developed-responsibility
- +

Author Topic: How Big is Big?  (Read 4447 times)

Offline JVJ (RIP)

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
  • paix
    • ImageS Magazine
How Big is Big?
« on: June 08, 2011, 09:56:24 PM »
Here's a cool graphic to explain just how small an atom is and how large the universe is. Somewhere in the spectrum you'll encounter a human.
http://htwins.net/scale/

Humbling.

Peace, Jim (|:{>

JVJ Publishing and VW inc.

Digital Comic Museum

How Big is Big?
« on: June 08, 2011, 09:56:24 PM »

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
Re: How Big is Big?
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2011, 09:09:11 AM »
Interesting!
Thanks Jim.
First I've heard of 'Yoctometers'.
:)

Drusilla lives!

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2011, 12:01:21 PM »
So Jim, I take it that you're back from France.  :P :)

Offline JVJ (RIP)

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
  • paix
    • ImageS Magazine
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2011, 03:12:39 PM »
I really THOUGHT that would get your attention, Yoc.

And yes, DL, I'm back from Paris. I'm devoting an incredible amount of time to updating and combining my various web sites - the earliest of which was constructed between 1997 and 2000. With over 100 pages of artist biographies to reformat, it's taking seemingly forever. I have little time for "play".

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2011, 09:03:44 PM »
Ohh, looking forward to the final results Jim!
:)

Drusilla lives!

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2011, 12:47:49 AM »
... With over 100 pages of artist biographies to reformat, it's taking seemingly forever. I have little time for "play".

Well, good thing it's a labor of love.  :)

That "how big is big" thing reminds me of a book from several years ago by Philip Morrison... I think it was entitled "Powers of Ten" or something.  Anyway, in it they also considered the relative size of things, from the extremely small to the extremely large, in steps of powers of ten.

Although I agree it's humbling, what's really amazing is that we're able to encapsulate and consider such concepts with our minds eye, regardless... an infinity within I suppose.

Offline JVJ (RIP)

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
  • paix
    • ImageS Magazine
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2011, 05:53:31 PM »
I'm beginning to think it's a labor of insanity. dl.
I'm up to Frank Frazetta (#40 of 105). Sigh...

Never saw "Powers of Ten" but I can immediately grasp the concept. That's pretty much what the "scale" Flash things does. The one aspect of it that completely boggles my mind is the smallest "quantum foam" concept of Einstein. It's about 20 orders of magnitude (powers of ten) smaller than the next larger subatomic idea. How in the hell did ANYONE ever conceive of such a thing?

Drusilla lives!

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2011, 06:44:25 PM »
... The one aspect of it that completely boggles my mind is the smallest "quantum foam" concept of Einstein. It's about 20 orders of magnitude (powers of ten) smaller than the next larger subatomic idea. How in the hell did ANYONE ever conceive of such a thing?

With informed imagination Jim... IMO the line (if there ever was one) between the arts and sciences becomes blurred once one reaches a certain level of proficiency. 

Physicists IMO are really frustrated sculptors.  :) 

Personally, I always thought all that quantum stuff was developed just to put chemistry on a "solid" theoretical foundation, which it somewhat did... but I'm not an authority on either physics or chemistry... or sculpture either for that matter.  :)

Offline JonTheScanner

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2011, 08:54:07 PM »
Personally, I always thought all that quantum stuff was developed just to put chemistry on a "solid" theoretical foundation, which it somewhat did... but I'm not an authority on either physics or chemistry... or sculpture either for that matter.  :)

No quantum stuff was "invented" (I'd say "discovered") because classical theory simply did not work.  I didn't explain the two slit experiment, it didn't explain black body radiation, it didn't explain the photo-electric effect and none of those were chemistry.  It coudln't even explain how an electron (which had been discovered) could orbit around a nucleus (which also had been discovered), because by classical theory orbiting electrons would have had to emit electromagnetic radiation all the time and they didn't.

Drusilla lives!

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2011, 09:22:09 PM »
So sorry, I should have put it this way... IMO all that "quantum stuff" had it's greatest applicability to putting chemistry on a solid theoretical foundation... it's a much overlooked/understated intellectual triumph in that regard. 

Heh, heh... I was just making casual conversation with Jim here... sorry Jim, I tend to forget that we're speaking in a public forum and this stuff is akin to scripture to some.

Offline JVJ (RIP)

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
  • paix
    • ImageS Magazine
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2011, 09:30:34 PM »
I love it when you guys talk like that. It's all pure imagination to my poor brain. The fact that you actually know, Jon, some of the reasons for conjecturing quantum "stuff" - well, that puts you in another universe as far as I'm concerned. I just liked looking at the pretty pictures as they zoomed in and out... Well, perhaps a bit more than that, but not much.

Who was it that said that a physicist was just an atom's way at looking at itself? Niels Bohr? I like observations like that and like the "scale" link. To me it makes what are essentially (to me) foreign subjects accessible.

ps. Jon, did you get my notice that I posted on GAC of stuff I sent to OtherEric?

Offline narfstar

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2011, 05:48:51 AM »
Jim I think so much of science or any learning is building. Once you have a knowledge AND UNDERSTANDING of an aspect of a subject the next level "starts" to make sense. If you continue to acquire and cement together that level you prepare for the next. Things that are way over my head are because I never built my foundation that high previously.

This is one of the major problems with our education system. We base going to the next level on age rather than the firm foundation of the present level. Kids are continually having their educational house built on a very unfinished foundation. Then we blame the teachers, who do their best to patch up the holes in the foundation WHILE building the next level instead of solidifying the footer first.

Drusilla lives!

« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2011, 01:57:11 PM »
Jim, I was told once that there were two topics that were always better left unspoken about in public... religion and politics... and now I've finally come to the conclusion that there is a third, science.  It's just not worth arguing over.

Yes, all that beauty... and it's just a shame that more people don't just stop and see it all that way... but they won't, they never did. 

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2011, 02:05:51 PM »
Good sense there DL.
Or as they said in a famous song long ago - never criticize a mans choice in job or girlfriend. 
And in any argument - mothers are always off-limits!

Offline John C

• Administrators
  • DCM Member
    • John's Blog
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2011, 03:49:31 PM »
This is one of the major problems with our education system. We base going to the next level on age rather than the firm foundation of the present level.

On age AND on the even sillier "how hard the number-crunching is," completely ignoring that a qualitative understanding might help the quantitative later (and that math exists to serve the problem-solving, not the other way around).

They're not all winners, but two spots I check daily to get exposure to things I wouldn't ordinarily see, by the way:

http://www.ted.com

The TED Conferences gather the "big thinkers" in just about every field (including comic books, in fact) to give each other talks, basically, and then they post video of the presentations online.  They're not all winners, but just recently they posted a guy who built a visible object that shows quantum displacement effects.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/features/in-our-time/

As you might guess from the URL, "In Our Time" is a BBC Radio show, where Melvyn Bragg drags in a panel to explain the interesting bits of their fields to the listening public.  These are even more hit-or-miss, I think, but they have the virtue of never using visuals, so I can listen while making breakfast.

And obviously, both have their propagandist pieces.  Bragg's panels are invariably going to play up British contributions where possible, and Al Gore's involvement with TED means a lot of emotionally-alarmist Global Warming talks.  But it's hardly the worst way to kill ten minutes to an hour, here and there.

(And then I've been watching "Rocky and Bullwinkle and Friends" on Hulu at night, so don't think I've gone all academic...)