- +

Author Topic: With the comics being 'public domain'...  (Read 2394 times)

Offline roxolid

• VIP
  • DCM Member
With the comics being 'public domain'...
« on: November 28, 2011, 12:55:08 PM »
Can I use some of the images in my free (not to be sold) RPG? I would rather use free images to avoid getting my backside sued off, and on the off chance that a) I finish the thing and b) put it out on the internet for other players to make fun of use, I'd rather have the walls of eye bleeding text broken up by images. I can't draw worth a damn (though I'll try, and open myself up to ridicule as a result no doubt!) and have a load of books on the topic. Plus there are various art programs on the web (hero machine, fabrica de herois) that can knock out images but they look lame compared to anything in a comic book.

If it's not advisable/possible, no problem - I'll continue to build on my stick man drawing 'skills' and sort something else out, but I won't use copyrighted images unless it's for my own use and will never see the light of day save on my own computer.

Cheers, Paul

Digital Comic Museum

With the comics being 'public domain'...
« on: November 28, 2011, 12:55:08 PM »

Offline John C

• Administrators
  • DCM Member
    • John's Blog
Re: With the comics being 'public domain'...
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2011, 03:42:13 PM »
Public domain means ownership by the public, so to the extent you trust our (or your own, which is highly suggested, because it's easy and can save a lot of trouble in the future) copyright research, treat them like you own them.

That assumes you're based out of the United States, where copyright is of a (mostly) fixed-year monopoly that's all or nothing.  Other countries don't believe in a public domain at all, protect "moral rights" beyond copyright (the right to be credited, for example), have their own laws that override the source country, or have no interest in United States copyright at all.

Offline Roygbiv666

• Repeat Donor!
  • VIP
  • DCM Member
    • Standard Comics
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2011, 04:27:11 PM »
And don't forget pdsh.wikia.com for a good list of characters...

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2011, 07:44:24 PM »

Offline roxolid

• VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2011, 10:47:44 PM »
Yep, thanks for the link/read. I suppose where you live has as much bearing on what you can/can't use as the character. Plus as I understand it, whilst certain works may be in the public domain because copyright has expired due to their age, the characters therein may still be (aggressively!) protected by their current owners. In other words, proceed at your own risk and do as much homework as possible!

Offline jfglade

• VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2011, 12:48:08 AM »
Yep, thanks for the link/read. I suppose where you live has as much bearing on what you can/can't use as the character. Plus as I understand it, whilst certain works may be in the public domain because copyright has expired due to their age, the characters therein may still be (aggressively!) protected by their current owners. In other words, proceed at your own risk and do as much homework as possible!

You've got the idea now.

Offline John C

• Administrators
  • DCM Member
    • John's Blog
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2011, 05:13:02 AM »
That's true, too.  Beyond copyright, there's also trademark (branding), though in theory, that shouldn't affect something like a game.  Taking a look from the infringement side, there's a world of difference between starring Superman in a novel (copyright) and advertising it as such (trademark).  But that's theory, so check with a friendly neighborhood lawyer-man.  (Hm.  Being bitten by a radioactive lawyer doesn't seem all that far-fetched...)

Offline jfglade

• VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2011, 08:10:35 PM »
  (Hm.  Being bitten by a radioactive lawyer doesn't seem all that far-fetched...)

Q: Do you know why a shark won't bite a lawyer?

A: Professional courtesy.