developed-responsibility
- +

Author Topic: Gleason Daredevil Comics 12 All Paper C2C  (Read 1876 times)

Offline SteveD

• VIP
  • DCM Member
Gleason Daredevil Comics 12 All Paper C2C
« on: November 29, 2014, 12:35:45 PM »
An End to the misery of Fiche reading!
On the way is Daredevil Comics #12 August 1942 c2c all paper with judicious (and hopefully invisible) restoration of cover damage, etc etc bla bla bla.

Digital Comic Museum

Gleason Daredevil Comics 12 All Paper C2C
« on: November 29, 2014, 12:35:45 PM »

Offline Geo (RIP)

• Global Moderator
  • DCM Member
Re: Gleason Daredevil Comics 12 All Paper C2C
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2014, 02:55:06 PM »
And thank you for it, alway welcome on replacing those old fiche files that sometimes you can't even read. Thanks again for it.

Geo
Filling holes, by ONE book at a time

Offline darkmark (RIP)

• VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2014, 10:11:22 PM »
Well, thanks!  I'll admit that sometimes the fiche are hard to read...but they're better than not having anything!  ;)

Offline Geo (RIP)

• Global Moderator
  • DCM Member
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2014, 08:50:09 PM »
Agreed DM.

Geo
Filling holes, by ONE book at a time

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2014, 11:34:59 PM »
Steve is aware of the missing pg48.  The fiche will be used as a fill if he can't provide a paper scan.
And this is an excellent example of how a fiche scan, no matter the quality, can be helpful.
:)

Offline SteveD

• VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2014, 08:36:21 AM »
Also an abject lesson in why it ISN'T a good idea -- no matter how well intentioned-- to post during a five day holiday weekend with the kids home going stir crazy til Daddy takes them out of the house and then trying to compile the damned files and finally posting the little bugger at, like 2am NYC time.
Sheeesh.
If I cannot recover my original PS files, yep, that Fiche of p48 is gonna get cleaned up and sharpened as best I can do it and gingerly reinserted into the bleeding patient on the table with as much surgical precision as I can muster. Hiccup.

And don't get me wrong, in the absence of ANYTHING else, we must settle on fiche-quality copies, it's just that so many of the fiches we see look like they were shot by a blind guy with a pinhole camera made from an oatmeal box. (I can recall getting adverts in the mail from some fella in New Jersey --pre-internet-- who was selling golden age microfiche copies of a lot of these books.. was HIS material as lousy looking as some of the stuff we've gotten on here? I'm horrified to think that some of these fiche copies are from libraries and institutes of higher education... how can the yearning learned class appreciate the true quality of our crappy funnybooks from this stuff???) I will be posting an otherwise lovely copy of Gleason's DAREDEVIL COMICS #14 in short order, and unfortunately my copy is missing the two center-spreads, so 8 pages of that upload will be relying on the fice copy presently on the site, and I for one am eternally grateful we have what we have, for that reason and so many others!

With mortified regret at my oversight, I remain,
« Last Edit: December 01, 2014, 08:41:02 AM by SteveD »

Offline SteveD

• VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2014, 02:43:12 PM »
reeyuploaded. completeness. exhalation.

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2014, 03:22:16 PM »
Thanks from all those stamp ad page fans Steve.
;)

Offline SteveD

• VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2014, 04:41:28 PM »
Twasn't all for nought, quoth the spirit of the late Sidney M. Elias, who went to his great reward believing there were myriad fans who didn't give a whiff about "Scoop Scuttle" or "Daredevil" but eagerly snapped up Gleason books JUST for his exhaustively researched text filler pages -- complete with photostats of stamps from his own personal collection-- and postal regulation text requirements be damned! (now we look in the mirror and begin to cry, for whatever reason suits us)

Offline CBpop

• Repeat Donor!
  • VIP
  • DCM Member
  • Solar Guard
    • Solar Guard Academy
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2014, 06:43:05 AM »
Hi Steve,
I can relate to your a dilemma of time, effort and distractions of the family.  With the activities of 6 grandchildren in the house at any given time, it is hard to find time to delve into the archives of research, restoration and relaxation of the Golden Age of comics. 

Thanks for your efforts in getting these gems back into view, I know it has an effect on all generations because I have been able to interest several of our grand kids in reading a book instead of playing games on their I-Phones  ;) Our trip to Disney World was made better by having a few comics on my tablet to read and have read by our crew of 12.  Hang in there Steve, there is hope for the next generation of readers thanks to DCM and efforts like yours.

Ed

Offline SteveD

• VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2014, 06:16:20 PM »
Before I was getting all flubbed up looking at that fool in the mirror fanatically formatting funnybook files... sniff... Now, Pop, y'got me choked up feeling like the future of the reading public lays upon my shoulders... ::cue Battle Hymn of the Republic::

Offline CBpop

• Repeat Donor!
  • VIP
  • DCM Member
  • Solar Guard
    • Solar Guard Academy
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2014, 06:03:22 AM »
Ah, go ahead you big lug... give a tear or two to the cause..... ::cue "Army Air Corps" AKA US Air Force song ::   ;D