developed-responsibility
- +

Author Topic: Adding Pages or Covers to a Scan already posted?  (Read 4696 times)

Offline rangerhouse

• DCM Facebook admin
  • Global Moderator
  • DCM Member
    • Digital Comic Museum Facebook Page
Adding Pages or Covers to a Scan already posted?
« on: October 20, 2010, 08:17:36 AM »
??   Should I combine my scan ??  (the missing pages or covers) with the current scan (missing pages) and post or just post the missing pages? and let DCM put add the missing pages ?

Just wondering.  Thanks

Digital Comic Museum

Adding Pages or Covers to a Scan already posted?
« on: October 20, 2010, 08:17:36 AM »

Offline JonTheScanner

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
Re: Adding Pages or Covers to a Scan already posted?
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2010, 09:55:37 AM »
I'd definitely vote for the latter.  In the short run some people will have to DL the whole thing again, but in the long run it's clearly a much better arrangement.  When I filled a dozen or so Wings Comics (from JVJ bless him) at once, I did create a file with just all the added pages as well as updating the existing files, but I wouldn't generally do that.

I suppose both a filled old file and a fills only file could be put up, but I'd think someone would want to remove the latter after a while.  Speaking of which, it's probably time the Wings fill file (1st one in the Wings section) could be removed.

Offline Roygbiv666

• Repeat Donor!
  • VIP
  • DCM Member
    • Standard Comics
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2010, 11:58:41 AM »
I'd definitely vote for the latter.  In the short run some people will have to DL the whole thing again, but in the long run it's clearly a much better arrangement.  When I filled a dozen or so Wings Comics (from JVJ bless him) at once, I did create a file with just all the added pages as well as updating the existing files, but I wouldn't generally do that.

I suppose both a filled old file and a fills only file could be put up, but I'd think someone would want to remove the latter after a while.  Speaking of which, it's probably time the Wings fill file (1st one in the Wings section) could be removed.

Wouldn't it be better for the scanner to create a single, updated file with the old and new pages, then post that? Then, any new downloaders get the (more) complete scan, and the old one can be deleted?

That way, only the scanner is doing the actual work, not anyone else? For example, if the scanner uploaded just the missing pages, then everyone who downloads need to take two files (the incomplete and the additional), download them, extract the jpgs, recombine them, etc.

Offline Geo (RIP)

• Global Moderator
  • DCM Member
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2010, 12:23:20 PM »
The way we've been doing it on DCM is to post the updated (c2c) file as "updated", then remove the old file (especially if it's a fiche). A lot of people don't have the time, skills, or software to add in the missing pages, so it's better to upload an updated file and state it as so if you didn't do so the first time around. Of course we (the staff here) have added pages in on occasion when requested if they are available to us, as Jon has done with his fills and as time is available to do so.

Geo
Filling holes, by ONE book at a time

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2010, 04:01:28 PM »
Thanks very much for you fills Rangerhouse!
And welcome to the forums as well.  :)

My suggestions on fills,
first check the incomplete scans and see if your own comic might be in better shape.  If it is and you have the time a new, c2c scan would be very welcome.
If you only want to add fills then yes, please do upload a new c2c file with (Updated) or (now c2c) in the file name and we can remove the incomplete version.  Also when uploading such files include the name of the original scanner or uploader when known as you both deserve credit for the complete book.

You've uploaded some great stuff/fills.  I look forward to your future posts.  Please don't hesitate to call on us here if you have any other questions, suggestions or thoughts.
-Yoc

Offline JonTheScanner

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2010, 05:56:38 PM »
Wouldn't it be better for the scanner to create a single, updated file with the old and new pages, then post that? Then, any new downloaders get the (more) complete scan, and the old one can be deleted?

Uh yeah .. my mistake change latter to former in my post.  I agree with you and thought that's what I'd said.

Offline Roygbiv666

• Repeat Donor!
  • VIP
  • DCM Member
    • Standard Comics
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2010, 07:23:25 PM »

Uh yeah .. my mistake change latter to former in my post.  I agree with you and thought that's what I'd said.

I will call off the hitman then.  ;)

Offline bminor

• Keeper of the Comics
  • VIP
  • DCM Member
    • Brian and Rebecca Minor Watercolors
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2011, 05:19:50 PM »
I have another question related to this topic.

I have noticed that in a lot of the complete books that come from paper scans, the scans are washed out.
This is something that I can readily fix, to make the colors "pop" more. Is this something that you guys on the site are looking for someone to actively do this job?
I would love to volunteer to do this work for you.
You could make a list of the most books in need of this work.
What do you think?
Yours,
bminor

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2011, 06:06:08 PM »
Hi B,
While adding pages isn't changing the original scan so I feel it's safe to say use them what you are talking about is changing the work of another scanner.  I don't feel qualified to speak for all scanners and give blanket approval for something like that.

I think it best to leave such fixes for private use and leave the originals as-is.  Unless you can get permission to redit from someone such as Narf or BuilderBoy who doesn't mind people tweaking their scans.

-Yoc

Offline larrytalbot

• VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2011, 10:44:24 PM »
Just a suggestion, Yoc.

Any improvements to a file would, I think, be welcomed by most readers. How about allowing Bminor to download his improved files as alternates to original files? The new file would still be credited to the original scanner, with a note: (alternate by Bminor).

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2011, 11:34:35 PM »
I agree some books could use some extra attention but the scans hosted on DCM do not belong to us.  It's not our place to 'correct' them no matter how much one might want to do so.  
I know it might be a very small minority but there are some that would not want/welcome a re-edit their work.
The last thing we'd want is to offend a scanner who has spent their time and money to produce an original scan.

Trust me, I've wrestled with the same idea many times over the years and keep any of my 'fixed' scans to myself for the above reason.

Offline narfstar

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2011, 06:29:35 AM »
And as always I welcome fixes to my scans. I have put up a lot of raw scans and they NEED fixin'

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2011, 10:06:01 AM »
Well there you go Bminor.  Fire away.
If you upload please add 'bminor edit' at the end of any file name.
GL!

Offline John C

• Administrators
  • DCM Member
    • John's Blog
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2011, 11:21:32 AM »
Keep in mind that there's another issue that, while we'd all be happy with "improvements," we might all disagree on what improves the scan for various reasons.

My recommendation, though, would be to just take it up with the individual scanner.  Not only does this let you find out if the scanner is amenable to the help (rather than having created exactly the file they want distributed), you're almost always better off working from the raw scan files than the processed and compressed files you download.  They may also have the experience with trying whatever you want to do and can make suggestions or explain why they didn't.

Offline larrytalbot

• VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2011, 10:43:41 PM »
Fair enough, Yoc & John.

What I had in mind was not so much a 'cosmetic' improvement (that may or may not actually be considered an improvement by some), but correction of glaring defects that most readers would consider desireable (i.e. increasing contrast on a washed-out, hard-to-read page; correcting blurred images & text, if possible)

I agree that original scanners should be consulted before tampering with their work. But, looking to the future when original scanners may no longer be around, it will be up to the 'Keepers of the Flame' on this & other such sites to determine if a submitted 'improved' file is worth keeping on the site.