developed-responsibility
- +

Author Topic: How can I find only the CBZ's.  (Read 2748 times)

Offline pterandon

• VIP
  • DCM Member
  • Greg M. Johnson
    • blog
How can I find only the CBZ's.
« on: August 25, 2012, 07:32:26 AM »
Hi. I've got a Nook Color (software 1.4.3), and so far in my experimentation, it looks like the device will only read CBZ's. (If anyone has explicit disproof of this, I'll keep on trying).   Thus, I would like to only download CBZ format. So far, it looks like you cannot tell the format until after you've downloaded, which seems a waste.   TIA for advice.

INTRODUCTION:  Fan of the "early Keith Giffen" Legion of Super Heroes, before he went away on that trip and started abusing black ink and having fun at the expense of the reader.  Like Batman Animated, Samurai Jack, and early Kirby, Marvel stuff.  Can pick out a "Steve Ditko" clenched fist in a crowd from a mile away.    Once tried my own web comic, but it the software process I'd developed was too labor intensive, so I shelved it after a half-dozen issues.

Digital Comic Museum

How can I find only the CBZ's.
« on: August 25, 2012, 07:32:26 AM »

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
Re: How can I find only the CBZ's.
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2012, 03:09:42 PM »
Hi Greg,
Unfortunately there is no way of knowing what format a file is on DCM until you try to download it.
On a PC, using 'Save As' will show you the file name and format.

It is possible to convert a rar file though.
Others have talked about this and the Nook on this tread -

Offline johndesmarais

• Repeat donor!
  • VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2013, 05:03:49 PM »
Hi. I've got a Nook Color (software 1.4.3), and so far in my experimentation, it looks like the device will only read CBZ's. (If anyone has explicit disproof of this, I'll keep on trying).   Thus, I would like to only download CBZ format. So far, it looks like you cannot tell the format until after you've downloaded, which seems a waste.   TIA for advice.

INTRODUCTION:  Fan of the "early Keith Giffen" Legion of Super Heroes, before he went away on that trip and started abusing black ink and having fun at the expense of the reader.  Like Batman Animated, Samurai Jack, and early Kirby, Marvel stuff.  Can pick out a "Steve Ditko" clenched fist in a crowd from a mile away.    Once tried my own web comic, but it the software process I'd developed was too labor intensive, so I shelved it after a half-dozen issues.

You are correct about the Nook Color being able to handle CBZ but not CBR - hit the same problem trying to put comics on my kid's Nook.

The good news though is that you can easily convert one to the other.  CBR files are just RAR files, and CBZ files are just ZIP file (renamed of course).  Open the CBR file in WinRAR then compress the folder it creates with 7-Zip.  Rename the .ZIP file to .CBZ and load to Nook.  (Feel free to use your preferred RAR and ZIP utilities).

Offline John C

• Administrators
  • DCM Member
    • John's Blog
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2013, 03:56:05 AM »
You might try a dedicated comic-reading app.  My Android tablet's on the fritz, but I don't remember any problems with comic formats.

Alternatively, I know on Linux, some of the older comic-reading programs need an unrar library added.  That doesn't sound feasible on an Android-like system, but could be worth some investigation.