- +

Author Topic: OtherEric's Uploads  (Read 54914 times)

Offline OtherEric

• Global Moderator
  • DCM Member
Re: OtherEric's Uploads
« Reply #165 on: July 23, 2011, 02:12:57 PM »
4 Most v6 n2 is now ready for download, thanks to JVJ!

Update on the v7 n3:  I have a copy on the way, so that one will be posted once I get the fills.  Part of me feels weird borrowing a book from JVJ and then snagging my own copy, as if it will look like I'm saying Jim's isn't good enough.  But it's really saying:  "Thank you for letting me borrow and share this pile of 50 books, only one or two of which I could afford on my own.  Finding one of yours missing pages just tells me where to point my own limited efforts."

Digital Comic Museum

« Reply #165 on: July 23, 2011, 02:12:57 PM »

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #166 on: July 23, 2011, 03:16:55 PM »
I'm sure Jim will be happy to see any missing pages as much as anyone Eric.

Offline OtherEric

• Global Moderator
  • DCM Member
« Reply #167 on: August 07, 2011, 02:05:25 AM »
And two issues of 4 Most for everybody tonight:  5/1 and 7/2, courtesy of JVJ and myself. 

Only 5 issues to go on this title, and thanks to Jim they're the next 5 books on my scanning pile.

Enjoy!

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #168 on: August 07, 2011, 06:36:42 PM »
Thanks Eric.  Wonderful to think it will be another complete run for DCM!

Offline Geo (RIP)

• Global Moderator
  • DCM Member
« Reply #169 on: August 08, 2011, 10:49:13 AM »
Thanks to Eric and JVJ for these jewels.

Geo
Filling holes, by ONE book at a time

Offline OtherEric

• Global Moderator
  • DCM Member
« Reply #170 on: August 26, 2011, 01:19:41 PM »
Sorry for the delays in anything getting up here, just a slight time crunch mixed with another project.  I'll have more of JVJ's novelty books up very soon.

Meanwhile, here's a trio of Adventures of Peter Wheat 34-36.  I would really like to hear from any other Kelly fans on these, 34 and 35 are stated in multiple sources to be by Walt Kelly.  But they don't look like he had much if anything to do with them, and they don't look that much like Hubbard either.  If it was just Overstreet saying they were Kelly, I would disregard it.  But I'm pretty sure Maggie Thompson has also said they're Kelly and I respect her knowledge on the subject.  So, any thoughts?

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #171 on: August 26, 2011, 02:57:08 PM »
Geez, I'm not sure Eric.
#34 doesn't feel like him much but #35 does at time and then that really odd magnet monster shows and looks nothing like him!

Offline JonTheScanner

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
« Reply #172 on: August 27, 2011, 09:57:47 AM »
I agree with Yoc.  I don't know if someone tried to imitate Kelly or if Kelly handed off unfinished stuff to assistants.  Maybe they had someone do a couple while searching for a new permanent person and the "these are by Kelly" comments are more "we know precisely when Hubbard started so these must be by Kelly."

Offline JVJ (RIP)

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
  • paix
    • ImageS Magazine
« Reply #173 on: August 27, 2011, 03:09:16 PM »
I would really like to hear from any other Kelly fans on these, 34 and 35 are stated in multiple sources to be by Walt Kelly.  But they don't look like he had much if anything to do with them, and they don't look that much like Hubbard either.  If it was just Overstreet saying they were Kelly, I would disregard it.  But I'm pretty sure Maggie Thompson has also said they're Kelly and I respect her knowledge on the subject.  So, any thoughts?

Well, it's known that Kelly had an assistant(s) and that his(their) job was to present finished work that looked like Kelly. This looks like Kelly in many ways, but, as you note, Eric, in other ways it doesn't. Kelly is most in evidence in the most prominent characters and fades off into not even being there as the importance lessens.

My GUESS is that these are roughly penciled by Kelly with more detail/attention being given to Peter Wheat and a few other characters, with finished pencils and inks on everything by George Ward (and perhaps others).

FWIW.

(|:{>
Peace, Jim (|:{>

JVJ Publishing and VW inc.

Offline OtherEric

• Global Moderator
  • DCM Member
« Reply #174 on: August 28, 2011, 12:25:56 PM »
That sounds about right, Jim.  Or at least as good a guess as we're likely to get at this point.  I'm also thinking that, if Kelly worked on the 34 and 35, he also did some work on the 37.

More generally, issues 34-37 of Adventures are a creative mess.  One thing I will mention about Kelly's involvement:  There's no way on Earth he wrote any of those issues.  The storytelling in these are a complete mess, and I even think it's possible parts of the story in 35-37 were originally meant for something else.  Going from an underwater story back to the surface to fight the Wizard, then dispatching him so quickly they have time to build a house before they go back underwater?  The only way I can make any sense out of this is there was a sudden need for pages and they took pages from elsewhere- possibly a 3-part, 12-page serial for Peter Wheat News- and shoved it in to get the 35 and 36 done in time.  This might also explain why Kelly looks completely absent from the 36 but, at least to me, looks to have some slight involvement in the 37.  (Or at least as much in the 37 as the 35; his involvement in both is minimal if it's there at all.)

I find these issues fascinating, hinting as confusion behind the scenes as Kelly left the title and headed off with Pogo to the newspapers.  I just don't find them good.

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #175 on: August 29, 2011, 12:27:03 AM »
I'm with you all the way Eric and Jim.
Hints of Kelly but only in the leads and the stories are pretty lame as Eric noted.  That jumped out at me right off.  But they are certainly worth reading if for nothing to see Kelly slowly leaving the title to other, less cabable (IMO) hands.

Everyone owes you a huge debt of thanks for bringing so many of these issues to light Eric.  Without your passion for the title we'd still be in the dark.  I know I would have been and I'm a Big Kelly fan!

-Yoc

Offline OtherEric

• Global Moderator
  • DCM Member
« Reply #176 on: August 30, 2011, 12:35:55 AM »
The weird thing is that the transition between creative teams was so messy.  The definite Connell/ Hubbard issues are, while not in Kelly's league, are really quite well done.

And you're very welcome, Yoc.  Thanks for what I've done has been largely indirect; but I know from links and other things that I've had an impact with these scans.

Offline OtherEric

• Global Moderator
  • DCM Member
« Reply #177 on: September 23, 2011, 02:50:28 AM »
Six Gun Heroes #45 now ready for download.  This is the c2c version, including "Gunfighter for Hire" by Joe Maneely.  You may have seen the preview posted yesterday; I'm leaving that up for now since it was linked to elsewhere.

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #178 on: September 23, 2011, 08:56:35 AM »
Nicely done Eric!

Offline OtherEric

• Global Moderator
  • DCM Member
« Reply #179 on: October 27, 2011, 02:23:15 PM »
And real life has been getting in the way, but Adventures of Peter Wheat #21 is now ready for download.  And I'm working on more of JVJ's books again after a delay.

For anybody who grabbed the Peter Wheat #21 yesterday, you probably don't need a new copy.  I just had issues with the first page being too big, so I recompiled the file and reuploaded.