- +

Author Topic: Pogoplug  (Read 1404 times)

Offline John C

• Administrators
  • DCM Member
    • John's Blog
Pogoplug
« on: June 02, 2012, 02:43:37 PM »
In case anybody's in the market for something similar, I have a different model of this gadget, and highly recommend it for reading comics.

http://www.jr.com/pogoplug/pe/PGG_POGOP21/?JRSource=linkshare&SiteID=PvTvb1zzm2o-PKV4P*W0TvLMbLJso5CsYg

The short version is that you plug USB drives into it (with comic books, say), plug it into your network, and have access to your material locally and from out on the Internet.  I haven't used the feature, but you can apparently also use it to give other people access to individual folders.  

My only objection is that the external service is handled through their corporate servers, which means, if they go out of business, the box isn't as useful.  However, there's a custom installation people have put together, so it's probably still usable at that point, if not as convenient.  There's also some irritating, badly-documented maintenance to do (logging in to delete the hidden index) if the power goes out or someone unplugs a drive improperly.

At list price, it's not worth it.  Under thirty, I think it's just about right.

Digital Comic Museum

Pogoplug
« on: June 02, 2012, 02:43:37 PM »

Offline misappear

• DCM Member
Re: Pogoplug
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2012, 03:13:35 PM »
This type of thing has got to explode with tablet computing replacing desktops and laptops.  I'd love to have easy access to my hard drive with my ipad anywhere.