developed-responsibility
- +

Author Topic: Eleventy first birthday for my Grandfather's comic  (Read 981 times)

Offline UsefulDave

• DCM Member
  • Golden Age Fan
Eleventy first birthday for my Grandfather's comic
« on: July 03, 2020, 10:13:55 AM »
Hi everyone,

I've registered because of one comic I found last week when going through my father's effects, he died a year ago.
Amongst other papers I found a comic he must have been given by his father, who had kept it since his childhood.
This edition of the Lot-o'-Fun comic (see attached) was published on June 19th 1909 in London and cost a ha'penny in old money - when there were 240 pennies to £1 sterling. If 'Vol VIII, No.171' is true, this comic was well established by then. Would you have other information about it?

Kind regards,

David Spooner,
Stirling, Scotland

Digital Comic Museum

Eleventy first birthday for my Grandfather's comic
« on: July 03, 2020, 10:13:55 AM »

Offline SuperScrounge

• VIP
  • DCM Member
    • The KAMics
Re: Eleventy first birthday for my Grandfather's comic
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2020, 09:44:49 PM »
A quick search turned up a few sites.

The UK Comics Wiki https://ukcomics.fandom.com/wiki/Lot-o%27-Fun says it started March 17, 1906 & ran to February 16, 1929 when it merged with Crackers. It was published originally by James Henderson and Sons, then was taken over in 1920 by Amalgamated Press.

Offline erwin-k

• VIP
  • DCM Member
  • New Pulp Writer
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2020, 08:36:48 AM »
Thanks for sharing that image!

The Grand Comic Database has some data on Lot-OFun.

Three covers of your grandfather's version here:   https://www.comics.org/series/68639/

There were other versions of the title later and Down Under. Some info here:  https://www.comics.org/searchNew/?q=Lot-o-Fun

I'm sure the DCM membership would love to see scans, or digital camera pictures, of the whole comic. It must be almost as rare as hen's teeth.

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2020, 10:38:49 AM »
Welcome Dave.
Thanks for helping him with your info gang.

-Yoc

Offline UsefulDave

• DCM Member
  • Golden Age Fan
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2020, 11:48:55 AM »
Thank you for the really useful links, which I'm looking forward to following up. I'm now back home in Scotland (not far from DC Comics), so will definitely photograph and share here the whole comic when next I travel 440 miles south to my parents house - probably within 3 months. It has been carefully kept in the dark so the colours are still strong, but I was loathe to open it out fully as the edges are very crumbly.

Cheers,
David