developed-responsibility
- +

Author Topic: Happy Halloween...  (Read 2154 times)

Offline jfglade

• VIP
  • DCM Member
Happy Halloween...
« on: October 31, 2011, 08:32:44 AM »
 Halloween may not be everyone's cup of tea, and I know it isn't universal, but it's my favorite holiday. I've read a lot of horror comics this month, something I generally don't do, and I enjoyed them. Talliban and Sundancetrance are becoming some of my favorite scanners because they've certainly added some spice to the month of October.

I hope those who do celebrate it have a happy and safe Halloween.

Digital Comic Museum

Happy Halloween...
« on: October 31, 2011, 08:32:44 AM »

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
Re: Happy Halloween...
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2011, 08:56:37 AM »
Thanks for the post Jon.
I agree Talliban and Sundancetrance have been great additions to the site as has Carl (Fan777) who has made great strides as a new scanner.  Welcome to all of you!

Have a happy and safe Halloween gang!
:)

Offline krankyboy

• Repeat Donor!
  • VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2011, 03:53:23 PM »
Am I the only one that loves the bat flying around at the corner of the DCM home page?

I've already had a Halloween dinner party, and carved pumpkins with my brother and niece last night. I've also been watching a bunch of horror movies to gear up for the season:

Friday the 13th Part 2 (1981)
The Mist (2007)  Frank Darabont's worst film by a mile (no pun intended)
Son of Dracula (1943)
Werewolf of London (1935)
Evil Dead II (1987)
Hell Night (1981)
Let Me In (2010)
Army of Darkness (1992)
Halloween II (1981)

I'll probably be watching a couple of real classics tonight on Turner Classic Movies -- The Innocents and The Haunting.

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2011, 04:09:36 PM »
Glad you liked the bat KB.  If you look at the site in Internet Explorer there are three bats.  They only last 30sec so don't blink.

Now I just saw The Mist for the first time a couple days ago.  I'd read the novella years ago and recall the ending was the boy and father driving off under some Godzilla size creature and that's it.  Nothing more said.  No explanation for the mist or creatures, nothing.  So as bad as the movie might have been at least they tried to explain stuff and had an ending.  Not the best ending for sure but better than what King gave us.

Offline Captain DJ

• Server Admin
  • Administrator
  • DCM Member
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2011, 04:12:57 PM »
I really enjoyed the Mist and one of the few films that I have watched again when bored.

Ending was a little sad but nevermind

Offline krankyboy

• Repeat Donor!
  • VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2011, 05:29:21 PM »
I'm sorry guys, but I thought The Mist was pretty bad.

I'd talk about the film's surprise ending more, which I found absolutely comical in its overly dramatic silliness (the ironic twist came off as laughably convenient), but I can't find the spoiler tags. People would've hated me if I saw it in the theater. I was actually chuckling derisively during the final minute.

Then again, I might also just be a hideous sadist.  ;)

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2011, 05:41:04 PM »
I'd say it was about the weakest of the list you mention though I haven't seen Let Me In or any of the Halloween sequels.  Mist certainly wasn't close to the wonderful ending in say The Twilight Zone 'Time Enough At Last' episode with Burgess Meredith from 1959.  Now that was amazing!!

Offline jfglade

• VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2011, 05:41:38 PM »
 I don't think I noticed the bats at six this morning (mountain time) but I don't notice much at that time of day, so they may have been on duty then and I just missed it. They were a pleasant suprise. Right now it is still light here and I have a pizza in the oven which violates my wife's diet restrictions but not as badly as I thought it would. Two of the grandaughters will be over around 7 p.m. in costume (ages six and three), so the wife is looking forward to that. TCM is showing the Terrance Fisher directed "Curse of the Mummy's Tomb" which isn't bad. We'll probably start seeing very small trick or treaters with their parents in the next half hour, and older one's after the sun is completely down. I haven't decided if we'll watch "From Dusk Til Dawn" or "Curse of the Undead" (from 1958, the original vampire western) later, but we will watch "The Thorkill Ghost" episode of the Adventures of Robin Hood before we watch whichever of the two vampire movies we decide on later.

I've never seen "The Mist," but I'm not much of a fan of movies made from Stephen King novels, with the exceptions not being in the horror genre. I haven't seen "Son of Dracula" in at least two decades and remember it as being an amusing movie. "Werewolf of London" is another decent older horror film. I need to watch "Let Me In" one of these days.

You guys have a good night.

Offline Geo (RIP)

• Global Moderator
  • DCM Member
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2011, 10:17:29 PM »
Here's a picture of the "bat" if you didn't get a chance to see it on the Download page.

http://img832.imageshack.us/img832/3171/screen1db.jpg

It's only the one as I did this on a Mac computer with Safari.
Kind of a nice "gift" for Halloween.

Geo
Filling holes, by ONE book at a time

Offline krankyboy

• Repeat Donor!
  • VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2011, 11:43:30 PM »
I totally agree that The Twilight Zone 'Time Enough At Last' episode with Burgess Meredith (who is pitch perfect) had one of the best ironic endings in television.

"That's not fair.... that's not fair at all...."

Just a great final twist. Then again, that series had a ton of them. I probably should have included several episodes on my list which would have been perfect for Halloween -- 'The Howling Man,' 'The After Hours,' 'The Dummy,' 'The New Exhibit,' 'The Grave'... all gems.

Some of the movies I watched leading up to Halloween are not terribly good (Hell Night, Friday the 13th Part II,  etc) but I have a nostalgia for them. Let Me In was a fairly good remake (and there are precious few of those) of Let the Right One In, although I do think one particular scene really lacked the punch of the original -- I won't spoil it for those who have not seen either movie.

Happy Halloween. >:D
« Last Edit: October 31, 2011, 11:47:32 PM by krankyboy »