- +

Author Topic: An appreciation  (Read 1462 times)

Offline minerva

• DCM Member
An appreciation
« on: April 07, 2014, 09:04:01 PM »
Hi, everyone.  I've been here a while now and I've been downloading or reading online to my heart's content, and I really have to thank all those fine and dedicated folks who've been scanning and sharing their goodies!  Believe me, I know how much work is involved -- even if it is a labour of love -- in carefully positioning and scanning comics, and rotating by degrees, cropping, resizing and enhancing the images, and then creating and uploading files.  I appreciate all your work.

I became a comic book fan in the mid-1960s when i was little more than a baby, mostly Marvel comics, and was an avid reader until 1979.  I still have about 5000 of them.  Most of my comics are post-1960, so I really haven't any I can contribute here.

Over the past few decades I've been a big fan of Golden Age comics of every variety (superhero, horror, teen, funny animal, crime, etc.), as well as newspaper strips (I'm especially keen on Winsor McCay's stuff, as well as Little Orphan Annie and Little Annie Rooney), so it's great to have this site and be able to read the same comics that thrilled kids in the 1950s or '30s or even the 1890s.  (Especially since I can't afford to buy any of these treasures.)

What you're doing here is noble.  And it's important.  Not many copies are left of the originals.  They're decaying.  They're languishing in boxes.  99% of these comics will never be collected in print, yet so many of them deserve to be preserved, and made available to anyone interested in some fun and entertainment from the olden days.  These comics and characters, and the writers and artists who created them, should never be forgotten.

Digital Comic Museum

An appreciation
« on: April 07, 2014, 09:04:01 PM »

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
Re: An appreciation
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2014, 11:24:32 PM »
Hi Minerva,
I couldn't have put it better if I tried.  You've covered the exact reasons DCM was started.  To preserve and share as many public domain comics as possible before they eventually turn to dust or are sealed inside plastic coffins never to be read again.  Not ever GA comic is a treasure to read but every one of them deserves to be scanned and saved for posterity.

Thanks for you very kind words.  Feel free to chime in any time you like,
-Yoc