- +

Author Topic: Hans and Fritz out of copyright?  (Read 3246 times)

Offline pbrians

• DCM Member
Hans and Fritz out of copyright?
« on: June 16, 2010, 11:37:32 AM »
I own a 1917 collection of Rudolf Dirks' "Hans and Fritz" strips. I'm not sure whether I could post it here because "The Katzenjammer Kids" is still being published and the characters may still be under copyright.

It was #193 from Saalfield.

Does anyone know if this is out of copyright?

I'm brand new to this site, and i'm unclear about this sort of detail.

And how literally should I take "golden age" in the context of DCM. Do you accept "platinum age" comics?

Digital Comic Museum

Hans and Fritz out of copyright?
« on: June 16, 2010, 11:37:32 AM »

Offline OtherEric

• Global Moderator
  • DCM Member
Re: Hans and Fritz out of copyright?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2010, 12:40:32 PM »
We definitely take Platinum age when we can get it, which obviously isn't often.

If the collection was published in the US in 1917 it's public domain.  According to Overstreet the 193 is a reprint of the 1917 book from 1929; I think that should be fine (particularly if there is no date other than 1917 on it) but waiting for verification from one of the other experts wouldn't hurt.  (1922 is the cut off for "if it was published in the US it's PD")

Which reminds me, one of these days I need to figure out what to do with my copy of Mr. and Mrs. from 1922; the page size is just slightly too large for my scanner.

Offline John C

• Administrators
  • DCM Member
    • John's Blog
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2010, 03:54:19 PM »
The original is too early to be renewed and I don't see a renewal for "Hans and" anything around 1957.  Looks clear to me.

Offline JVJ (RIP)

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
  • paix
    • ImageS Magazine
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2010, 09:17:34 PM »
I own a 1917 collection of Rudolf Dirks' "Hans and Fritz" strips. I'm not sure whether I could post it here because "The Katzenjammer Kids" is still being published and the characters may still be under copyright.

Hans und Fritz is NOT The Katzenjammer Kids. Everybody knows that this is polite fiction, but nonetheless, it's the official and legal position. As OtherEric says, pre-1923 is Public Domain. Post away.

Peace, Jim (|:{>
Peace, Jim (|:{>

JVJ Publishing and VW inc.

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2010, 11:30:44 PM »
Hi PB,
Be sure to read the FAQ and Uploading via the site tutorial here -