- +

Author Topic: Viewing on an ipad?  (Read 2646 times)

Offline petown

• Super Donor!
  • VIP
  • DCM Member
  • Into Fifties crime, war, sci-fi, and romance
Viewing on an ipad?
« on: January 18, 2015, 11:39:46 PM »
I see some older notes for kindle/ipad viewing and tried looking up the older apps listed but still not having much luck easily viewing the comics on an ipad. Any new suggestions or apps I can try? Thanks!

Digital Comic Museum

Viewing on an ipad?
« on: January 18, 2015, 11:39:46 PM »

Offline petown

• Super Donor!
  • VIP
  • DCM Member
Re: Viewing on an ipad?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2015, 10:43:40 AM »
I did try the Preview method, thanks for mentioning, but the image is (ironically) TOO big to comfortably read and I end up scrolling around all the time to read the page. I think I've been spoiled by Comixology-style comic book reading so now I'm looking for something that displays the whole page on the whole screen and then lets me flip pages. Maybe I'm dreaming! :) It views so perfectly on my laptop but I'd like to do the same on the iPad.

Online Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2015, 08:44:00 PM »
Hi Petown,
Here's a link you might try that compares some of the more popular iPad comic reader apps side by side - http://www.comicbookreaderguide.com/ipad_iphone/
I hope one of them fits your needs.

Good luck!
-Yoc

Offline petown

• Super Donor!
  • VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2015, 09:00:10 PM »
I will be checking these out! Thanks for the link.  :D

Offline Zog

• Curator
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2015, 04:46:46 AM »

Online Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2015, 07:58:12 AM »
Thanks Zog!
That opens to mostly French text though there is English here -
http://www.bdzmag.com/-Comic-Book-Reader-Library-

Offline petown

• Super Donor!
  • VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2015, 08:57:36 AM »
Merci beaucoup Zog! I will check this out as well  ;)

Offline paw broon

• VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2015, 09:10:47 AM »
Thanks Zog, for the link.  I hadn't realised my scans of French comics had appeared on other sites. Made my day. :)
Not having an Apple device and preferring an android tablet, I'm not sure about the best reader for I pad, but there are independent reviews available for some/all of those listed.
I have to saythat with French graphic novels and the many British bigger than standard American comics, Topper etc. , I read them in landscape and tap the right middle of my screen to scroll up.  If you need to see the complete page in a oner, turn the tablet up to portrait.  Works for me.
Stephen Montgomery

Online Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2015, 02:29:23 PM »
Thanks Paw.
If ANYONE reading this topic has a suggestion for apps, iPad or not, please let us know what you are using to read scans from DCM.
Thanks!

Offline petown

• Super Donor!
  • VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2015, 03:11:33 PM »
Good info here!

Paw, I will try the landscape mode tip.

Yoc, thanks for polling the group.

All that being said, I am using the Preview mode for now with OK results. Not ideal but it does the trick for the time being -- as the search goes on!  :)

Offline paw broon

• VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2015, 05:25:08 AM »
Perhaps I have simplified this too much.  Don't be discouraged, please.  My suggestion was based on what I do, having installed a file manager and perfect viewer onto my Samsung tablet.
As I said, I don't know a lot about ipad, never having used any Apple device.  However I've been doing a bit of research and I think you should take a look at this site:-
http://appadvice.com/appguides/show/comic-file-readers
The 2 free apps seem ok and will probably work ok for viewing .cbz, .cbr and, I think, pdf files.
The problem with ipad apps is that many of them cost - (hint to anyone tempted to buy a tablet for comic reading, there are many more free android apps offered on Google store) - so you might decide to pay for a speedy, all singing and dancing comic reader.  Someone on here must know more about this and could suggest the best to try.
Going back to displaying bigger than standard American comics, with perfectviewer on android, there is an almost invisible, small 3 bar button at the top of the screen when a comic is loaded up.  Tapping this brings up a menu and one of the options lets you change the size of the page on the screen.  So, the tablet being held in landscape, choosing "fit to width" brings up the top of the page and you can either scroll down as normal, or tap the right hand side of the page which will bring up the next section of the page.  Excellent for reading fullsheet comics, French G.N,s and Sunday compilations such as Charlie Chan.
I can't say often enough how easy I find reading comics on my Samsung.  Installing the free app, File Manager, lets you find downloads on both the device memory and on a micro SD card, if you have one.  Tapping a title and choosing "open as image" will automatically bring up the comic on perfectviewer.  This works for .cbz, .cbr and pdf files and pdf files look much better on the perfectviewer pdf extension than on the normal pdf viewers, because you don't have to scroll down and have a bar at the top, you simply tap the right hand side of the screen to flip to the next page.
Curious to read more opinions on this subject as it's a growing part of the hobby.
Stephen Montgomery