- +

Author Topic: Thor Movie  (Read 2359 times)

Offline rangerhouse

• DCM Facebook admin
  • Global Moderator
  • DCM Member
    • Digital Comic Museum Facebook Page
Thor Movie
« on: May 04, 2011, 07:34:53 PM »
Strays far from Comic Book,  but great movie,  I give 5 out of 5 stars...  Loved it..

Digital Comic Museum

Thor Movie
« on: May 04, 2011, 07:34:53 PM »

Offline OtherEric

• Global Moderator
  • DCM Member
Re: Thor Movie
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2011, 08:35:58 PM »
I'm looking forward to it, with my schedule shift it will probably be the 2nd week before I get to see it.

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2011, 12:03:28 PM »
The film for 4.5 out of 5 stars here in one Toronto newspaper.

Offline John C

• Administrators
  • DCM Member
    • John's Blog
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2011, 03:42:33 PM »
And that's AFTER the hissy-fit people threw because, of course, real gods must have the same ethnicity as the people worshiping them, even when they're the imaginary science-fiction versions?  I'm impressed.

(Actually, I'm impressed anybody went to see it at all.  I always thought Thor was sort of like Marvel's Aquaman, to most readers:  It's good knowing he's there and central to the world, and some stories are fun, but nobody really wants to see any more of him than necessary.)

((Disclaimer:  I like Aquaman.  I vastly prefer the all-American sea-faring hero to the unnecessary Camelot spin and resulting grumpy Aquaman, but that's beside the point.  I meant that I always imagined a Thor movie being about as popular as an Aquaman movie.))

Offline Ed Love

• VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2011, 09:26:54 AM »
It's an adaptation of a comic which is based on Nordic myths. Is he black in the comics (or Hogun an Asian)? In the mythology, is it likely the Norse would create a black god and then give him the name "white god"? Would you want a blond, blue-eyed caucasian playing an Egyptian or Indian god with no make-up to make him look like the ethnicity of the character he's playing? It's stupid and pandering casting. There are several characters created for the movie that could have been black. That said, I like the scenes with Hiemdell in them, especially the interplay between him and Loki considering that come Ragnarok, they are fated to slay each other.

I think it was a good movie, that could've been great. The acting, especially of Thor and Loki were superb. I liked the guy playing Fandral, several quick scenes managed to capture his swashbuckling attitude.

Quibbles:
- Frost Giants. Seemed to change sizes. Some were no larger than the humans, others around eight or ten feet tall, but no explanation on discrepancies.
- Warriors Three: Not really enough effort to give them distinctive looks beyond their faces. Fandral should be in green and leathers, Volstagg in loud and brash colors, Hogun all dark and regal. Kirby was great at giving totally creative designs for his characters, here most characters look like they are all wearing the same basic armor. Even Loki. He has the helmet but otherwise looks much like the others.
-Climactic Battles: Not so climactic. After all the build-up, Thor takes out the Destroyer rather easily and quickly  (and they managed to evacuate the town very quickly). Loki vs Thor in final battle doesn't seem much like a match-up. Maybe if we saw him use other powers other than illusion and the spear. After all, Loki was a shape-changer and god of fire as well. What were the Warriors Three and Sif doing once they got back to Asgard. Should have been a full on Frost Giant invasion and seen gods right and left fighting with Thor and Loki in the middle of it all.
-Romance with Jane Foster: Just seemed to come from nowhere. It ends with them pining for each other, but really the story doesn't develop an actual romance between them or even a relationship beyond an alliance due to overlapping goals. Are we supposed to just simply accept that since they are the leads, they are supposed to be a couple?
-Loki's story is contradictory to the time period of the rest of the movie. A lot of effort is made to call attention to the fact these beings are who the myths are based on, though some details are not the same, that the myths are simply tall tales. However, some of the myths describe Loki as being of the giants and not Asgardian. The myths tell us that Loki starts off as a god of mischief, but grows increasingly dangerous and evil and will in the future betray Asgard. The myths cannot simply be stories then, since they are accurately foretelling Loki's nature (unknown to everyone but Odin and Frigga) and his path to evil hundreds of years before the events occur or it's a huge coincidence that he just happens to follow the same path told about him in the stories. On the other hand, there would be no contradiction if that part of the story occurred during the times of the vikings and thus became the basis of the myths, and in the present day he's a known villain to the Asgardians.

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2011, 03:56:56 PM »
Yusuf,
This film is now in theatres.  
We DO NOT share links to illegal copies of any films or other non-public domain media.
Offenders of this rule will be banned.

Offline John C

• Administrators
  • DCM Member
    • John's Blog
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2011, 04:01:22 PM »
I was (mostly) teasing, Ed.  However, it's worth pointing out that there's no reason to expect a (possibly) divine race of extra-dimensional creatures would have ethnic features identical to those people who worship them.

I'm not trying to convince anybody of anything, because this isn't the place for that kind of discussion, but it's just such a weird place to draw the line for suspension of disbelief, in my eyes.

(And nordic types playing god among the primitive cultures?  I probably have a whole rack of science-fiction books and movies revolving around that very premise, not to mention the whole von Däniken series.  I think John Campbell might have done it first.)

Offline Ed Love

• VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2011, 10:19:35 AM »
I think the race switch would have been better for Hogun and they could have beefed up his and the Warriors Three roles some. At least then you're only violating one level of continuity, the comics. Especially with Hiemdell who is actually referenced as being white. Plus, while Hiemdell is a big figure in the myths, in the Thor comics, the only "real" gods that get a lot of play are Odin, Sif, Thor, Loki, Baldur and Hel. Prominent gods like Freyr, Freyja, Tyr and Hiemdell rarely make appearances, the comics focus more on the made up ones: Enchantress, Executioner, Karnilla, Warriors 3. It's a little strange to see Hiemdell play such a key and plot pivotal role in the movie.