- +

Author Topic: Salutations from Italy and a Comics Query  (Read 817 times)

Offline Gilpin

• DCM Member
  • Golden Age Fan
Salutations from Italy and a Comics Query
« on: August 30, 2023, 10:55:22 AM »
Hello everyone, it's a pleasure to be a part of this community (the internet can truly be an amazing place sometimes).

As a longtime admirer of comics and graphic novels, I'm currently immersed in a project that calls for stories set in the rugged wilderness and towering mountains, steeped in a Western-style narrative.

Specifically, I'm on the lookout for Gaylord Dubois' comics. I'm aware that he's crafted numerous one-shot comics, and given the nature of my project, these succinct stories would be immensely valuable. If any of you happen to possess information on where or how I might access some of Dubois' works, your assistance would be profoundly appreciated.

Thank you in advance for any insights you can provide!

P.S. If you're familiar with other authors who have delved into similar themes of wilderness and mountains, please don't hesitate to reach out. Your contributions would earn my heartfelt gratitude!

Digital Comic Museum

Salutations from Italy and a Comics Query
« on: August 30, 2023, 10:55:22 AM »

Offline OtherEric

• Global Moderator
  • DCM Member
Re: Salutations from Italy and a Comics Query
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2023, 11:16:12 AM »
Welcome!

If you know some of the titles you're looking for, it might be easier for us to help point you at the stories.  One issue is that it seems that he largely wrote licensed adaptations, which we can't share here since they're still under copyright unlike lots of the comics from that era.

Offline Gilpin

• DCM Member
  • Golden Age Fan
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2023, 12:23:47 PM »
Hello,

Thanks for getting back to me.

I tried my best to put together a list of titles that caught my interest. Unfortunately, I don't know much about the author's work since it's not very popular in Italy, which makes it hard to find.

That's why I'm open to suggestions from others who might know more and can point me in the right direction.

To give you a clearer idea of what I'm after, I'm working on a collection of short stories set in the Italian Alps from the late 1800s up to WWI. I think that even though there are differences, the kinds of characters that were around in that region back then aren't all that different from the typical outlaw, ranger, and strong female characters you find in Western literature.

Just to help you understand better, I'm on the lookout for comics that have a vibe kind of like the Coen Brothers' movie "The Ballad of Buster Scruggs." You know, something that makes you really appreciate the value we place on life today:)

Here's a list of Dubois' works I've come across (not sure which of these will still be under copyright):

Golden Reading Adventure (I think he did issue #378, "Nomads from the North." Not sure about other episodes.)
Red Ryder - Kyotee kids"
Zane Grey's version of "King of the Royal Mounted"
Zane Grey's Stories of the West (according to Wikipedia he did 31 out of 39 issues)
Comics related to "Tales of Wells Fargo," "Man from Wells Fargo," "Wanted: Dead or Alive," "The Rebel," "Bonanza," and "Hotel de Paree Sundance"
And his adaptations of "Tom Sawyer," "Huckleberry Finn," and "Kidnapped."

Thanks again for your help and time.

Offline OtherEric

• Global Moderator
  • DCM Member
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2023, 10:37:28 PM »
We don't have a lot of those books here, we're very cautious with the Dell material.  Comic Book Plus is a little more willing to take risks, and they have quite a few of the Zane Grey books in there selection of Four Color Comics that we don't have here.  I have no idea which of those are actually scripts by DuBois, however.  But you may find some stuff here, just search for "Zane Grey" in your browser when you get to the page:

https://comicbookplus.com/?cid=1409

Good hunting!

Offline Gilpin

• DCM Member
  • Golden Age Fan
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2023, 09:45:24 AM »
Thanks a lot!