developed-responsibility
- +

Author Topic: Hi All! I'm Christy!  (Read 1534 times)

Offline ccoombs

• DCM Member
Hi All! I'm Christy!
« on: February 18, 2015, 08:01:12 AM »
Hey All. I'm grateful to have found this site!
I want to give you all a bit of an intro to myself and my purpose for being here, and I hope I can get some help from all of you, too!

My name is Christy and I am currently in my senior year for my bachelor's. As part of my school's degree program, I have started my 1-year senior research project, where I will essentially be writing a book.. the topic I have chosen for this research is a comparative study of the social reactions to comics in the United States and in Japan.

I have been a fan of American and Japanese animation/TV shows since I was a kid, and have been fairly involved in Japanese comics and culture (considering I am working towards an Asian Studies degree). However, for this research, I will need to know MUCH more about both topics.

I admittingly know much more about the history of Japanese comics than I do American, but I know a good bit so far. At least enough to know about the book burnings and practically expulsion of them in America.

I am just about to finish the book the Ten-Cent Plague, and about to start Comic Book Nation. I was THRILLED to find this site, so I can use the comics as primary sources, and (hopefully) get better background knowledge and guidance from the community as well.

I would probably like to make my own thread on the forum (if that's ok), where I can receive more feedback and advice.

I'm sorry if that was a bit too long.. I'm glad to meet all of you  :)

Digital Comic Museum

Hi All! I'm Christy!
« on: February 18, 2015, 08:01:12 AM »

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
Re: Hi All! I'm Christy!
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2015, 08:37:28 AM »
Welcome to the site Christy!
You've picked a good book to read first.  Another source you might consider is TwoMorrows' 'American Comic Book Chronicles' series.  Each volume covers a different decade in comics history.  Not every decade has been done yet but the one I've read was pretty good.
http://tinyurl.com/npjssfc

TwoMorrows has a LOT of publications you might want to look into.
Good luck!

Offline erwin-k

• VIP
  • DCM Member
  • New Pulp Writer
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2015, 02:43:51 PM »
Welcome Christy,

You have an interesting challenge ahead of you. I have no idea how the Japanese comic industry has been shaped by (self) censorship. Or how the industry has differentiated between stuff strictly for kids and that for older readers. I only have two of Japanese comics. One is clearly for kids. The other has a photographic nude centerfold.

To this day there are still Americans who think that all comics are only for kids. (And today, finally, the majority of adult Americans realize that animation is not strictly for kids.)

Censorship often has unintended consequences. Fear of offending racists caused the Comics Code Authority (Atrocity, IMO.) to ban most non-white characters, save villainous Japanese and Native Americans, for a decade or more.

One topic I believe you will need to address is the debate over whether violence in media causes violence, and other unwanted behavior, in people. I've read that the two societies have very different views on the subject. I have battled well intentioned people who wanted to tell me what was safe for me to read and view. Not to mention limit my choices for what my children would be allowed to read and view. (A very sore subject to me.)

Please do post, or ask questions, as your project progresses.

Offline ccoombs

• DCM Member
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2015, 07:47:35 AM »
Thank you both (and anyone else who has viewed this).

I will certainly take advice from both of you and look up the TwoMorrow's website and search more on the mentioned topics.
I was glad to recognize that I feel I could already discuss at least part of the questions brought up by erwin, so I will be sure to include that information in my final product.

As for my activity on this site, would either of you (or anyone) suggest that I make a separate thread in another part of the forum for advice, tips, and updates? I mentioned this previously, but since I am new here, I'm not quite sure if that would be ok, or where would be the best place to place it.
(Comic Related Discussion, General Discussion.. ) I would love to get a hold of more people for advice and sharing the info.

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2015, 12:12:05 PM »
Hi Christy,
Sure, feel free to start another topic in either Comic Related Discussion or General Discussion.

Offline srca1941

• VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2015, 11:04:15 AM »
Feel free to ask anything you want to know about. I know nothing about Japanese comics, but I'll gladly help you with anything you want to know about American ones and Japanese depictions in them. Another useful book to check out is Gerard Jones' "Men of Tomorrow." It is an excellent overview of the Golden Age (albeit a little DC-centric) and a good primer on the Silver Age.

-Eric

Offline erwin-k

• VIP
  • DCM Member
  • New Pulp Writer
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2015, 01:29:19 PM »
Hi Christy,

If you do start other topics, please leave a note here in case we do not notice the new ones on the main forum pages.

Good luck & stay OFF the Writer's Block!    ::)

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2015, 10:49:57 PM »
Sure, that works.
There's also the 'Show unread posts since last visit' on the front page of the forum up on the top left under your name.

-Yoc