- +

Author Topic: PBS's "Superheroes: A Never-Ending Battle" documentary  (Read 1853 times)

Offline Roygbiv666

• Repeat Donor!
  • VIP
  • DCM Member
    • Standard Comics
PBS's "Superheroes: A Never-Ending Battle" documentary
« on: October 21, 2013, 08:11:27 PM »
[check your local listings]

Saw episode one tonight (new PVR!) and enjoyed seeing interviews with the old timers (Irwin Hasen!), many of whom has died since their segments were shot (Infantino, Simon, Kubert).

And yes, Lynda Carter is still fine.

Too bad it's only 3 hours, I think the material could support more hours easily; 25 years per hours is a brisk pace.

Digital Comic Museum

PBS's "Superheroes: A Never-Ending Battle" documentary
« on: October 21, 2013, 08:11:27 PM »

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
Re: PBS's "Superheroes: A Never-Ending Battle" documentary
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2013, 09:07:34 PM »
Watched pt1 as well.  Pt2 next week.
There wasn't much new being said but there was some photos and original art I hadn't seen before.
Simon talking about reusing the Blue Bolt's origin on Capt. America was a funny moment.  'If it's a good idea you should reuse it at least 8 times!'  HA!
Jim Steranko has some amazing hair don't he?

Offline Roygbiv666

• Repeat Donor!
  • VIP
  • DCM Member
    • Standard Comics
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2013, 06:18:41 AM »
I hope I have Steranko hair when I'm silver.

To recycle my post on the JBF forum: I think it was Joe Simon who was discussing his page rate back in the day ($5/page) when he noted that one trick was to use an explosion on the page that took up 2-4 panels.

I can just picture some comic 'historian' in a book waxing poetic about how Simon/Kirby pushed the form of the medium with experimental panels of blah blah blah, when it was just a clever way to get more pages done in the same period of time.

But, necessity is the mother of invention.

Watched pt1 as well.  Pt2 next week.
There wasn't much new being said but there was some photos and original art I hadn't seen before.
Simon talking about reusing the Blue Bolt's origin on Capt. America was a funny moment.  'If it's a good idea you should reuse it at least 8 times!'  HA!
Jim Steranko has some amazing hair don't he?

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2013, 09:29:04 AM »
Hi Roy,
Speed was king and I've read Kirby could start a page without pencils and ink it in no time flat.  THAT is amazing!

I'll be watching pt2 of this next week which focuses on the 60s and Marvel with much interest.

Offline Roygbiv666

• Repeat Donor!
  • VIP
  • DCM Member
    • Standard Comics
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2013, 12:36:30 PM »
I vaguely recall hearing he could pencil a page an hour ... I could have been drunk.

Hi Roy,
Speed was king and I've read Kirby could start a page without pencils and ink it in no time flat.  THAT is amazing!

I'll be watching pt2 of this next week which focuses on the 60s and Marvel with much interest.

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2013, 04:40:58 PM »
Yeah, his value was highest as a penciler and Simon or others would ink a lot of his work.
Over on the Kirby Museum site they've tried to nail down inkers, etc on different Kirby works.

-yoc

Offline bminor

• Keeper of the Comics
  • VIP
  • DCM Member
    • Brian and Rebecca Minor Watercolors
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2013, 11:52:49 AM »
When the "Special Edition" of the first Fantastic Four movie came out just before the second film, there was a tribute film dedicated to Jack Kirby. I had heard that the directors cut of the first Fanatistic Four movie was going to have a this film and it was worth buying just for the this extra feature.

In the Jack Kirby tribute film, I think it was Neal Adams, said he saw Jack start a complete drawing, not sketching or blocking anything out, on a blank sheet of paper. Neal said, as he watched, Jack started a detailed drawing in the upper left corner and progressed down to the bottom right corner with a finished, completed drawing.

Astonishing.

He could see the completed drawing on the paper before he drew it.

I myself am a artist and have done a lot of drawings of people. The more I have done it, the better I have become. At times when I look at the person, then the blank paper, I sometimes "see" the portrait on the blank paper, it is almost like a paint by number, just fill in the appropriate space.

But never from memory like Jack could. I would have to sketch out, erase, try again, if I attempted to do it from memory.

Again, astonishing ability.

Jack was a great guy and a great artist.

He is truly missed.

B.