- +

Author Topic: Creation of CBZ vs CBR files  (Read 3929 times)

Offline SteveD

• VIP
  • DCM Member
Creation of CBZ vs CBR files
« on: October 22, 2012, 09:58:34 PM »
OK, BRIEFLY: I've been assembling CBR files from my own collection (un-uploadable comics, if you must know) by the standard assembly method using WinRAR, that sort of thing. But I cannot seem to be able to create CBZ files, which seem to me to be more streamlined and potentially more stable in the long run. WHAT pray tell is the standard method for creating CBZ as opposed to CBR files? I will have several interesting and frankly long-missing books that I'd be delighted to upload but I want to do it in what I think of as a better file format.

Please offer any direction to useful instructional sites or perhaps any edifying insights anyone may have to disdabuse me of any mistaken impressions I may have, won't you?

Thanks in advance.

Digital Comic Museum

Creation of CBZ vs CBR files
« on: October 22, 2012, 09:58:34 PM »

Offline narfstar

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
Re: Creation of CBZ vs CBR files
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2012, 03:58:28 AM »
Looking forward to the books Steve. Even though CBZ is better do not hesitate to upload CBR. I am sure that a WinRar using can probably tell you how to get zip files with it but the name itself indicates that it may not. I use PeaZip and it gives me a choice of many formats. It is free and has been very easy to use.

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2012, 08:44:17 AM »
Hi Steve,
Feel free to use CBR if nothing else works for you.  Zip/CBZ is preferred but isn't a hard rule.
Contact me in a Private Message or use the CONTACT US link if you need help with this.

-Yoc

Offline cooperway4

• VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2012, 07:57:59 PM »
Another way to create a zip file using WinRar is to select the files within WinRar and use Alt+A, then select Zip.

I could never find anything to recommend Windows for before, but you can right-click and choose Send to compressed (zipped) folder. However, WinRar will also do the trick.

Offline narfstar

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2012, 07:49:42 AM »
If you have your files in a folder named for the comic you can right click on the folder and make a zip file of all the files inside. I have peazip assigned to do that.

Offline movielover

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2012, 08:07:25 AM »
Thanks Snard for that info on how to change Winrar default from Rar to Zip.  ;D

Can save headaches when you would forget to change, then tried to upload.  >:(

Offline JonTheScanner

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2012, 08:06:17 PM »
The way I make zip or rar files is to go into the folder, highlight all the files, right click on them and choose the appropriate command which varies as to which program you actually have.

That's how I make Snard happy. which is my prime goal in life.

Offline narfstar

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2012, 03:55:20 AM »
If only the files you want are in the same folder you can save a step by right clicking on the folder instead of highlighting the files. A step saved is a step earned :P

Offline ChuckG

• DCM Member
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2012, 05:01:33 PM »
The way I make zip or rar files is to go into the folder, highlight all the files, right click on them and choose the appropriate command which varies as to which program you actually have.

I'm a newcomer here so probably don't have much say  ;) but that's the way I like them done.

I've encountered a number of CBR files where when I've put them in my comic book reader, all I get is a folder.  The person doing the compressing compressed the folder, not the files and my reader can't go that extra level to reach the files.  I can fix it myself by uncompressing the file, getting rid of the troublesome folder and zipping the individual files, then recompressing, but I'd rather not have to do all that extra work when I've download a bunch of files. 

Offline narfstar

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2012, 06:26:50 PM »
You are correct but we do not complain. It is far less trouble to go through on the end than the effort the scanner had to put in at the start. We are thankful for their efforts in whatever form they upload them.