developed-responsibility
- +

Author Topic: Rangerhouse uploads  (Read 172664 times)

Offline vaillant

• VIP
  • DCM Member
Re: Rangerhouse Upload
« Reply #420 on: February 17, 2012, 07:01:26 AM »
Hello Rangerhouse. First, let me thank you for the wonderful books you are scanning… :)

I wished to ask an off-topic question.
Also picture of scanning station - PS5000C book scanner
Did you choose to buy that scanner chiefly to avoid ruining books and comics, or are there other reasons for chhosing such costly scanners vs. flatbed scanners (of course, the latter should have quality features)?
I ask because the fear of ruining books is not a central to me, while I wished a great quality in terms of sharpness and color faithfulness (maybe "dynamic range" is one of the most important issues.

Also, since the "golden age" in Italy has been represented by large format comic publications ("giornali"), of tabloid and even bigger sizes, I am considering to buy a large (A3) format flatbed scanner.

Many thanks! :)
Claudio

Digital Comic Museum

« Reply #420 on: February 17, 2012, 07:01:26 AM »

Offline rangerhouse

• DCM Facebook admin
  • Global Moderator
  • DCM Member
    • Digital Comic Museum Facebook Page
« Reply #421 on: February 17, 2012, 08:56:35 AM »
  Damage and Speed:    PS5000c you just turn the pages and all is scanned face up under bright light.   On a flat bed,  it takes so so so so much time to get the comic flat as possible,  then make sure position is correct,  and fear of damage (the dreaded one staple and pages are kind of attached).   On your flat bed your going to pull the paper from the staple.   AND speed,  each pages scans at 2-3 sec.    It toke me hours to scan a comic on a flat bed that I can do in under 10min with this PS5000c.  If I choose I can scan 2 pages at a time (just easier on editors if I do 1 pg at a time) and shorten scan to 5min.
 Also with a PS5000 its possible to scan bound volumes and brittle comics.  (not possible with flatbed without damage)

PS5000 can handle very large paper sized also.   I'm very happy with the scans.  I does do a slight curve on corners when book is sitting in cradle.  (small price to pay) for no damage.
I hope this helps..

Offline rangerhouse

• DCM Facebook admin
  • Global Moderator
  • DCM Member
    • Digital Comic Museum Facebook Page
« Reply #422 on: February 17, 2012, 09:10:14 AM »
RH - LOVE your desk and filing cabinets!

(|:{>
the cabinet I purchase in an Antique Store it New Philidelphia, OH..  27 drawers and and slide bottom,  and is also  adds wow factor to the room.  Can fit about 20 comics a drawer,  ..

Thanks
"Wow Factor" is right, rh!
I love wood. I have a stack of it in my living room right now being "acclimated" to my house and then to be installed along both walls in my living room and dining room, along with new carpet. They don't make carpet 14' wide anymore, so we're adding a one foot border of wood on each side of the 12' carpet.

My office is all wood, though my desk is laminated, not "real". Someday I'll show you a picture of our "special" cabinet - constructed without any nails or metal of any kind - and made of zebra wood, koa, and walnut. We designed our house around it when we remodeled. I AM jealous - although "20 comics a drawer" wouldn't work for the level of collecting I've done over the years.

Still, a very classy setup and it's likely I'll give in and start sending you stuff to scan - just as soon as I figure out where everything is. Somewhere along the way this last year I've lost a goodly selection of early Fight Comics between here and Fantagraphics and Jon the Scanner (10, 14, 16, 18,
23-27 and 48). Sigh... I knew the job was dangerous when I took it.

Peace, Jim (|:{>

WOW dangerous is a understatement,  I hope they are located soon,     I have filled my house with Antique furniture when possible, I find in many cases its cheaper than if you would purchase it new one made out of paperboard. I also collect Art Pottery when I find it cheap (Weller and Watt).    Well hopefully you will let me start scanning your collection someday.   I think what I can give you is SPEED of return of your comics. Not because I'm fast,  but because the scanner does all the work.  I'n very confident of a 3-7 day turn around time.  I just click the foot pedal and turn the pages.  Post all to Mediafire for the DCM crew to edit.
Love to see pictures when you get all your wood work up in living room and dining room. 
I will post some pictures of my Man Cave someday soon...  includes my 24 foot 1950s American Shuffleboard table.  Thanks for all you do for the hobby.. 

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #423 on: February 17, 2012, 11:08:24 AM »
Still, a very classy setup and it's likely I'll give in and start sending you stuff to scan - just as soon as I figure out where everything is. Somewhere along the way this last year I've lost a goodly selection of early Fight Comics between here and Fantagraphics and Jon the Scanner (10, 14, 16, 18,

Hi Jim,
Wonderful news about Brian.  I hope you can find those Fight books.  I only recall Jon asking for a pile of Wings Comics to do up to #85.

-Yoc

Offline vaillant

• VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #424 on: February 17, 2012, 12:20:03 PM »
@rangerhouse: Many thanks for the explanation. I’d have to ask a lot more technicalities, but I don’t want to spam this thread.
If it doesn't bother you, I was thinking to send you a PM. It seems I can’t access the profiles, but Private Messages should work.

The DCM site, and all you are doing are an unvaluable resource. If US citizens or native English people recognize its value, just imagine the value it has for foreign readers with have never had access to golden age books before, except occasional reprints done by the big publishers (which aren’t even remotely the same thing than seeing an actual scan of a comic book).
Most of the restoration done on artwork I find disapponting. I have quite appreciated DC Comics reprint of the golden age Sandman, and I think they put more care than the others in such reprints. :)

Offline movielover

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
« Reply #425 on: February 17, 2012, 04:51:48 PM »
Just uploaded a rangerhouse scan my edits of Black Terror 08 (c2c) (all paper).

Yoc, if you want you can dump the Fiche.

Offline JonTheScanner

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
« Reply #426 on: February 17, 2012, 04:58:18 PM »

Hi Jim,
Wonderful news about Brian.  I hope you can find those Fight books.  I only recall Jon asking for a pile of Wings Comics to do up to #85.

-Yoc

A large set of Fight Comics was with Fantagraphics. Gary sent them to me to scan before returning to Jim.  I scanned what I got and returned them to Jim. I didn't inventory them when they arrived as I had no list or even any idea what issues were included, but I'm 99 44/100% sure those issues never arrived here. All they did was sit in the box next to the scanner until they were scanned or in a file cabinet afterwards until i sent them along.

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #427 on: February 17, 2012, 05:14:53 PM »
Hi Jon,
Ouch.  I just heard the same story from Jim.  A real shame those issues seem MIA.
:(

Offline krankyboy

• Repeat Donor!
  • VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #428 on: February 17, 2012, 07:03:55 PM »
Soon :-)

I editing myself Silver Streak 18 and Fight 17
Scanning Done
Black Terror 6 & 8
Fantastic Comics 11
and
Punch Comics 23

all is good :-)

All is good indeed! I just downloaded your scan of Black Terror 08 and it looks terrific! Another big hole in that title filled! Many thanks for adding it here at DCM (and to movielover for his awesome assist on edits).  :)

Offline krankyboy

• Repeat Donor!
  • VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #429 on: February 17, 2012, 07:17:32 PM »
By the way, DCM is getting pretty close to having a complete run of Black Terrors. Rangerhouse has #06, and that just leaves #01 and #03 missing, along with a need for complete versions of #04, #17, and #21 (which have missing centerfolds or opening pages). Between BT and Fighting Yank, I'm amazed that almost all the books are available to read.

Makes you want to hug all the scanners like RH and others who have made it possible.  :hug:

Offline JVJ (RIP)

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
  • paix
    • ImageS Magazine
« Reply #430 on: February 17, 2012, 09:51:45 PM »

A large set of Fight Comics was with Fantagraphics. Gary sent them to me to scan before returning to Jim.  I scanned what I got and returned them to Jim. I didn't inventory them when they arrived as I had no list or even any idea what issues were included, but I'm 99 44/100% sure those issues never arrived here. All they did was sit in the box next to the scanner until they were scanned or in a file cabinet afterwards until i sent them along.

I'm not blaming anyone, Jon. You know that. It all devolves to me not paying close attention and insisting on the comics getting checked in and out from various locations. I HOPE I've learned my lesson. C'est la vie. Jim's Third Law: The Past is Over.

I hope to learn from it and move on.

JVJ Publishing and VW inc.

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #431 on: February 17, 2012, 10:28:07 PM »
Makes you want to hug all the scanners like RH and others who have made it possible.  :hug:

Hehehe, I'm sure all the scanners enjoy seeing your enthusiasm KB.
:)

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #432 on: February 19, 2012, 09:20:05 PM »
Now up from rangerhouse scans and Prime user edits -

Lovelorn 015

Offline movielover

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
« Reply #433 on: February 20, 2012, 05:26:02 AM »
Now uploaded Black Fury 10 (51 pgs diff version) no ibc, bc from heritage.

Rangerhouse scans, my edits

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #434 on: February 20, 2012, 09:15:54 AM »
That would be Black TERROR 10 ML.  With a cool cover and the SS Schomburg in the background
;)