- +

Author Topic: best size monitor for viewing comic pages ?  (Read 5464 times)

Offline deni

• VIP Limited
  • DCM Member
best size monitor for viewing comic pages ?
« on: March 15, 2011, 11:57:21 PM »
Recently my Dell Trinitron tube monitor died. So time to upgrade.

Currently trying a 23 inch LG LED monitor.  Love the extra height and larger print but two problems:
            - color is now faded on some comic files which looked normal on my old
              monitor (tried adjusting but didn't correct the problem).

- comic page is slightly distorted horizontally so looks squarer than
              original paper page. (adjusting can't correct the problem)

I don't mind a comic page image being bigger but I prefer the pages undistorted and in the shape of the paper comic books.

Can anyone suggest the optimum size monitor for viewing comic pages?
Will an LCD monitor have better color reproduction than a LED monitor?

Digital Comic Museum

best size monitor for viewing comic pages ?
« on: March 15, 2011, 11:57:21 PM »

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
Re: best size monitor for viewing comic pages ?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2011, 12:35:05 AM »
A great question I look forward to seeing others opinions.
I too am in the market for a replacement for my old 20+ crt Dell monitor.

-Yoc

Offline builderboy

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2011, 07:23:16 AM »

Deni, perhaps you don't have the correct driver loaded for your monitor?  Assuming you are running Windows, open up your Display Settings (programs/control panel/display). On the 'Settings' tab, you should see the new monitor listed in the box titled 'Display'.  If not, you need to surf the web to your new monitor's manufacturer and download the driver for your model.

But, if your hardware is listed there, underneath is a control slider titled 'Screen resolution' that has many possible resolutions that are available for your specific monitor.  Some of them will make things look too tall or too wide.  Go through them all, and more than likely, one of them will fit the aspect ratio of your new screen.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2011, 09:22:04 AM by builderboy »

Offline builderboy

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2011, 09:28:55 AM »
A great question I look forward to seeing others opinions.
I too am in the market for a replacement for my old 20+ crt Dell monitor.

-Yoc

Yoc, I can't speak for all of the manufacturers out there, but I do know that, when I shopped for one a couple years ago, I was budget concious.  I ended up with an Acer. At that time, 20" was the good price point, but that has changed since then. The Acer S231HL Black 23" Widescreen LCD is available for $160.  All I can tell you is that it has been a love affair with my monitor since I got it.

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2011, 11:26:25 AM »
Thanks BB.
When I went looking at a retailer I was shocked at how blurry the majority of them looked on close inspection.
Much blurrier than my old crt.  Only the HP model was sharp but it wasn't a nice a price or as good a contrast as some of the other more blurry models.  I was so shocked by it all I walked away empty handed.

-Yoc

Offline JVJ (RIP)

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
  • paix
    • ImageS Magazine
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2011, 05:11:41 PM »
Recently my Dell Trinitron tube monitor died. So time to upgrade.

Currently trying a 23 inch LG LED monitor.  Love the extra height and larger print but two problems:

I don't mind a comic page image being bigger but I prefer the pages undistorted and in the shape of the paper comic books.

You distortion is most likely a result of your chosen screen resolution, deni. The aspect ratio of your CRT was probably more square than the ratio of the LED. Check the stated resolution of the monitor, and then try to match it with the nearest selection on the "Change Resolution" window. Good luck.

Peace, Jim (|:{>

JVJ Publishing and VW inc.

Offline deni

• VIP Limited
  • DCM Member
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2011, 10:48:22 PM »
Thanks for the help guys.

I changed my resolution to 1280x1024.  This is the highest resolution that I can go.  The stated resolution for the monitor is 1920x1080.  From what I have been reading, it looks like I will have to upgrade my graphics and/or video card to obtain that.  Any information on that subject would be much appreciated.

The screen picture for a modern comic is the same height and about 50% wider than the modern paper comic.   But this is much better than before.  Golden age comics are wider so it looks pretty close to paper size on the screen now.

Resolution is nice on modern comic scans.  I checked the color on some modern comic scans and it is quite accurate.  But there is still a lot of variety in both color and resolution in Golden Age comic scans.  Any thoughts on this ?

Offline JVJ (RIP)

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
  • paix
    • ImageS Magazine
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2011, 09:46:53 PM »
Hi, Deni,
If the stated resolution of the monitor is 1920 x 1024, then your pixel ratio is 1920/1024 or 1.88 to 1. I believe that at that ratio, you'll be mapping height and width proportionally. The closer you can come to that ratio in setting your display, the closer you should come to a proportional comic page.

Like builderboy said, check to make certain that you have the latest drivers for both your monitor and your video card. I would be sure that you've selected your new monitor as the default. The 1280 x 1024 makes me suspect that your computer might still be looking at the aspect ratio of the CRT. Try on-line support for the manufacturer of the monitor. Often times you can get "chat support" with someone who can solve your problem immediately.

Good luck.

The scans you see on DCM are done by hundreds of different people, and the variety is built into the source - i.e. there are NO requirements for the scanners or the scans. Tastes and techniques vary widely. Be happy we have as much as we do. And "Variety is the Spice of Life.

JVJ Publishing and VW inc.

Offline deni

• VIP Limited
  • DCM Member
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2011, 01:59:06 PM »
      Helpful suggestions.  Proper driver for LG monitor in place. Graphics/video card updated online.  Problems still existed.  As JVJ suggested went online for tech help.
      What I found in blogs, chat areas and talking to tech assistants is that my graphics card's maximum update still leaves a resolution too low for sufficant compatability with the LG 23" monitor.  A new video card would cost money and I would have to find one with the older style connection brackets.  Choice is to either  hunt for another graphic/video card or find a monitor less or equal to the current card's max resolution.

Solution:
     I bought a 20 inch Acer P206HV monitor for $99.99.  Less than half the price.  Higher resolution than old crt monitor but within current graphic card's range.   Good color and no distortion.  Screen height same as old crt. All pictures are full size with no fading.  Golden Age comics look more consistent once again with only the normal scanner caused variation.  This monitor will do me fine until I decide to upgrade my whole computer.

Thanks builderboy and JVJ.  Your advice really helped in steering me in the right direction and allowing me to make the best decision for right now.    Good luck shopping, Yoc.

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2011, 03:20:19 PM »
Thanks for the update deni.
Food for thought.

Offline maxpaayne

• DCM Member
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2011, 04:02:58 AM »
Thanks for the information. I was looking for the same information.