- +

Author Topic: Are wand scanners any good?  (Read 1935 times)

Offline RJ Bowman

• DCM Member
Are wand scanners any good?
« on: November 13, 2012, 07:46:33 PM »
I was looking for a way to scan photos out of very old bound magazines at a university library.

Ideally, there should be a way to get an image of a page, or part of a page, without having to put the book face-down and press it flat, which could cause stress on very old, fragile paper. A camera might do the job, but you sometimes get lens distortion that is difficult to correct, and the resolution of a camera isn't always great.

I remembered old wand scanners from the early-days of personal computing, which would scan a swath a few inches wide in black and white. I did a web search and found that color wand scanners wide enough for decent-sized page are available. But I don't know much about them, and it seems like a hand-held scanner could produce really, really distorted images if your hand isn't steady.

Has anyone had any experience with wand scanners? What kind of results do you get?

Digital Comic Museum

Are wand scanners any good?
« on: November 13, 2012, 07:46:33 PM »

Offline JVJ (RIP)

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
  • paix
    • ImageS Magazine
Re: Are wand scanners any good?
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2012, 10:06:37 PM »
I never could manage to spring for the $99 to find out, R.J.
But I HAVE done some work with a high-rez digital camera, a tripod and macro lens with decent results. Are you trying for print quality or just a good jpeg image?

Of course ALL of that equipment costs lots more than $99, but you might just try your digital camera with a tripod to see what you can get. I'd be very interested to learn if the new wand scanners are any good, too. I remember having one twenty-some years ago, before flatbed scanners were affordable. The results were marginal, at best, but technology can move a LONG way in 20 years!

Peace, Jim (|:{>
Peace, Jim (|:{>

JVJ Publishing and VW inc.

Offline JonTheScanner

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2012, 11:29:45 AM »
I fooled around a bit with one once.  The results were OK (compared to flatbeds at the time not sure about current ones) if and I say IF you could keep a steady straight motion. I could not, but then I can't draw a straight line either.

Offline narfstar

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2012, 04:49:00 PM »
I have a plantronics it seems to scan OK but the memory is really low. You could only do a couple of photos at a time then would have to put them on the computer and delete to scan again. I will sell it to you cheap if you are interested