developed-responsibility
- +

Author Topic: The Quality Companion: out in July!  (Read 2608 times)

Offline mykey3000

• VIP
  • DCM Member
The Quality Companion: out in July!
« on: February 11, 2011, 12:20:24 PM »
Hello,

I'm writing the Quality Companion and would like to ask: are there any real Quality aficionados out there, or collectors? I'd be interested to hear from you!

Blurb: http://twomorrows.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=984

I'm also very interested in the issues of copyright. Are there threads on here about it?

Mike Kooiman
mykey@mykey3000.com

Digital Comic Museum

The Quality Companion: out in July!
« on: February 11, 2011, 12:20:24 PM »

Offline Ed Love

• VIP
  • DCM Member
Re: The Quality Companion: out in July!
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2011, 04:09:13 PM »
I'm a fan of the Quality stuff and have written a bit on my websites about their characters as well as my own research into the issues of copyrights concerning them and other GA companies.

However, if you are writing a book, I'd suggest spending time doing the research yourself and interviewing the people at the Library of Congress concerning issues and procedures of copyrights (would take only about a day) OR paying them or an intellectual properties lawyer to research a few titles to see if it jibes with what I and others contend, that the vast majority of Quality books are pd.  Only some of the post 1950 Quality titles ever had their copyrights renewed, nor is there a record of transfer of any copyrights to DC (although they renewed some of those 1950s issues). I'm reasonably confident of my own research, but I'm not a recognized authority.

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2011, 05:18:50 PM »
Ed has done more research than many on the topic and doesn't give himself or his great site enough credit.
He wrote an excellent entry on his visit to the Library of Congress here:
http://webspace.webring.com/people/cc/cash_gorman/copyright1.html

Offline narfstar

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2011, 10:15:32 PM »
I just bought the digital Quality Companion. I have not had time do anything but glance through it. It looks to be a great book

Offline OtherEric

• Global Moderator
  • DCM Member
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2011, 12:10:25 PM »
I just grabbed the digital version myself.  Was VERY glad to see the Digital Comic Museum mentioned in there; even if they called us the Digital Comics Museum. We're thanked both on the credits page and in a sidebar on page 33; they even have a small shot of our home page in the book.  Your DCM banner artwork is now in print, Yoc!

I'm wondering if they sourced their Black Condor story from here since that was my original scan.  Probably not, since the would presumably have wanted bigger scans for the full story reprints.  But I'm still curious.

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
An excellent intview and review of the QC book is here
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2011, 01:04:55 PM »
There is a nice long interview with QC author/designer Mike Kooiman on Peter Tumey's Cole's Comics blog here-

http://colescomics.blogspot.com/2011/12/interview-with-mike-kooiman-quality.html

Lots of cool pics to let you see what a nice job Mike did.  People might want to know Peter has his own collections out for Midnight and Robotman that I highly recommend!

-Yoc