- +

Author Topic: Move over Google Books...  (Read 1774 times)

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
Move over Google Books...
« on: August 01, 2011, 09:31:30 AM »
Here's an interesting topic that's worth a read.

http://news.yahoo.com/internet-archivist-seeks-1-every-book-written-183621648.html

Thanks to loftypilot for pointing it out.
-Yoc

Digital Comic Museum

Move over Google Books...
« on: August 01, 2011, 09:31:30 AM »

Offline John C

• Administrators
  • DCM Member
    • John's Blog
Re: Move over Google Books...
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2011, 03:58:25 PM »
I applaud the insane goal of the project and will probably try to help out.  And certainly love my books for the reasons he suggests, but I disagree with the thesis that "there's always a role for books."  It's like saying that there's always a role for album art (while people buy MP3s) or floppy disks.

They can be a kind of art that's impossible with more modern media, and the medium may have forced certain artistic decisions, but that's not necessarily a relevant role, and it ignores the fact that the majority of books are merely carriers for the content.  Like, I own a mass-market paperback of "The Tempest."  I doubt that anybody is more attached to that artifact than they are to the file (with pretty much the same text) hosted by Project Gutenberg.

But as I said, it's a great project.  If nothing else, it'll be a good source to scan from as copyrights expire and an interesting kind of museum.

Offline John C

• Administrators
  • DCM Member
    • John's Blog
Re: Move over Google Books...
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2011, 03:39:04 PM »
I should also mention this, now that I've watched it:

http://www.ted.com/talks/lang/eng/brewster_kahle_builds_a_free_digital_library.html

It's Kahle talking about the Internet Archive's projects, to give a sense of the scope involved.  Most interesting is something that has been kicked around here, I believe:  Don't farm out your scanning to people who don't care about the content, even if it sounds cheaper.