developed-responsibility
- +

Author Topic: file sharing between comic book lover and PC  (Read 7222 times)

Offline thrindle

• Repeat Donor!
  • VIP
  • DCM Member
file sharing between comic book lover and PC
« on: June 29, 2013, 08:21:26 PM »
HI, I'm trying to transfer comics from my Ipad to my PC. My comic reader is Comic Book Lover, and I'm trying to transfer the comic book files to my PC. I downloaded I tunes, but it doesn't show any files to transfer. Itunes lists Comic Book Lover as capable of file transfer, but nothing shows up. I have almost a gigabyte of comic books and I'd like to have a backup since my Ipad's pretty full. Any help would be appreciated.

Digital Comic Museum

file sharing between comic book lover and PC
« on: June 29, 2013, 08:21:26 PM »

Offline misappear

• DCM Member
Re: file sharing between comic book lover and PC
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2013, 08:38:18 PM »
Can you email the files to yourself?  I realize that it's arduous, but I've had to do that with pictures and stuff. Also, Apple has an icloud which might help. Never used it though

Buena suerte

Offline Mark Warner

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
    • Comic Book Plus
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2013, 02:12:33 AM »
I have also never used iCloud but I think that would work. Or sign up (free) for something similar like Google Drive and copy your files there :)

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2013, 12:26:12 PM »
Dang, you would have to believe there has to be some way to do this short of the cloud or emailing stuff again!
*shesh!*

Offline thrindle

• Repeat Donor!
  • VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2013, 04:55:38 PM »
Are there better comic reader apps out there that would be more user friendly maybe?

Offline Mark Warner

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
    • Comic Book Plus
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2013, 12:28:41 AM »
You were saying you wanted to move files and backup files. Therefore copying them to some cloud server is the obvious solution. It's just drag and drop. What is the best comic book reader is really a different issue.

Offline misappear

• DCM Member
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2013, 02:49:02 PM »
To add to what Mark said; the problem is getting files off an iPad into, say, a PC.  Whether comics, or documents, pictures, Keynotes, etc, Apple does not make it extraordinarily easy to get material from its products to PC directly.  My school system uses iPads 1:1 with students but the whole district operates on Dell computers.  We have to use a third interface to get the machines talking.  Extra steps, but it works fine.

I have, I don't know, maybe a terabyte of comics and pulps.  I wouldn't recommend using an iPad, or any reading device for that matter, as a primary downloading tool.  I've never understood storing anything long-term on an iPad.  I view those as reading devices, so I load, read, and delete.  Therefore, if a reader app lets you read a comic, it's pretty much done its job. 

Although we all have our own ways of doing things.  Once I read a comic, I usually don't go back to look at it for ten years or more (most of the time much more)   

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2013, 02:58:10 PM »
Thanks M.
So is it easy to move files from a PC to an iPad?

Offline Geo (RIP)

• Global Moderator
  • DCM Member
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2013, 12:09:39 AM »
HI, I'm trying to transfer comics from my Ipad to my PC. My comic reader is Comic Book Lover, and I'm trying to transfer the comic book files to my PC. I downloaded I tunes, but it doesn't show any files to transfer. Itunes lists Comic Book Lover as capable of file transfer, but nothing shows up. I have almost a gigabyte of comic books and I'd like to have a backup since my Ipad's pretty full. Any help would be appreciated.

The only way it looks like is to transfer the files to the iCloud from ComicBook Lover under the setting menu. I haven't tried this myself but it should do what you need to save the files, then transfer them to a Mac or PC from the cloud. Myself I've only transfer them from the Mac to the iPad Mini.

Geo
Filling holes, by ONE book at a time

Offline startreksteve

• DCM Member
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2013, 08:30:01 AM »
I use dropbox to put comics in and a sync program on Android to transfer them to the tablet, runs at startup, Once theyre in Dropbox on the PC, they sync as soon as the tablet starts.

Offline johndesmarais

• Repeat donor!
  • VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2013, 04:49:31 PM »
Are there better comic reader apps out there that would be more user friendly maybe?

I use Comic Flow, and have been pretty happy with it.  It's a very minimal app though, with almost no file management tools in it.

Offline johndesmarais

• Repeat donor!
  • VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2013, 04:59:23 PM »

I'm assuming you meant "Comic Book Love" not "Comic Book Lover" (as I couldn't find an app called "Comic Book Lover" but I did find one called "Comic Book Love").

Here's the problem, Comic Book Love only uses iTunes to get files to itself, not to enable them to be copied back to your computer.

To get the files out of "Comic Book Love"

Step 1.  Go to http://www.macroplant.com/downloads.php and download iExplorer version 2 (yes, I know, 3 is available, but you want 2)
Step 2.  Run Executable to install iExplorer 2
Step 3.  Plug iPad into USB port on computer
Step 4.  Run iExplorer 2
Step 5.  In iExplorer navigate to {Your iPad} > Apps > ComicBook > Library > Private Documents > downloads
Step 6.  Select everything in the "downloads" folder
Step 7.  Drag and Drop selected files from iExplorer to a folder on your PC
Step 8.  Rename all files to add the extension .cbz

You should be able to open the files in any CBZ/CBR reader you like on your PC.

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2013, 08:36:51 PM »
Thanks John.
I thought iPads don't come with USB ports though, no?

Offline misappear

• DCM Member
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2013, 10:33:02 PM »
Yoc,
The iPad his that little proprietary gizmo on its bottom, but the other end of the cord is usb. You gotta be able to plug it in to get to iTunes on your PC.  Or whatever you're trying to get to.

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2013, 11:05:14 PM »
Oh, hey that's good to know. Thanks M.