developed-responsibility
- +

Author Topic: Best Heroines?  (Read 2428 times)

Offline erontron

• DCM Member
Best Heroines?
« on: July 23, 2010, 08:15:40 PM »
I am a huge fan of superheroes and superHEROINES specifically. Part of the reason why I got into the golden age comics was because I wanted to see what heroines there were before/other than Wonder Woman. I got to say I was really surprised at how many were either, a) had their own titles or b) were in long running strips in big name titles.

One of the things that I like about this era of heroines is that they are gorgeous (to the limit's of a particular artist's talents) but they don't make you wonder, like in today's comics, about their back health or plastic surgery bills. ;) ::)

Who, to you, were the best of the Golden Age heroines?

Digital Comic Museum

Best Heroines?
« on: July 23, 2010, 08:15:40 PM »

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
Re: Best Heroines?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2010, 08:37:38 PM »
Well, I take a big interest in Quality and Fox's Phantom Lady myself.

Quality had several women in their books -
For quirky Madam Fatal in Crack Comics #1-22 (though 'she' was really a 'he').
Quality also had the very fun police woman Sally O'Neil in National #01-75 which is an impressive run for Any GA character, never mind a female one.
Finally they had Lady Luck and the Very popular for her GGA 'Torchy' both in their own books by the end.

-Yoc

Offline srca1941

• VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2010, 09:47:11 AM »
they don't make you wonder, like in today's comics, about their back health or plastic surgery bills. ;) ::)

Yes, I never understood that about today's books. Heck, I never understood the attraction to big breasts at all, fictional or real. But then I've always been pretty conservative and old fashioned. I'd rather see realistic interpretations of women, and of men too (i.e. not bodybuilder bodies).

As for Quality heroines, don't forget about Wildfire and Spider Widow, and even Doll Girl, even though she was just a supporting character in Doll Man.

-Eric

Offline darkmark (RIP)

• VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2010, 07:35:30 PM »
Some of my fave GA heroines?  Let's see...

Harvey's Black Cat...definitely!

Fiction House's Camilla, especially as drawn by Fran Hopper.

Senorita Rio done by the Eisner Shop.  Don't miss those two stories!

Lady Luck...fine and funny.

Fiction House's Futura...one heck of a heroine, in the tradition of Hunt Bowman and Killraven, kinda.

DC's Black Canary.

Timely's Namora.  Bill Everett could draw women like nobody's business.  Might add Venus to this one, but I like Namora better.

I'm sure I'll think of more later.

Offline phabox (RIP)

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2010, 03:13:13 AM »
I must admit to having a soft spot for Liberty Bell and Merry The Gimmick Girl from DC Not to forget Sandra of the Secret Service who first showed up way way back in 1935 looooong before many of those heroic ladies who followed in her dainty footsteps.

Other Heroines who have interested me in recent years include Hillman's Black Angel and Pat Patiot from Lev Gleason, maybe one day the reasons for this might be revealed  ;)

-Nigel

Offline BobS

• Banned
  • DCM Member
  • public enemy #1
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2010, 12:56:43 PM »
My faves are Black Cat and Sheena.
Tarpe' Mills' Black Fury I like too.
& Venus and the other Timely femmes are interesting.
10 cent era Wonder Woman too.

Bob
Public Enemy #1

Offline narfstar

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2010, 05:51:34 PM »
I don't have the appreciation for Black Cat that most do. I do agree on Black Fury though. Also the one shot Black Orchid in Topps Comics. I think she had a lot of potential. Too bad she never appeared in a full size comic book.