- +

Author Topic: Advanced Comic Book Format  (Read 9536 times)

Offline Whale

• DCM Member
Advanced Comic Book Format
« on: January 02, 2012, 12:15:50 PM »
Hello everyone,

I've already posted this message in goldenagecomics.co.uk forum, but this website looks more alive :-)

I'm working on a XML based comic book format that I named as "Advanced Comic Book Format" or simply ACBF. Widely used Comic Book Archive (CBR, CBZ etc.) has many drawbacks. It's basically just an archive of images. ACBF in contrast will support:
- comic book metadata (title, author(s), genre, annotation, keywords, publisher, publish date, city, ISBN, license etc.)
- definition of comic book structure (pages, frames) - if frames are defined you can zoom in to frame level and read frame by frame (usefull on smaller screens like PDAs, tablets ...)
- it will support a separate semantically enhanced text-layer over the background graphics (like emphasised text, commentary, striked-through text, computer code etc.). Comic book with such separate graphic and text-layer can be more easily readable on smaller screens again because text is drawn by fonts instead of be part of the background image. Besides, more text-layers can be defined for particular comic book, each for different translation.

Everything (included binary data like images and maybe fonts, sounds in the future) will be in a single file, though there's support for having these in separate files outside the ACBF document.

For this project I created project page on Launchpad (https://launchpad.net/acbf). Current specifications you can find in the repository, inside the Docs directory.
Direct link to repository: http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~just-me/acbf/trunk/files

I'm also developing a ACBF Viewer application. So far it is in early stages but is able to load ACBF file and navigate through the whole comic book - also zoomed in to the frame level, view comic book meta-data and table of contents. It is written in python and uses GTK library for drawing user interface. I'm using Linux (on desktop as well as on my PDA) but it is possible to run the viewer under Windows (or even maybe Mac) as well (after installing Python, PyGTK and some libraries). Here you can find ACBF Viewer screenshots (running under Linux): https://plus.google.com/photos/110989843476988874482/albums/5692035097709963025

There's still a lot of work to do. Specifications should be improved, XML schema created afterwards, ACBF viewer improved and also some comic books converted to ACBF. There is a sample comic book in the repository which I converted to ACBF. It's a "Craphound" comic book based on Cory Doctorow's story - I really recommend to read it, it's already a classic and it's free :-). Here's the related ACBF comic file: http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~just-me/acbf/trunk/files/head:/Sample%20Comic%20Book/
Here you can find it in PDF format if you're not able to run the ACBF Viewer on your machine: http://www.archive.org/details/CoryDoctorowsFuturisticTalesOfTheHereAndNow.

ACBF Viewer as well as all ACBF specifications are free.
So any feedback, suggestions or help regarding file format specifications, viewer application or anything project related is appreciated. If you have any questions, just let me know.
Have a nice day.
Advanced Comic Book Format project - a file format for electronic comic books. Any suggestions and help appreciated.
ACBF Wiki

Digital Comic Museum

Advanced Comic Book Format
« on: January 02, 2012, 12:15:50 PM »

Offline Whale

• DCM Member
Re: Advanced Comic Book Format
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2012, 12:16:54 PM »
For those who use Windows I managed to run ACBF Viewer under Windows OS, so if anyone with Windows wants to try it, here's the recipe (for 32-bit Windows):

Install python:
http://python.org/ftp/python/2.7.2/python-2.7.2.msi

Install PyGTK:
http://ftp.gnome.org/pub/GNOME/binaries/win32/pygtk/2.24/pygtk-all-in-one-2.24.0.win32-py2.7.msi

Install Python Imaging Library:
http://effbot.org/downloads/PIL-1.1.7.win32-py2.7.exe

Install lxml library:
From http://www.lfd.uci.edu/~gohlke/pythonlibs/#lxml get lxml-2.3.2.win32-py2.7.exe

If you encounter any error messages like "unable to register a library" or something like that, just ignore it.

After you install all 4 packages, download ACBF Viewer from here: http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~just-me/acbf/trunk/view/head:/ACBFViewer.zip
Unzip the file and inside you will find src directory. Navigate to it and double click acbfv.py file.

You will need some comic book in ACBF format as well. So download Craphound comic from http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~just-me/acbf/trunk/view/head:/Sample%20Comic%20Book/Doctorow%2C%20Cory%20-%20Craphound.acbf
In ACBF Viewer the first icon on the toolbar opens "Open File" dialog.

A bit complicated, huh? :-)

You may download easy to use Windows 32 executable. See a couple of posts later.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2012, 03:44:59 AM by Whale »
Advanced Comic Book Format project - a file format for electronic comic books. Any suggestions and help appreciated.
ACBF Wiki

Offline JVJ (RIP)

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
  • paix
    • ImageS Magazine
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2012, 12:40:30 PM »

A bit complicated, huh? :-)

And totally unlikely that I'd install that many unknown programs onto my computer to read anything called Craphound. YMMV.

Peace, Jim (|:{>

JVJ Publishing and VW inc.

Offline John C

• Administrators
  • DCM Member
    • John's Blog
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2012, 02:44:21 PM »
Since little things like this percolate in the back of my mind all the time, here's what little thinking I've actually done, which you can feel free to leverage, work around, or ignore as you see fit, Robert (if you'll pardon the familiarity).

The big problem is overcoming a standard (CBR, CBZ) that's "good enough."  For the time being, nobody cares about anything other than seeing pages, so all the extra work is adding points of failure without a significant selling point.  Add in thousands of existing comics in that format, requiring enormous time and bandwidth to update them, and a project like this is going to sound like "hey, let's all convert our e-mail to Microsoft Word 2015!" to a lot of people.

You also have a bunch of "secondary formats" waiting for their day in the sun, with PDF being obvious and DjVu having a lot of unrealized potential.

That said, before those issues convinced me that I probably wasn't going to change the world, there are a few things that I thought were of some importance and might make it worth converting ten thousand (public domain) comics...eventually.

- Some unique token, like an MD5 hash, to tell me if two files think they're the same comic and can be compared with the actual contents to determine if the file has been modified and authenticate which is the "official scan."  That would also make it easier to build a registry of scans, so that there's no mistaking a file's provenance.  It would also make it easy to check if the user has already read a particular file, no matter how many times it's downloaded, copied, moved, or renamed.

- Database support, so that, if the XML file hasn't been created, the data can be populated as well as possible from open-access databases like the GCD.

- SVG support, since I imagine comic publication is eventually (eventually!) going to go vector-based; I mean, raster graphics are insane when you literally can't guess at all the screen resolutions your book is going to be read at and pixels can be anything from near-microscopic to the size of a fist, if you zoom in.

- Likewise, a layered image format would also help future-proofing, allowing a publisher to isolate pencils, inks, colors, and so forth, and allow access to each independently.  A similar kind of "swapping" would also be nice when pages are repaired by later editors, so that both can be included without breaking the flow of reading, by only showing the version of the page (original or latest) that the reader wants but storing both.

- For small screens, optional panel transitions would be an excellent addition.  DC's (at least) digital viewer does this, and it's a nice idea.  The Inkscape presentation plug-in Sozi does something like this for vector art; it's obviously not quite enough to steal code or anything, but shows the sort of direction.

http://sozi.baierouge.fr/wiki/en:welcome

- A step further might be worth supporting a native equivalent to the "motion comics," which right now are full movies that happen to just be showing comics, which is silly.

- Selectable text without requiring it to be rendered apart from the image, like PDF and DjVu do.  OCR probably isn't worth pursuing in this respect (in case nobody typed it in), but is an interesting thought.

- When reading scans of microfiche, one thing I can't do without (that's easy to forget) is a gamma adjustment.  I'm sure it's useful in other cases, too, but a lot of the old fiche scans are so dark that they're unreadable without being able to change it.

- Most important is a toolchain that helps the scanner or publisher put the books together.  As things stand today, the minimal setup is a scanner, scanning software, and a ZIP program that's probably already sitting on your hard drive.  With anything more complicated, we're not teaching anybody to edit XML or measure out the panel shapes.  To catch on, it has to be trivial, or it won't get done except in the examples.

- I'd also like to see the tools help the scanner/publisher work with the open databases, reading initial content from them and assisting in correcting or uploading the data where needed.  After all, if the work's going to be done, it shouldn't be done more frequently than absolutely necessary.

(On that note, one lost-cause wish I have for the future is for archives would start shifting to something like TAR format.  Images don't compress well, so there's no gain by using ZIP or RAR, RAR is still proprietary, and ZIP doesn't handle corruption well.  Since TAR is just concatenating files, by contrast, it's basically idiot-proof to find all the images that weren't damaged.)

Heh.  And I agree with Jim.  As the name of an example file, "Craphound" is...inauspicious.

As I said, take what you'd like from that, and where it's too much, just skip past.

Offline Whale

• DCM Member
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2012, 12:20:50 AM »
Thanks for the feedback.

Regarding "Craphound", it's really a nice story and you can download PDF version of it if you wish to read it :-)

The biggest problem with CBR/CBZ standard is that it does not store any meta-data, so I think it's worthy to have comic books in some more advanced format. I created ACBF format and the reader, in the first place for myself - so that I can read comics on my PDA, which has only 600x480px screen resolution and also that I can build a comic books library from comics I have (requires to store meta-data). The ACBF format is a presentation format, I don't expect publishers/creators will use it to store in it the raw comic books. It's a DRM free format, so I don't expect it will be used commercially either.
Optional panel transitions are already defined in the ACBF format and supported by the ACBF Viewer application.
Selectable text is defined in the ACBF format already as a separate text-layer (optional), not supported by the Viewer though yet.
Regarding tool chain, I already created some tools/scripts that help me to convert images into ACBF format as well as extract polygons (used as frames/panel definitions) from SVG file (I use Inkscape to draw polygons over background image to define frames on a comic book page, then convert those polygons from resulting SVG file to XML tags used in ACBF).
Regarding the open comic book databases, it's a good point, I will research into that. Some interface between ACBF meta-data and comic book meta-data from available databases would be nice to have.
I agree that using ZIP/RAR etc does not help in compressing image files, that's the reason why in ACBF you can have those files directly inside the XML (converted to BASE64) and having one single XML file to distribute. ACBF does not define any container to store multiple files in it (though actually you can have a comic book stored in multiple files in ACBF).

Nice thing with ACBF is that you can use from the format capabilities just anything you want. For example you just put inside the images, you don't have to define frames/panels for pages nor text-layers, even meta-data. But it's nice to have them and use the capabilities the ACBF provides. Anyone can take that ACBF file and fill in the meta-data later or define the frames or text-layers.

Regards,
Robert
ACBF Wiki

Offline tilliban

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
    • FIFTIES HORROR!
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2012, 03:00:22 AM »
Apart from the mind-blowing techno-banter (and that I fell from my chair laughing after having read Jim’s reply), it sounds like a truly fantastic and worthwhile project.

But I concur that it would be next to impossible to overcome the existing formats and viewers. And no one would spend that much time converting things.

Just a thought what would be fantastic for me – and all those historians who have to permanently jump to and fro between DCM and GCD to check things.
If GCD (www.comics.org) could include a viewer, so that you have all the data AND all the comic book pages COMBINED on your screen. You'd just click on a certain story, and a new window would open with the pages of that story.
This would truly be historian’s heaven!
Pre-code horror aficionado and propagator of ACE comic books.
I run a number of websites about pre-code horror. Please follow the links.

Offline Whale

• DCM Member
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2012, 03:42:50 AM »
@tilliban:
Converting CBR/CBZ to ACBF is not a problem. It is possible to do it automatically with a simple script as CBR/CBZ archive contains just images.
But filling in the meta-data, frames definition, text-layer definition etc. would indeed require additional human effort. I believe that it is worth the effort and some time in the future library of comic books can be built out of comic books in ACBF format. Even if people will use some other comic book format in the future, comic books created in ACBF will be easily convertable to that new format as ACBF is based on XML standard and specifications are free. Even databases like GCD can extract meta-data information from it, if someone creates a script/interface for it.

Cheers,
Robert
ACBF Wiki

Offline narfstar

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2012, 04:38:18 AM »
Full page comics look great on my ipad. I prefer the panels on my computer.

Offline bchat

• VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2012, 07:24:22 AM »
Just my opinion, so feel free to ignore it all you want.

More than a few CBR/CBZ files already include text files that list the publisher, date, etc, and CDisplay lets me set the Height of the page to whatever I want (although I usually just "set to width" to read small print or "set to height" to see the full page).  I'm not sure I see the benefit of downloading five programs, with features I don't really find all that important, just to read a comic book.  For me, "good enough" is good enough.

Offline John C

• Administrators
  • DCM Member
    • John's Blog
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2012, 04:12:13 PM »
Robert, I didn't mean to sound discouraging.  That was literally just a dump of things that occurred to me when I was kicking around a similar product.  More solidarity than anything else.

I do think it's an uphill battle to get traction (there's still a ton of COBOL code, nobody really moved to XHTML, and generally advanced standards get ignored for "good enough") and I certainly wouldn't be up to it.  It's not so much whether it would be worth doing so much as it would be to convert and upload the thousands of books here, let alone the thousands out there that aren't public domain (ahem--or so I've heard).

MIME-ing the images could work.  Seems like it might bloat things a bit, but there are compressed file systems and servers can do compression, so that might not be relevant anymore.

Bchat, think of it more as proof of concept or demonstration.  The other pieces are basically Linux's complete environment.  Once the standard is finalized and if people start producing comics in the format, it'll be easy (relatively speaking) to take the existing implementation and write one native for Windows, Mac, phones, or whatever.  But until that traction happens, I can say from experience that it's not worth having polished versions for everybody--you just end up rewriting your rewrites and creating a ton of bugs...

Offline bchat

• VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2012, 06:11:58 PM »
Bchat, think of it more as proof of concept or demonstration.  The other pieces are basically Linux's complete environment.  Once the standard is finalized and if people start producing comics in the format, it'll be easy (relatively speaking) to take the existing implementation and write one native for Windows, Mac, phones, or whatever.  But until that traction happens, I can say from experience that it's not worth having polished versions for everybody--you just end up rewriting your rewrites and creating a ton of bugs...

I understand what you're saying, I just meant to say (so why didn't I?) that "good enough" is all I need (he asked for feedback and this is mine).  Bells & whistles are nice (like those programs that make it look as if you're actually flipping comic pages), but my preference is to simply have the images and decide on my own how I'll view them.  Obviously, if the comic files are formatted from the start for this type of application, then there's a need for such a program to exist, but for all the scans available here, it just isn't necessary.

Offline JVJ (RIP)

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
  • paix
    • ImageS Magazine
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2012, 06:52:52 PM »
Me, too, bchat.
But then you and I are thinking of DCM comics, not 2015 comics. The world is rushing by us, especially fast since we're sort of in reverse (or, at best, stationary). I (and probably you as well) am not all that interested in comics that talk or move. Seems kinda silly, unnecessary, and not really comics as I think of them. Still, times and tastes and definitions change. I say "Let them - but include me out." Robert's comic viewer might be the next big thing, but I'm busy looking at the next big thing of 1942. Different strokes.

Happy New Year to all.

JVJ Publishing and VW inc.

Offline bcholmes

• VIP
  • DCM Member
    • Under the Beret
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2012, 09:34:46 PM »
But then you and I are thinking of DCM comics, not 2015 comics. The world is rushing by us, especially fast since we're sort of in reverse (or, at best, stationary). I (and probably you as well) am not all that interested in comics that talk or move.

Speaking for myself, I'm not interested in comics that move.  But I'm a fan of a richer comic format from a coupl'a perspectives. 

I'd be happy if the native format recognized some basic meta-data about the comic, like title, issue number, publisher, etc.  I'd like it if my comic reader could keep track of all my comics so that it organized my comics files, rather than me figuring out the best way to store them in file systems.  (By character?  By publisher?)  If there was machine-readable meta-data, I could easily find other stories with the same characters, or by the same artist (when artist is known).  Similarly, if we have good meta-data, we can stop telling people "Make sure the front cover is the first file in the archive!" because the meta-data will indicate which image is the front cover. 

If there's good meta-data, then I can more easily tell my reader to skip ahead to the next story in the book -- maybe the current story is boring me, and I want to jump ahead to the next story in the issue.

I kinda view it as the difference between how tape players worked and how iTunes works.  Better data; better user experience.

BCing you
I make comics!
"In school, all the other kids laughed at me because I was just a brain in a jar."

Offline bchat

• VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2012, 10:23:06 PM »
I (and probably you as well) am not all that interested in comics that talk or move.

Yeah, that kind of stuff just comes across as cheap, low-budget animation to me, which I don't really find all that fun to watch.

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2012, 10:36:23 PM »
BC makes some very good points.  Those features would be a big help.
But inertia will likely sway people just like it has for jpg/mp3 vs better formats that have never caught on.

I wish Whale the best though.