developed-responsibility
- +

Author Topic: Atlas Comics returns  (Read 4822 times)

Offline bchat

• VIP
  • DCM Member
Atlas Comics returns
« on: September 16, 2010, 06:31:20 PM »
This has nothing to do with Golden Age comics, but ...

Just saw some articles about Jason Goodman relaunching Atlas Comics (with help from Ardden Entertainment).  From the two images I've seen (one each of Phoenix & Grim Ghost), it almost looks like what DC did with the Archie heroes (visually speaking, of course).  Just curious as to what anybody else thinks of this news.

Digital Comic Museum

Atlas Comics returns
« on: September 16, 2010, 06:31:20 PM »

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
Re: Atlas Comics returns
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2010, 12:00:32 AM »
This is a return of the 70's 'Atlas-Seaboard' company, not the Marvel predecessor.
I enjoyed the comics, especially the early issues.

As the line is going - will the new line last longer then the original?

Offline bchat

• VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2010, 08:31:47 AM »
This is a return of the 70's 'Atlas-Seaboard' company, not the Marvel predecessor.

Yeah, I should have clarified that.  Personally, I hear "Atlas" and I think of Goodman's company from '74-75, but I should have realized that most people would think of "Atlas Comics" from the 1950s.

I enjoyed the comics, especially the early issues.

My brother had a few Atlas comics when I was growing-up, so I've always been aware of them.  Several years back I got on a kick of grabbing whatever issues I could find (conventions & off eBay), but I'm still missing books (I don't have any of the magazines) and haven't read all the ones I do have.  I liked Grim Ghost, Tiger-Man, the first issue of Phoenix (haven't read the rest yet), Hands of The Dragon and Destructor, but didn't care for Cougar or Targitt.

As the line is going - will the new line last longer then the original?

Will it last more than 11 months?  Yeah, probably, if they stretch things out ... which they probably will. 
Will any title last more than 4 issues?  Who knows?  Depends on the books themselves.  Personally, I don't care much for the image of Grim Ghost I've seen in the press releases, and the picture of Phoenix shown on some sites reminds me of what DC did with the Archie heroes.

Offline Kevin Yong

• VIP
  • DCM Member
    • Crosshatchery: Kevin's writing archive and comic projects
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2010, 09:02:43 AM »
According to their editor-in-chief, the buzz from internet fandom has somewhat exaggerated Ardden Entertainment's actual plans. According to him, they're only reviving two characters, not the entire Atlas line.

Oh well... it's a start.  ;)

-- Kevin Yong

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2010, 09:14:04 AM »
I liked the two they've chosen but I recall enjoying Vampire Planet and The Scorpion titles the most.

-Yoc

Offline bchat

• VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2010, 09:27:39 AM »
Yeah, people have a habit of blowing things out of proportion.  I figured they were starting with GG & Phoenix and then going from there, since the press release on Ardden's site didn't mention anything else.  I certainly didn't think "Atlas" was coming back as a full-blown line with a dozen titles ... it didn't work the first time, and it certainly wouldn't work now.

I haven't read Planet of Vampires yet (I'm missing the last issue), but that wouldn't be a bad follow-up to GG & Phoenix.  Anything that isn't flat-out superheroes is probably the best direction for Atlas to go in, since there's so much superhero stuff out there already.

Offline John C

• Administrators
  • DCM Member
    • John's Blog
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2010, 04:55:50 PM »
Keep in mind that they may be strongly limited in what they can use.  By every account of Atlast that I've read, they attracted talent by giving the character rights (whatever they are beyond trademarks) to the creators.  So we may never see an Atlas Scorpion, as the rights could rest with Chakyin.

And on top of that, a good number of the properties are blatant ripoffs of things they wanted to license, but couldn't get the money for.  In the more litigious environment of today, "Planet of Vampires" could well be a pretty big risk, for example.

But hey, more power to them for finding a niche.  Hopefully, they'll do something good.

Offline narfstar

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2010, 06:27:05 PM »
I do not think there is enough money in comics for anyone to make a fuss about a rip off. The money is in movies and movies are from originals and vice versa

Offline John C

• Administrators
  • DCM Member
    • John's Blog
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2010, 07:20:59 AM »
Possibly not, but every publisher is going to make that decision differently.  You might think it'll be fine and I might risk it, but neither of us are businessmen who need to make those sorts of decisions and risk our money and reputations on it.

Plus, since a lot of comic book publishing is around specifically (as you suggest) in hopes of getting a movie deal...well, you don't really want to hype the Cougar when someone else is doing a Kolchak revival, do you?  That's money spent without any license coming in.

Offline bchat

• VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2010, 08:09:30 AM »
I'm not a big enough fan of the old line to have read everything about them, so I have some questions.

Keep in mind that they may be strongly limited in what they can use.  By every account of Atlast that I've read, they attracted talent by giving the character rights (whatever they are beyond trademarks) to the creators.  So we may never see an Atlas Scorpion, as the rights could rest with Chakyin.

Might that be part of the reason that the books (for the most part) "changed directions" after a few issues ... in effect, the creators would get to keep their "character rights" while Atlas continued to use (and own) the Trademark on a changed/altered/all-new character they could claim sole ownership to?

And on top of that, a good number of the properties are blatant ripoffs of things they wanted to license, but couldn't get the money for.  In the more litigious environment of today, "Planet of Vampires" could well be a pretty big risk, for example.

I never heard that said before (ripping-off an idea they wanted to license).  What was Planet of Vampires a rip-off of?  Again, I haven't read that book yet, so maybe it's obvious, but, to me, it just sounds like a neat concept that's similar to a lot of things and not one single thing specifically.

Offline John C

• Administrators
  • DCM Member
    • John's Blog
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2010, 10:59:01 AM »
I'm not a big enough fan of the old line to have read everything about them, so I have some questions.

I should have run a disclaimer before I posted, but I think I've actually read more ABOUT Atlas than FROM Atlas, starting with links from Jim Shelley's (Flashback Universe) blog post about a year ago on the Atlas books.  I read the Morlock 2001 series, and one or two others.  Like yourself, I have a pile in here, but haven't taken the time to go through much of it.

Might that be part of the reason that the books (for the most part) "changed directions" after a few issues ... in effect, the creators would get to keep their "character rights" while Atlas continued to use (and own) the Trademark on a changed/altered/all-new character they could claim sole ownership to?

I suppose it's possible, though it would seem like an odd choice as they were still trying to find their footing and bring in top talent.  While I don't have any experience in the field, obviously, the Goodmans and their staff didn't seem to be much on long-term strategy, just getting the talent (and thus the sales, in theory) as early as possible.  So I don't see what good character rights would be when you lose the reader draw of the writer who owns the version you're avoiding.

I never heard that said before (ripping-off an idea they wanted to license).  What was Planet of Vampires a rip-off of?  Again, I haven't read that book yet, so maybe it's obvious, but, to me, it just sounds like a neat concept that's similar to a lot of things and not one single thing specifically.

Oh, it was developed to adapt (and continue) "The Omega Man," the "I Am Legend" adaptation starring Charlton Heston.  They modified when they decided not to spend the money, but that's the core.  Likewise, the Scorpion was developed as the Spider and the Cougar as Kolchak the Night Stalker.  There might have been another on the list (other than the Brute aping the Hulk, I mean--clearly, nobody expected to license a comic book character for another comic book).

Not that they couldn't have (or didn't) develop into something unique, mind you, just that the core concept is a rewrite of someone else's material.  And while not illegal in any sense, it would limit the marketplace utility to come back and compete with revivals of those very originals.

Offline bchat

• VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2010, 06:45:56 PM »
I should have run a disclaimer before I posted, but I think I've actually read more ABOUT Atlas than FROM Atlas, starting with links from Jim Shelley's (Flashback Universe) blog post about a year ago on the Atlas books.  I read the Morlock 2001 series, and one or two others.  Like yourself, I have a pile in here, but haven't taken the time to go through much of it.

I read a lot of the articles on the "Atlas Archives" site and did read Jim Shelley's post on Atlas, plus other things here & there, but I guess the "similar to/blatant rip-off of such-and-such" parts of what was said never stuck with me ... everything is influenced by something else, after all.

Oh, it was developed to adapt (and continue) "The Omega Man," the "I Am Legend" adaptation starring Charlton Heston.  They modified when they decided not to spend the money, but that's the core.  Likewise, the Scorpion was developed as the Spider and the Cougar as Kolchak the Night Stalker.  There might have been another on the list (other than the Brute aping the Hulk, I mean--clearly, nobody expected to license a comic book character for another comic book).

I never would have made the connection between The Cougar (which I didn't care for) & Kolchak (which I like but haven't seen enough of).

I like the movies Last Man on Earth, Omega Man and I Am Legend, so now I'm interested in digging-out the first two issues (missing the third) of Planet of Vampires to see if it's anywhere near as good.

I've only flipped through the first issue of Scorpion.  It looked pretty good but came across to me as more of an imitation of the James Bond films, which I'm not really a fan of, to be honest.

Offline Geo (RIP)

• Global Moderator
  • DCM Member
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2010, 08:27:01 PM »
I like the movies Last Man on Earth, Omega Man and I Am Legend, so now I'm interested in digging-out the first two issues (missing the third) of Planet of Vampires to see if it's anywhere near as good.

I liked the Planet of the Vampires series too when it came out. The third issue featured Russ Heath art. I was a bit disappointed that the series stopped with that third issue and didn't continue at the time.
Cover shot of issue 3: http://yfrog.com/ht48968j

Geo
« Last Edit: September 18, 2010, 09:20:01 PM by Geo »
Filling holes, by ONE book at a time

Offline narfstar

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2010, 04:42:13 AM »
I have paper and digital of most of these. I enjoyed them when they came out but it seems that the ones I liked least originally I enjoyed the most many years later. Planet of Vampires being a prime example.

Offline John C

• Administrators
  • DCM Member
    • John's Blog
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2010, 02:29:59 PM »
I read a lot of the articles on the "Atlas Archives" site and did read Jim Shelley's post on Atlas, plus other things here & there, but I guess the "similar to/blatant rip-off of such-and-such" parts of what was said never stuck with me ... everything is influenced by something else, after all.

From Jon Cooke's Comic Book Artist #16 article, by way of the Atlas Archives:

...the editor pursued pulp characters The Avenger and The Spider; movie creature Godzilla and his Toho monster brethren; TV series Kolchak: The Night Stalker; and the Charlton Heston film, The Omega Man. Martin Goodman deemed all the licenses to be too expensive and suggested a Timely-worn tradition to swipe. The Spider became The Scorpion, Kolchak became The Cougar, and The Omega Man became Planet of Vampires. Why pay when you can steal?

http://www.atlasarchives.com/history.html

As I said, this isn't necessarily a terrible thing for them to have done, nor does it mean those stories must somehow be, by definition, unoriginal.  However, I do think it damages the marketability and almost certainly limits the scope of licensing opportunities.  After all, what studio would want to risk a Scorpion movie when Conde Nast (I believe) could show up demanding a cut of the revenue and the Spider rights are probably just as easy to get?

And getting back to the reason I brought it all up in the first place, if you add in the writers holding the rights to many characters, it can explain why the "relaunch" is so small and starting with relatively obscure titles.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2010, 02:34:30 PM by John C »