developed-responsibility
- +

Author Topic: OtherEric's Uploads  (Read 54731 times)

Offline OtherEric

• Global Moderator
  • DCM Member
Re: OtherEric's Uploads
« Reply #105 on: April 20, 2011, 09:54:16 PM »
And after several hours of work...

The Patient, Target v2 n12, will need to stay in its protective sheets.  But despite having lost all "collector" value, it has a long life ahead of it as a readable book in my collection, instead of a brittle "investment" that I can barely risk opening the cover on.  (Although that very brittleness made it not cost very much at all for that particular book.)

The rest of you get a scan to enjoy; as is usual with Targets from this era the highlight is a Wolverton Spacehawk story.  Enjoy!

Digital Comic Museum

« Reply #105 on: April 20, 2011, 09:54:16 PM »

Offline JVJ (RIP)

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
  • paix
    • ImageS Magazine
« Reply #106 on: April 21, 2011, 03:58:04 AM »
Like I said, I had a few Target issues on the way.  They arrived today, and while some of them will require a LOT of work, some of them are super-easy to work with.  (As an aside, it's amazing how much a little restoration can drop the cost of a book.)
Once you discover that reading the book is more important than "collecting" it, many cost-saving options arise, Eric - like the stick the brittle pages into sheet protectors. I don't recall how or when I stumbled across that approach, but it was a practical alternative to watching the pages disintegrate every time I wanted to refer to the book. Glad you can appreciate it, as it bespeaks well for your love of the medium.
Target Comics v2 n3 ready for download.  This one has TWO Spacehawk stories- in addition to the regular story, the text story features him as well.  Wolverton gets the byline on it, and it's reasonably clever.  Even if somebody ghosted the story the half-page illo is definitely Wolverton.

One thing I would like the experts to chime in on:  The White Streak story has a Carl Burgos byline, but the GCD credits Emil Gershwin.  I don't know enough about either artist to be sure, but the byline does not look like they're using Burgos as a house name- and the Streak looks a bit like the Human Torch to my eyes.
Probably another case of a GCD entry by someone who never saw the book in question. Most definitely NOT Gershwin (who will eventually be the subject of the next Alter Ego "The Great Unknowns" column - when Roy eventually finds space) and most assuredly IS Burgos. The wonderful plethora of spinning head speed lines is just one of many giveaways to the Burgos style.
Anyway, Enjoy! 

While I normally am anxious to share my adventures in Paris, the first installment of this report is heavily slanted towards wine, so if you are at all interested in what I do while in Paris and like to look at empty wine bottles, click here:
http://www.bpib.com/paris/2011-Spring/part-one.html
More to come with less about wine and more about art and comics.

Peace, Jim (|:{>
Peace, Jim (|:{>

JVJ Publishing and VW inc.

Offline OtherEric

• Global Moderator
  • DCM Member
« Reply #107 on: April 21, 2011, 05:05:15 PM »
As long as we're looking at artist ID's, here's something BobS posted in the comment section for the Target v2 n4

BobS
Comment:    I MOSTLY HIGHLY recommend this book for the Target and the Targeteers story and especially the art! Don't miss it! (George) "Inky" Roussos is a character in the story and it appears that Roussos inked the story (Bob Wood signed the art), or Roussos or Roussos and Robinson ghosted the art entirely. The art looks just like Batman art of the era, down to names written on building fronts and stock Batman poses. Way cool story!!! Bob

Any comment on that one, Jim?  I have to admit it looks a lot like a Batman story from around then to me, as well.

Offline OtherEric

• Global Moderator
  • DCM Member
« Reply #108 on: April 24, 2011, 08:47:20 PM »
Target Comics V02 N10 now ready for download.

This book was also brittle, but I had hopes of keeping it together through the scanning since it was, on the surface, better than the 2-12.  No such luck, it was in slightly higher grade but worse actual shape.  Still, scans were successfully obtained and I had the binder ready in case.

As usual with the early Targets, the highlight here is Spacehawk.  Enjoy!

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #109 on: April 24, 2011, 11:00:07 PM »
Also has a Mickey Spillane text story for those that read them.
Thanks Eric!

See pg 34 for the txt page.

Offline OtherEric

• Global Moderator
  • DCM Member
« Reply #110 on: April 24, 2011, 11:41:28 PM »
I think you're looking at the wrong issue, Yoc.  No Spillane this issue- although some other issues do have his stories.

Offline OtherEric

• Global Moderator
  • DCM Member
« Reply #111 on: April 25, 2011, 02:18:27 PM »
And here's Target Comics V02 N06, ready for download.  Luckily this one is in better shape than the 2/10 and 2/12, and stayed together when I scanned it.

Oh, just to clarify something that came up in comments on the issues on the download page:  These recent early Targets, unlike most (but not all) of the v4 and up I've been posting the past couple months, are from my collection, not JVJ's.  I got his early Targets a couple years ago in one of my first batches of his books; these are from a bunch I found recently in beat up and therefore affordable shape.  JVJ deserves praise to the heavens for his sharing of books, but I do want credit for occasionally finding things on my own, too!

Most importantly, one way or another we have the books now.  So enjoy another Wolverton Spacehawk story and lots of other fun features in this one!

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #112 on: April 25, 2011, 03:59:32 PM »
Thanks Eric.
I've updated the Description to mention your above post.
As a large majority of members don't use the forum it seemed the best way to get your message out.
:)

Offline darkmark (RIP)

• VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #113 on: April 26, 2011, 12:46:59 PM »
Keep them Targets comin'!  Wonder if there are any Blue Bolts after this?

Offline OtherEric

• Global Moderator
  • DCM Member
« Reply #114 on: April 26, 2011, 04:03:41 PM »
Sorry, no Blue Bolts.  Right now the pile is 2 more new Targets, one Target (3-4) that I want to rescan because it was one of my first books scanned and I'm ashamed to look at the original version now, and one Jingle Jangle.  Plus I should get several more Target scans from Geo to edit from JVJ's collection.

Glad you're enjoying the Targets, though!

Offline OtherEric

• Global Moderator
  • DCM Member
« Reply #115 on: April 26, 2011, 10:43:49 PM »
And here's one of those promised Targets:  V3 N2 now ready for download.  Some of you may have seen this one before, since I know there was a GM scan of this one out there.  This is a brand new scan from my own collection, ready for you to enjoy!

Offline OtherEric

• Global Moderator
  • DCM Member
« Reply #116 on: April 27, 2011, 12:33:23 AM »
Jingle Jangle Comics 10 now ready for download, 15 pages of George Carlson in this one.

We're really getting close on this title, only 2 missing and 3 incomplete books left.

Offline OtherEric

• Global Moderator
  • DCM Member
« Reply #117 on: April 27, 2011, 09:48:07 PM »
And now I'm working on more of JVJ's Targets, Geo's scans (mostly), my edits (again, mostly):

Target Comics v6 n9 ready for download.

Offline OtherEric

• Global Moderator
  • DCM Member
« Reply #118 on: April 30, 2011, 07:15:03 PM »
Continuing the JVJ-Geo-Me teamup:  Target Comics v6 n1 ready for download.

Offline darkmark (RIP)

• VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #119 on: April 30, 2011, 08:31:39 PM »
And we downloaded it!  Thanks, Eric.