- +

Author Topic: "Greetings & Salutations!"  (Read 1691 times)

Offline hhbooker2

• DCM Member
    • http://www.americanvolunteerreserve.org/
"Greetings & Salutations!"
« on: June 30, 2011, 03:03:02 PM »
"Greetings & Salutations!" My name is Herbert Hillary Booker II, born in 1942 in Wauwatosa, Wisconsin, named after my father's father, 1883-1968). Have been reading comic books since 1944, actually looked at the pictures before I entered the first grade in Honolulu, Hawaii Territory in 1948. My mother read comic books too as did her boss, a U.S. Navy Commander in Naval Intelligence at the 6th Naval District in Charleston, South Carolina, she was a secretary from 1949 to 1963, six years short of a Civil Service pension! Raised in the U.S.Navy, my sister's father was a Chief Electrician's Mate and a submariner who enlited in 1934 and serve in China and the Pacific in the Second World War. Sailors we knew all read comic books in the war years, that included L. Ron Hubbard who was commissioned a Naval Lieutenant when we knew him before he wrote science fiction and later started Scientology, being non-religious I never was audited, preferred reading comic books, especially Superman and Superboy before they got political and tried to solve social problems, preferred to see Clark Kent going after Lex and the other bad guys! Golden Age Comics were patriotic and joined the fight against the Axis Powers, but kept it fantasy and I liked those old ads with a Daisy B-B Gun offered by Red Ryder and Little Beaver! Read "Blackhawk", never saw Chinese like Chop-Chop nor other nationalities as those depicted as fighters pilots. Seriously doubt those comic book artists could publish with "political correctness,"  Yes,  it served its purpose, but it changed the face of comedy and comic books! I always tried most of the time "to do the right thing" and did not need a nanny telling me what I ought and ought not do, including telling me not to read action comics which we could not get in L.A. during the war, but it was Disney productions who did not want Superman and Batman competiting with Mickey and Donald - read Walt Disney Comics too, but liked all comic books expect Romance, ugh! I suspect some boys read Love comics, maybe hoping it would help them in their adolescent plans? They served their purpose? Sarge Booker of Tujunga  ;D
Herbert Hillary Booker 2nd

Digital Comic Museum

"Greetings & Salutations!"
« on: June 30, 2011, 03:03:02 PM »

Online Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
Re: "Greetings & Salutations!"
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2011, 04:49:11 PM »
Welcome Sarge.
You might change your mind on romance comics if you saw some MATT BAKER St.John romance books like Teenage Romance, etc.
A book by Baker you might appreciate more is Canteen Kate here-
http://digitalcomicmuseum.com/index.php?cid=1018

Enjoy your stay!
-Yoc