developed-responsibility
- +

Author Topic: The minor golden-age superhero establishing panel  (Read 1407 times)

Offline Roygbiv666

• Repeat Donor!
  • VIP
  • DCM Member
    • Standard Comics
The minor golden-age superhero establishing panel
« on: March 23, 2012, 05:59:37 PM »
Stumbled across this, kinda interesting:

http://hilobrow.com/2012/02/21/subsupermen-intro/

Digital Comic Museum

The minor golden-age superhero establishing panel
« on: March 23, 2012, 05:59:37 PM »

Offline josemas

• DCM Member
Re: The minor golden-age superhero establishing panel
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2012, 07:59:20 AM »
The designation of Subsupermen cracks me up.  It sounds like something Mike Allred or Bob Burden would come up with for one of their wacky comics.

Best

Joe

Offline paw broon

• VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2012, 11:49:06 AM »
For an example of Subsupermen, see my avatar thingy.  Some years ago I started a project to list, for my own info. and enjoyment, you understand, obscure masked mystery men and costumed heroes.  I suppose many of them fall into the category of Subsupermen.  Using Rovin's Encyclopedia, I tracked down American characters not included there and lots of British and European heroes.  It rapidly became clear (after opening the Pandora's box that is Spanish comics and some other slightly less densely inhabited comics cultures) that there were hundreds, perhaps lots more, masked men out there.  This is not a duplication of Vandal's Superhero index, just a simple personal project with quite tightly observed qualification criteria.   Good fun to do. But I don't fancy trying the competition on hiliowbrow.com.  A propos of hilowbrow, I notice he mentions The Black Terror and suggests it faded away.  But, although never regaining the popularity enjoyed in the G.A. the character  has continued to be published in some form or another , reprints and original stories, into the new millennium. (The Brereton issues sold some copies as did the Alan Moore stuff with The Terror). I only point it out as I'm a huge Black Terror fan.
Superheroes are a bit daft if you think about it too much but, as with much speculative fiction, a certain willingness to suspend disbelief is required, and no bad thing either.
Currently working on Circulo Justiciero and the heroes of Cosmos, both Spanish titles from a few years back.  They're a bit too recent for me but I like the look of a couple of them.
Also intriguing are the  Phantom style heroes that have turned up over the years in various places, who take off the legend of The Ghost Who Walks.  Or is this just a wee bit sad?
Stephen Montgomery

Offline jfglade

• VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2012, 03:42:00 PM »
For an example of Subsupermen, see my avatar thingy.  Some years ago I started a project to list, for my own info. and enjoyment, you understand, obscure masked mystery men and costumed heroes.  I suppose many of them fall into the category of Subsupermen.  Using Rovin's Encyclopedia, I tracked down American characters not included there and lots of British and European heroes.  It rapidly became clear (after opening the Pandora's box that is Spanish comics and some other slightly less densely inhabited comics cultures) that there were hundreds, perhaps lots more, masked men out there.  This is not a duplication of Vandal's Superhero index, just a simple personal project with quite tightly observed qualification criteria.   Good fun to do. But I don't fancy trying the competition on hiliowbrow.com.  A propos of hilowbrow, I notice he mentions The Black Terror and suggests it faded away.  But, although never regaining the popularity enjoyed in the G.A. the character  has continued to be published in some form or another , reprints and original stories, into the new millennium. (The Brereton issues sold some copies as did the Alan Moore stuff with The Terror). I only point it out as I'm a huge Black Terror fan.
Superheroes are a bit daft if you think about it too much but, as with much speculative fiction, a certain willingness to suspend disbelief is required, and no bad thing either.
Currently working on Circulo Justiciero and the heroes of Cosmos, both Spanish titles from a few years back.  They're a bit too recent for me but I like the look of a couple of them.
Also intriguing are the  Phantom style heroes that have turned up over the years in various places, who take off the legend of The Ghost Who Walks.  Or is this just a wee bit sad?

Australia has long been Phantom crazy. Not only has the Phantom had an incredibly long publishing history in Oz, he has spawned many imitations/homage characters (Char Chapman, for example) but also a wealth of other Phantom characters: the Phantom Ranger, Sir Phantom, etc.

Offline paw broon

• VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2012, 10:37:44 AM »
" Australia has long been Phantom crazy. Not only has the Phantom had an incredibly long publishing history in Oz, he has spawned many imitations/homage characters (Char Chapman, for example) but also a wealth of other Phantom characters: the Phantom Ranger, Sir Phantom, etc." - jfglade
Char Chapman, Phantom of the East - good stuff and I also have a few copies of The Phantom Ranger.  My sister-in-law is just back from Australia and has brought me some recent Frew Phantom comics to add to the collection.
There is a hero from Spanish comics called El Espiritu de la Selva who also has a version of The Phantom legend and I rather like the stories.
As for other Australian heroes, I'm fascinated by them as we used to occasionally find them in paper shops here in the U.K when I was young, late'50's, and now I've managed to find examples of The Shadow; Grey Domino; The Raven; The Panther; Sir Falcon; Crimson Comet; Jet Fury (one of my favourites and drawn by Larry Horak); Captain Havoc and The Phantom Knight (was this originally a N.Z. comic, anyone know?) Catman (the Aus. version) and more, but no Captain Atom and I don't think I'll ever be able to add an example to my collection.  I'll have to settle for a couple of electronic versions.
Stephen Montgomery