- +

Author Topic: Wave of the future for scanning comic books or any other book  (Read 2395 times)

Offline RJ Bowman

• DCM Member
http://www.diybookscanner.org/

Found this web site for people wanting to build their own book-scanning equipment. These are home-built devices based on high-megapixel consumer-oriented digital cameras. The resolution is lower than a scanner, but with the trade-off of much higher speed.

These devices typically hold the book in a cradle with two surfaces connected at a 90-degree angle; the book doesn't have to lay flat, which is less harmful if you are scanning delicate well-aged paper. Two facing pages can be photographed simultaniously with two cameras; with a good setup, you can scan a book about as fast as you can turn the pages and click a button. Special hardware and software syncs the cameras, and stores the images with seqential file names. Custom open-source software is used for bulk cleanup of the images after scanning.

I have seen a sample of a scanned all-text book. The images were clear, clean-looking, and very readable. I think that this technology could be adapted to comics quite effectively.

Digital Comic Museum

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
Re: Wave of the future for scanning comic books or any other book
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2010, 09:19:07 PM »
Thanks RJ,
So far the people supplying the books or doing the scanning have been willing to risk their books for the idea that the scans will live on forever.  Some here have tried digital pictures but the final result wasn't exactly the nicest.  It looks like the set-ups you've got in the links would require a lot of time and funds to reproduce.  And certainly more technical skills than I'd ever manage.  But it's good to know it's possible to do.

-Yoc

Offline John C

• Administrators
  • DCM Member
    • John's Blog
Re: Wave of the future for scanning comic books or any other book
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2010, 07:29:52 AM »
Those people are showing off, Yoc, but someone could easily do this cheaper and easier, with a little bit more setup time and with a loss of stability (in my house, that would be fine, since I'm often moving things around, rather than creating "stations" for tasks).  In the end, you have a v-shaped block to set the book, two heavy transparent objects (glass or plastic, preferably attached in the same v-shape), and the two cameras hung perpendicular to the page.  Oh, and the bright overhead lamp.

If you didn't want to go to the trouble of opening up the cameras to synchronize them, you could just press the two buttons from the perch between page turns.

The real issue, I think, is that cheap digital cameras are actually even less useful than they claim.  Due to the construction and--especially--the lenses, you start getting blurring artifacts at anything over six megapixels, so you're not really getting the effective resolution you think you are.  (Or at least, that was still the case a couple years back.  I'm not a camera guy--I believe my sole camera is "VGA resolution" and cost me ten bucks, and seldom used--so that may have changed recently.)