- +

Author Topic: Greetings!  (Read 1087 times)

Offline jam320

• DCM Member
Greetings!
« on: November 13, 2014, 08:00:52 AM »
Greetings stateside  ;D

I am interested in finding threads on scanning old comics for archive purposes. Since most of my golden age are not PD I would only be able to scan for my personal collection. With that said, does anyone know of a thread or have suggestions on the best scanning techniques with comics that maintains their integrity. Many of my comics are poor grade or high enough that I fear scanning them because I may bend, warp, stress, etc. the spines. Any comments are appreciated!!!!

Digital Comic Museum

Greetings!
« on: November 13, 2014, 08:00:52 AM »

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
Re: Greetings!
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2014, 08:44:11 AM »
Hi Jam,
DCM has  staffer, Rangerhouse, who purchased an expensive but perfect machine for sure projects.
You can see it at the start of this topic on our forum - http://digitalcomicmuseum.com/forum/index.php/topic,4081.0.html
That doesn't help you (unless you'd like to send your books to RH for scanning, many have) but it does show that such machines do exist.  If you live in the Washington area the Library of Congress has an onsite scanner that is somewhat the same but warning, the colour calibration can be off with theirs.
For home scanning there are some machines that have their scan beds flush with the end of the glass allowing you to put a book on an over at the centre gutter.  Sorry, I don't have specifics.
Perhaps some others out there could make some suggestions.

Good luck on this.  Preserving these books before time takes them away forever is a noble quest.

-Yoc

Offline jam320

• DCM Member
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2014, 09:03:20 AM »
Thanks Yoc. I wish I had that scanner!  I'll be looking for a scanner with a flush bed. Your suggestions are appreciated!!!

Offline CBpop

• Repeat Donor!
  • VIP
  • DCM Member
  • Solar Guard
    • Solar Guard Academy
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2014, 05:23:07 AM »
Hi Jam,
I have been using a less expensive home scanner for the past few months that works well.  The Plustek OpticBook 3800 does a good job that allows close to the edge scanning without having to flatten the comic spine. I bought my Plustek from Staples-online but I have seen them on Newegg and Microcenter sites.  Be sure to read the reviews and compare prices.  Good Luck and
Happy Scanning
Ed