developed-responsibility
- +

Author Topic: failed downloads - server problem?  (Read 4084 times)

Offline chaard

• DCM Member
failed downloads - server problem?
« on: February 17, 2013, 11:18:50 AM »
 :-/ I'm having significant problems trying to download some files, especially larger ones. Many downloads just won't won't finish on my Windoze machine. If I use the DownThemAll d/l manager, it reports timeouts. If I use the browser d/l manager, I'll see the d/l stall; I'll pause and try to restart, but it then reports that the source files can't be found. Whenever I pause a d/l, restarting it fails. I don't have these problems on d/l's from other sites, and my network meter shows a steady flow of other data streams, so I can't blame my local ISP. I've rebooted my machine, without improvement. Help!

Digital Comic Museum

failed downloads - server problem?
« on: February 17, 2013, 11:18:50 AM »

Offline John C

• Administrators
  • DCM Member
    • John's Blog
Re: failed downloads - server problem?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2013, 11:39:32 AM »
If I remember correctly, the software we use acts against download managers.  The early days of GAC saw people using download managers to try to download the entire site, sometimes with bugs that tried to grab the entire site repeatedly.

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2013, 01:35:25 PM »
We haven't heard from anyone else about troubles C.
Please give it another try, without any managers.  Perhaps a different web browser might be tried as well?

Offline chaard

• DCM Member
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2013, 02:01:00 PM »
What happens is that some portion of the file transfers, anywhere from 1% to 95% -- and then it stops, and won't restart. This happens with files from 5mb to 120mb, and the only correlation with size seems to be that slower d/l's are more likely to fail. Sometimes a d/l chugs along at 40kbs, and sooner-or-later fails. Another attempt on the same file might see 300kbs, and it succeeds. This is what leads me to believe it's a server issue.

AFAIK all browsers have built-in d/l managers. I'm not using a site-scooper, just 1-file-at-a-time d/l attempts. AFAIK the only way around those is with an ftp client. OK, I'll try other browsers. But as I said, I don't see this issue with other sites.

Offline chaard

• DCM Member
UPDATE Re: failed downloads - server problem?
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2013, 04:38:55 PM »
OK, I've fired-up a couple other browsers and tried more downloads and I can report some results. My usual browser is Mozilla Seamonkey (nice and lean, and less-hacked than Firefox) with DownThemAll (DTA)and FlashGot (FG) handling downloads. (All were updated yesterday.) The others are a recent Google Chrome, and Microsoft Internet Explorer 9.0 (MSIE); neither has any add-ons. So, how do these compare?

* Seamonkey/DTA/FG succeeds with short files and some long files, but often fails with timeout errors.
* Chrome and MSIE both succeed with some files, sometimes after failing with the same files, with interruption or network errors.
* With any of these warez, if the d/l is paused, it won't resume, but must restart from scratch.
* Meanwhile, d/l streams from other sites keep flowing with no problems.

It seems like the DCM server software just won't resume from interruptions. I've tried getting Out Our Way 1936 Dailies Jan-Jun (120mb) numerous times with all browsers mentioned. The d/l will fail when anywhere from 2% to 90% complete. I've probably d/l'd a couple gigabytes of that without a success. This is a waste of bandwidth. But what can I do, except keep retrying until it maybe succeds, or giving up in frustration?

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2013, 06:08:46 PM »
Hi again C,
Our software does not allow files to resume so no point in trying, sorry.
So far nobody else has reported any problems.  There might be a problem we don't know about.
How about trying again in a day or two?

Anyone else have trouble out there?

Offline larrytalbot

• VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2013, 10:01:00 PM »
I've had no problems downloading files here via Windows Internet Explorer.

Offline John C

• Administrators
  • DCM Member
    • John's Blog
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2013, 05:47:33 AM »
And as I said, it actively defeats download managers, so using something like DownloadThemAll is going to fail.  If you download the link with just the browser, don't pause, and wait for completion before starting the next download, you shouldn't see any significant problems.

Offline chaard

• DCM Member
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2013, 10:41:36 AM »
My latest attempts have been with Internet Explorer 9 with no add-on d/l managers, just what's built into the browser. I still constantly get DOWNLOAD TERMINATED error messages after anywhere from 3%-90% has transferred. So I guess I just have to continually restart the d/l until it eventually works.

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2013, 12:19:52 PM »
I wish we could help C but checking our end I don't see what could be wrong.

Offline JVJ (RIP)

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
  • paix
    • ImageS Magazine
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2013, 01:55:46 PM »
Two things, Chaard:
1. are you having the same problem if you simply attempt to download a single file using the [Download] button on the site?
2. have you checked your available space on your C: drive lately?

FWIW. (|:{>
Peace, Jim (|:{>

JVJ Publishing and VW inc.

Offline chaard

• DCM Member
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2013, 06:52:34 PM »
Two things, Chaard:
1. are you having the same problem if you simply attempt to download a single file using the [Download] button on the site?

That's the only way I try to download here. When I use Mozilla Seamonkey with DownThemAll, DTA only kicks in after I hit the button. If I use Chrome or MSIE, the browsers' built-in d/l managers take over. They all fail here.

2. have you checked your available space on your C: drive lately?

FWIW. (|:{>

I check it constantly, to make sure I have capacity for other download streams. Right now my C: has about 24 gigs free. That should be sufficient for a 120mb file, right? #8-)

I should mention that I'm not exactly a rookie here. I soldered-together my first digital computer 33 years ago, an old HeathKit H8 it was, and I've been online ever since. (I don't count earlier non-digital systems that lacked modems, nor the corporate intranets, back when I was paid to write financial systems in COBOL.) This doesn't mean that I don't screw up. That happens constantly. But the problems I have here at DCM just don't happen at other sites.

Offline narfstar

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2013, 07:45:27 PM »
I just tried downloading in chrome and firefox and did not have any problems

Offline JVJ (RIP)

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
  • paix
    • ImageS Magazine
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2013, 08:08:29 PM »

I should mention that I'm not exactly a rookie here. I soldered-together my first digital computer 33 years ago, an old HeathKit H8 it was, and I've been online ever since. (I don't count earlier non-digital systems that lacked modems, nor the corporate intranets, back when I was paid to write financial systems in COBOL.) This doesn't mean that I don't screw up. That happens constantly. But the problems I have here at DCM just don't happen at other sites.

One never knows, Chaard,
And it never hurts to ask.

I was in the process of soldering components on pc boards in the HP computer club when HP announced the HP 150 in 1983 and that was the end of the club and the beginning of my personal computer experience. That was only 30 years ago, so you've got me beat. But I have a terminal in my office at Advalloy in 1970, so I was an early adopter and user of the technology. We made leadframes for ICs, so that was pretty cutting edge, too. I didn't hang around long and am glad I didn't, but saw the potential.

Wish I could help with your download problems. Maybe the site just doesn't like you. :-\

JVJ Publishing and VW inc.

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2013, 08:20:54 PM »
Hi C,
Please don't think we dislike you!  We just can't figure out what is going wrong.
Have you tried the same files from CB+?  It might be worth trying to see if it happens there as well.
We both use the same core software for sharing though each have customized their version in different ways.  We also share quite a few of the same scans with some variances.

http://comicbookplus.com/