developed-responsibility
- +

Author Topic: Any Western comics about Judge Roy Bean?  (Read 802 times)

Offline chaard

• DCM Member
Any Western comics about Judge Roy Bean?
« on: March 16, 2013, 02:14:54 PM »
I just re-watched the fine old hilarious classic THE WESTERNER with Gary Cooper, and Walter Brennan as Judge Roy Bean.  And I've been downloading comics based on Western movies, from both here and Archive.Org.  I haven't found any comics dealing with judge Bean, nor a comic version of that movie. Am I searching in vain?

Digital Comic Museum

Any Western comics about Judge Roy Bean?
« on: March 16, 2013, 02:14:54 PM »

Offline darkmark (RIP)

• VIP
  • DCM Member
Re: Any Western comics about Judge Roy Bean?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2013, 04:19:38 PM »
According to the GCD, he was in BUSTER CRABBE COMICS #2 (Eastern Color), FOUR COLOR #222, RANGERS COMICS #64, and THE WESTERNER #15.  Does that help?

Offline chaard

• DCM Member
Re: Any Western comics about Judge Roy Bean?
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2013, 06:04:53 PM »
According to the GCD, he was in BUSTER CRABBE COMICS #2 (Eastern Color), FOUR COLOR #222, RANGERS COMICS #64, and THE WESTERNER #15.  Does that help?

Yes, a great deal of help! First, thanks for pointing me to the GCD -- I just searched it for the first time. Besides the issues you mentioned, it also pointed me to a (non-PD) Lucky Luke book. I happen to have the (digital) US version, published by Cinebook as Lucky Luke #24 The Judge. Very funny story! And I found 3 of the issues you mentioned, right here at DCM:

Buster Crabbe #2: A full and funny story, "Judge Roy Bean's Bear"
Rangers Comics #64: essentially a cameo shot -- barely a Ripley
The Westerner #15: "Wildfire" features the judge; and there's a 2-page article piece on Roy Bean

Four Color #222 ("West of the Pecos") isn't here, isn't at Archive.Org, and I'm not sure where else to look for it. But the GCD says that Roy Bean is just a cameo there, so I'm not too disappointed. Meanwhile, I thought I had some Roy Bean material in my Desert Rat Scrap Book collection, but apparently not.

The only question left is: Was a comic version of THE WESTERNER movie ever made? I've just searched the GCD for all the key names, with no luck. So I guess the answer is NO. Now I'm disappointed. Darn.

Thanks for your help!