developed-responsibility
- +

Author Topic: Welcome to the DCM  (Read 80403 times)

Offline Geo (RIP)

• Global Moderator
  • DCM Member
Re: Welcome to the DCM
« Reply #180 on: October 21, 2011, 05:09:18 PM »
I believe you will Scott as we have a very wide selection of books. Please enjoy the books we have, with more coming daily.

Geo
Filling holes, by ONE book at a time

Digital Comic Museum

« Reply #180 on: October 21, 2011, 05:09:18 PM »

Offline theorbys

• DCM Member
« Reply #181 on: November 22, 2011, 10:00:56 PM »
Hi, I just joined 30 minutes ago, and am very pleased to have found this place. 

I am 69, have been reading comics in one form or another for about 65 years (I count having my big brother read them to me as reading them) and am still going strong.   I know US comics best, followed by European (mostly published in French), and Manga (in English or French), and I am still finding new things, some of which even though new to me are as old as me, my latest discoveries being the amazing Powerhouse Pepper by Basil Wolverton and Intellectual Amos by Andre Leblanc.  My tastes are pretty eclectic, but I kind of like anthropomorphic comics like the Nikopol Trilogy or Blacksad and guys in red suits like Flash and Dr. Solar (and of course, Santa).  Aside from comics I like to read Literature, classical and modern, mostly prose but some poetry.

Offline Geo (RIP)

• Global Moderator
  • DCM Member
« Reply #182 on: November 22, 2011, 10:57:33 PM »
Welcome aboard theorbys, I'm sure you'll find something that matches your eclectic tastes here, as we have a little bit of everything. So please enjoy your stay with us here, and join in when you feel the need.

Geo
Filling holes, by ONE book at a time

Offline etragedy

• DCM Member
« Reply #183 on: November 29, 2011, 09:46:52 AM »
Hi everyone. Brand new to the site, haven't even checked out a single comic here yet, but eager to get started.
I'm a long time comic fan, I also study and teach about the history of comics.

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #184 on: November 29, 2011, 11:54:36 AM »
Welcome E, tons of source material here for you classes!
Enjoy.

-Yoc

Offline vaillant

• VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #185 on: December 05, 2011, 11:48:25 AM »
Hi, I have joined a few days ago, as I was looking for the content of issues from the Daredevil Comics series (by Lev Gleason).

I am from Italy where – as you probably know – we have had almost no translated edition of early Golden Age comics.
Silver age Marvels started to be published with a 10-year delay (or so) in the early 1970s.

I am getting increasingly fascinated by Daredevil and the work of Charles Biro, and I hope I will be able to contribute in some way.
For now, many many thanks for this effort. :)

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #186 on: December 05, 2011, 12:23:41 PM »
Welcome V
Biro had a style all his own.

Enjoy the goodies and we always welcome small donations towards our monthly sever bill.
:)

Offline vaillant

• VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #187 on: December 08, 2011, 10:31:32 AM »
Hi Yoc,
fine, but I also hope to contribute with some scans. I have almost nothing from the Golden Age, but I am waiting for four issues of Daredevil (prior to #50) I just purchased.

Coming to the Silver Age (I do not count classic syndicate Walt Disney by Floyd Gottfredson) I am a big fan of Jack Kirby, and of course I am really sorry the early Timely comics are so expensive. You can stretch to a Lev Gleason comic, but "Young Allies", "Marvel Comics" or "Captain America" are out of the question, unless you find them coverless… :(
I would particularly love to have an issue of "Captain America", since I personally met Jack at his Thousand Oaks home in 1991, and he was a wonderful person. I would like to know his nephew Jeremy some day.
I am also a big fan of Steve Gerber (with whom I briefly discussed via email about depression, before he got ill) and of Marv Wolfman, but all of the classic Silver Age Marvel have been among my formative readings, and I hold them very dear. :)

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #188 on: December 08, 2011, 11:20:45 AM »
We would certainly would welcome any Daredevil Comics to the collection V.  Jeff Cannell just shared #7 today!
There are a few Masterworks collections of early Kirby work out.  Sadly we can't share any of his Marvel work here.  It must have been a real thrill to meet the man!

Offline vaillant

• VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #189 on: December 08, 2011, 11:25:27 AM »
@Yoc: Oh, yes, it has been.
Jack was a wonderful person, and I suspect his health was already not so good in 1991, when I visited him.
(it has also been the only time I traveled to USA).
I have the 1941 Captain America reprints issued by Marvel in the early 1990s, the volume reprinting "Fighting American", and "Sandman".
But the comic books are an entirely different thing, they give you the exact atmosphere of the moment they came out.
I also collect some pre-war italian comics publications (which were large format, over Tabloid, in some cases).

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #190 on: December 08, 2011, 11:48:28 AM »
Oh I'm with you all the way on original cover to cover (c2c) scans V.
It's something we encourage all scanners to do when sharing.  The ads are very telling of the times.
:)

Offline vaillant

• VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #191 on: December 08, 2011, 11:53:40 AM »
Sure, it’s also for a question of completeness. And in silver age Marvels, the mail page is also extremely interesting.
I would like to re-transcribe the interview I did with Jack Kirby, if I do I will probably contact John Morrow to re-publish it, and let the forum users here know. I was very ignorant (and I still am) about Golden Age in 1991, but there are a few questions about Jack's war experience and golden age books.
The interview came out (in English) in its original form in an issue of "Comics Interview" (thanks to David Anthony Kraft) but for some error, I presume, they reported I did it in San Diego in 1993 (while it was from the summer of 1991), but I think it can be transcribed a lot better.

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #192 on: December 08, 2011, 12:22:32 PM »
Sounds great, I'm sure the gang would love to see it V, good luck!

Offline eismann

• DCM Member
« Reply #193 on: December 12, 2011, 03:28:16 PM »
Hi,
sorry for my bad English
I live in Germany but I come from Italy
I'm a Bonelli comics fan (Tex, Zagor) und
above all old western comics from U.S.
I'm happy....that I've find this homepage
Great!

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #194 on: December 12, 2011, 03:36:34 PM »
Welcome E, we've got lots for you to enjoy here.