developed-responsibility
- +

Author Topic: tilliban and the German collectors uploads  (Read 163661 times)

ArKay

Re: tilliban and the German collectors uploads
« Reply #870 on: January 02, 2014, 07:40:40 AM »
Hehehe.
I remember being sent home from grade school when caught with a copy of one of these amazingly gory 70s mags.  Wow did I get an ear full from the female teacher who found it.  And it wasn't even my magazine!  We were passing it around the room and I just happened to be caught.  Oh well. 

Most of the gore was on the cover anyway which is of course what the teachers saw as well.  I would have loved to have grown up with those books.  I vaguely remember reading the odd Spider-Man or Hulk issue back then, that was about it.

The Eerie Pubs stuff I have compared is 80-90% identical to the original.  Sometimes they would add something (blood, drivel, whatever) or replace and/or insert a panel.  I have seen plenty of comics that seem to have borrowed pages or whole stories from b&w reprints.

I'm sure tilliban would love those 70s books since he prefers b&w comics IIRC!  Today the Eerie stack has gotten a little bigger again.  Also gotten another issue of "Chilling Tales of Horror" which mostly consists of b&w ACG reprints (or maybe swipes)?  They look pristine.  They did some Key reprints as well in early issues.

Digital Comic Museum

« Reply #870 on: January 02, 2014, 07:40:40 AM »

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #871 on: January 02, 2014, 08:46:12 AM »
Hi ArKay,
If you eventually scan your any of your mags I bet T would like a copy and I sure would for my personal collection.  Sadly we can't share them here though.
Good luck in increasing your collection.
:)

Offline tilliban

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
    • FIFTIES HORROR!
« Reply #872 on: January 02, 2014, 11:03:01 AM »
@YOC: Great anecdote about your school days!
Didn't you fell a bit delinquent then?
 :D

@JRVANDORE: That is an interesting option.
When we are down to the last 30 missing pre-code horror books, I wanted to start making some "calls".
Asking known collectors to share these special issues.
A last resort would be to "reconstruct" missing issues from their b/w-reprint version out of Eerie Pubs.

@ALL: Sorry for asking a stupid question?
But aren't Eerie Pubs not in public domain?
I thought they were. But the point is rather that DCM won't feature anything past 1959. Right?

Ach, and I just uploaded an Avon funny animal book:
FUNNY TUNES #3
Pre-code horror aficionado and propagator of ACE comic books.
I run a number of websites about pre-code horror. Please follow the links.

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #873 on: January 02, 2014, 11:29:27 AM »
Hi T,
It was embarrassing mostly.  We knew the magazine would get us in trouble with all the blood and cleavage on the cover.  I can't recall which title it was but it had lots of wooden stakes being driven into vampires and flesh stripping going on inside.

I would only resort to reconstruction as a last choice.

I can't find Skywald titles on the Copyright site but yes, they were published after 1959 and wont be showing up on DCM.  I wouldn't be surprised if CB+ shares them though I strongly suggest they look deeper into the matter.

-Yoc

jrvandore

« Reply #874 on: January 02, 2014, 12:06:39 PM »
Eerie Publications is Myron Fass; Skywald is Sol Brodsky and Israel Waldman (from IW/Super).

There are approximately three periods at Eerie. They started out doing straight reprints of mostly Ajax-Farrell material.  After a few years they started to redraw all sorts of 50's horror material (adding in Comic Media, Harvey, et al.), first with folks like Carl Burgos and Chic Stone, then later with Argentinian artists.  They mixed these newly redrawn stories in with reprints of their reprints and reprints of their previously redrawn.  The last several years of Eerie consist entirely of reprints with no newly redrawn stories.

Of course, Farrell had a habit of reprinting its own material, so it is something difficult to determine what exactly the source of the particular Eerie reprint is.  For those who don't know, Farrell launched a bunch of titles post code and they retitled and revised their earlier stuff for Code-approval.  But they also reprinted their material pre-Code.  Quite a mess to untangle.

ArKay

« Reply #875 on: January 02, 2014, 12:32:08 PM »
Yoc, what you described sounds like a typical Eerie cover.  They seem to have had a couple of cut & paste characters they could combine in order to create a new cover.  So many of them kinda look the same.  "Weird" had the most issues.

http://www.comics.org/series/10209/covers/

I have a couple of scans. I will PM you when they have finished uploading.  This will take a while :)

Offline tilliban

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
    • FIFTIES HORROR!
« Reply #876 on: January 04, 2014, 08:00:37 AM »
Well, we happen to spill an Ajax-Farrell book today as photo-version:

STRANGE FANTASY #1

Thanks again for your insights, guys!
I was actually JUST wondering about an Eerie Pub reprint of an Ajax story. What baffled me was that they reprinted a toned-down, code-approved version of a story I have in store yet.

So, as JRvandore was pointing out, they must have fished out one of those in-house-doctored stories. Published in a code Ajax mag. Ahaaaa!
It’s a fearful mess I certainly won’t untangle. Luckily someone has DONE it already:

http://www.enjolrasworld.com/Miscellaneous/Keith%20Smith/Eerie%20Publications%20Index.htm

Fabulous listing. The ultimate jungle guide to Eerie Pubs. And they know that the story I found is a “Code-approved version”. These guys are good!

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #877 on: January 04, 2014, 09:26:13 AM »
Thanks for the new scan and link T!
:D

ArKay

« Reply #878 on: January 04, 2014, 04:35:41 PM »
Well, we happen to spill an Ajax-Farrell book today as photo-version:

STRANGE FANTASY #1

Thanks again for your insights, guys!
I was actually JUST wondering about an Eerie Pub reprint of an Ajax story. What baffled me was that they reprinted a toned-down, code-approved version of a story I have in store yet.

So, as JRvandore was pointing out, they must have fished out one of those in-house-doctored stories. Published in a code Ajax mag. Ahaaaa!
It’s a fearful mess I certainly won’t untangle. Luckily someone has DONE it already:

http://www.enjolrasworld.com/Miscellaneous/Keith%20Smith/Eerie%20Publications%20Index.htm

Fabulous listing. The ultimate jungle guide to Eerie Pubs. And they know that the story I found is a “Code-approved version”. These guys are good!

Wow, they put everything in one biiiiiiiiiiiiig page haha.  I own Mike Howlett's Eerie book and plan on actually finishing it one day.
I haven't bothered with getting his index book since there's plenty of information in the GCD to which I am also contributing
(most of my stuff is on hold since they want a synopsis for each story, the ones which are in the "Table of Contents" don't suffice anymore these days).

jrvandore

« Reply #879 on: January 04, 2014, 07:17:46 PM »
Not to hijack the thread...but synopses are optional at the GCD.  What the GCD no longer allows is using the companies' text from solicitations or the like.  But you dont have to create synopses.  And I have put in Keith Smith's indexes for all the issues except the ones you are working on, so once you are done we will have all those reprint relationships documented.

ArKay

« Reply #880 on: January 05, 2014, 07:33:01 AM »
I simply followed what people had done before me, you know?  My first entry had been accepted which was cool, so then I did a bunch on a lazy Saturday (it's a lot of work actually) and most of them got rejected.  The other Eerie stuff had been indexed that way, quoting the TOC and adding "(from TOC)".  That used to be OK, but it no longer is.  Some of the notes I got for my edits:

"Synopsis: This text should describe the story so you can identify it in a reprint situation. You could also add a name for one or more characters which will make it easier for other researchers to identify reprints. The text should not contain any exclamations like "Chiller!" or "Gulp!""

"The old synopseses you refer to should be replaced one day too.
They slipped into the database before the editorship was established, years ago."

The first one doesn't make it sound like they would be optional.  I haven't read all of those books yet so they will have to remain "in edit" until I do I guess. :)

-- Rainer

jrvandore

« Reply #881 on: January 05, 2014, 08:35:00 AM »
Trust me, synopses are optional.  As a matter of fact, I am in the process of removing all of those table of contents blurbs.  I think the editor suggested the synopses and characters because he didn't know that Keith Smith had identified all the sources already.  I have put all those in now, so that information is unnecessary to make the identifications.  So if you want to release the four issues you have I will put in the basics and you can put in anything extra afterwards.  Or I will wait until you are done and fix up the reprint notes at that point.

--Jim (with the GCD since 2005)

ArKay

« Reply #882 on: January 05, 2014, 09:00:43 AM »
That's a pity since those were a lot of work to enter and I actually kinda enjoyed them, but OK.  Removing and resubmitting.

-- Rainer

ArKay

« Reply #883 on: January 06, 2014, 08:07:34 AM »
Reprints make me wonder who currently owns the rights to the Eerie Pubs comics.
I know that Craig Yoe is about to publish a volume of Haunted Horror consisting of stories compiled by Mike Howlett.
And today I have received a copy of "The Zombie Factory" from 2007 which also reprints 27 stories.

Offline tilliban

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
    • FIFTIES HORROR!
« Reply #884 on: January 06, 2014, 12:05:37 PM »
@ArKay: We should ask Mike Howlett who owns the right to Eerie Pubs. He should know.

@jrvandore+ArKay: Of course synopses are optional on GCD, Rainer! You don't have to do 'em.
I am doing them for all the horror books I scan. So I can keep track of certain topics and do searches for stories...

And I used the day to sneak up another trashy romance book - from Key, o gosh!

IDEAL ROMANCE #3