- +

Author Topic: File Extensions  (Read 1592 times)

Offline thundergirls

• Repeat donor!
  • VIP
  • DCM Member
File Extensions
« on: December 03, 2014, 09:52:53 AM »
First, I wish to thank all the dedicated scanners for this truly fantastic ongoing project. It is particularly impressive that often better scans are provided, showing the dedication to quality on the part of the scanners. I know this is a time consuming effort and surely this is a labor of love.

I wonder though, why many of the downloads remain with a .zip or .rar file extension? It is my modest understanding that most comic book readers today will open the .cbz and .cbr extensions by default (though it seems on a tablet the reading software doesn't care, it recognizes and opens all).

Changing the extension is easy with the PC settings of "show known extensions."

It's a very minor inconvenience for me to change the extension as I download (preferring the cbz and cbr format), so I do not wish this considered as a complaint but rather a query.

Again thanks for the continued hard work and great enjoyment provided.

Digital Comic Museum

File Extensions
« on: December 03, 2014, 09:52:53 AM »

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
Re: File Extensions
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2014, 11:22:19 AM »
Hi TG,
Glad you are enjoying the site.  Our scan uploaders are the back-bone of the site.

I would guess this is done mostly by habit .  As long as it is a zip/cbz or rar/cbr our software and readers should be able to use the files as they are uploaded.
If members find it isn't working on their end it's not hard to change it if needed.

-Yoc

Offline JonTheScanner

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
Re: File Extensions
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2014, 04:29:43 PM »
Personally I change the .cbr and .cbz files to .rar and .zip then decompress them as I don't like using any of the readers.  I do however, try to remember to change the file extensions before uploading.

But the other thing is I suppose no one has gone back and changed all the uploads. I think that might require reuploading all of them or at the very least someone spending a lot of time doing it one by one on line.