Grant has used public domain Golden Age characters before in Zenith, so I figured it might be worth a look.