- +

Author Topic: What is your favorite live action COMIC BOOK BASED TELEVISION show?  (Read 2586 times)

Offline bminor

• Keeper of the Comics
  • VIP
  • DCM Member
    • Brian and Rebecca Minor Watercolors
I really liked that Flash that was done in the mid 90's. Pretty dog gone good.
Nice production values and o.k. stories

Digital Comic Museum

Offline cimmerian32

• Technogrammaton Comics Moderator
  • VIP
  • DCM Member
  • That damned Scarlet Cimmerian
Wonder Woman and Flash were both awesome. I liked Birds of Prey for a few episodes, but then I kinda just lost interest...
The Incredible Hulk was a childhood favourite...

As for right now, I keep meaning to check out Arrow... my friends give it pretty solid reviews.
Zap Comics are Squinky comics!

Offline narfstar

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
Arrow is great. My son watches each episode twice. He watches it at 8PM but I watch it later and he watches it with me.

Offline misappear

• DCM Member
Space Family Robinson/Lost in Space; First season only.  The rest bit.

Offline narfstar

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
Space Family Robinson claimed not to have been based on the comic.

Offline darkmark (RIP)

• VIP
  • DCM Member
Batman from 1966-67.

Offline jfglade

• VIP
  • DCM Member
The pickings are pretty meager, in my opinion, but I'll have to go with "The Adventures of Superman." Within the genre of comic book characters adapted to television series the first Superman adaption is historically significant and I still think the series holds up pretty well despite the fact that the special effects aren't very convincing. They weren't very convincing back in the day either but that bother anyone then. If this weren't limited to live action series, I'd probably pick "Couragous Cat and Minute Mouse" as the best adaption of Batman to television because that is clearly the source material for the series; Bob Kane did the storyboards and obviously had a great time creating villains the were very much like Batman's rogue gallery despite being funny animal characters.

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
I loved the Justice League / Unlimited animated series.  Quite faithful to the source material.
Fans of the goofy 50s Batman might like the Batman- Brave and Bold series.

Offline great daddy

• DCM Member
Re: What is your favorite live action COMIC BOOK BASED TELEVISION show?
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2013, 06:27:26 PM »
I Watched lois and clark,on ABC,years ago.,it was a very good show,dean cain did a good job,playing  superman.

Offline Roygbiv666

• Repeat Donor!
  • VIP
  • DCM Member
    • Standard Comics
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2013, 09:25:05 PM »
Ditto. So many great moment in the JL/JLU series -- so many. Where else can you see Bwana Beast? (Was he in B&tB?)

I loved the Justice League / Unlimited animated series.  Quite faithful to the source material.
Fans of the goofy 50s Batman might like the Batman- Brave and Bold series.

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2013, 10:24:53 PM »
Never saw the Lois & Clark show though I'd give it a chance if it ever came on tv sometime.

I can't recall if Bwana Beast was on B&B or not.  They had a lot of characters over it's run.  Like Batmite in the last episode.  And singing.  Oy!  I can't say I enjoyed it nearly as much as JL/JLU.  The tone of B&B was just too goofy for me.  Sure, it was aimed at a younger audience and it felt like the 50's silly era with modern versions of characters but it wasn't my cup of tea.  I still watched them all to support Timm and DC animation.  I quite liked Young Justice as well.

I was disappointed they decided against doing a Capt Marvel series.  He would have been my choice if they wanted to do another series with the same humour feel as B&B.

Offline narfstar

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2013, 09:37:33 AM »
I am pretty sure BB was on BB. He appeared in Showcase 66-67 by Sekowsky. I loved him when he first came out and was sorry he did not get his own book. I have always favored the oddballs.

Offline John C

• Administrators
  • DCM Member
    • John's Blog
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2013, 04:29:17 PM »
I loved the character's look from the start, and the powers were pretty novel.  It was kind of hard to take the concept seriously, though, and I was shocked the DC dropped him into Who's Who without any comment.

In context, bwana, as it turns out, is kind of offensive.  From a textbook standpoint, it's a formal, respectful address, like "Sir."  Less formally, it's more like how the Spanish jefe ("boss") is used in the United States, semi-sarcastic.  The reason is that, for many years, the word was to be reserved for white bosses on the job, which is where the offense comes from.

The closest analogy I can think of would be a white superhero in the deep south calling himself Massa' Monster.

Just as a quick chime-in on topic, though, the Flash still holds up (I bought the DVDs because I missed half the episodes when it aired).

Lois and Clark was good, at least for a while.  It was a nice touch making Clark the guy everybody likes but Superman stiff and clever making the hero almost an afterthought in the show.

Justice League...I turned it off after the first few episodes when it aired, because it seemed to be cherry-picking everything I disliked about modern comics.  I'm rewatching it now, and...I don't feel much better for it, but it wasn't quite the trainwreck I saw.  And to be fair, I didn't really enjoy the team's Batman or Superman shows, except for an occasional episode.  Too..."toyetic," especially Superman.

What I saw of The Brave and the Bold (up after I'm through with JL and JLU), I liked.  I thought it was fun, but not overly campy or childish, even if the design was clearly supposed to evoke the Adam West series (which I cut my teeth on, in reruns, and will still drop whatever I'm doing to watch, when I see it on).  The big innovation I saw that caught my eye was packing an entire (short) episode into the teaser.

It's only barely (if that) related to the comics, but the Human Target, a few years ago, that was amazing.  Well, the first season was amazing.  After that, they bring in a woman as a "silent partner" whose job it is to stand around pouting about stuff and occasionally be a victim.  I hope the actress was some executive's girlfriend, because that's the only quasi-acceptable reason to throw in such an unlikeable character as a transparent ("tense") romantic interest.  They also canned the guy that rescored (and re-recorded with an orchestra) the theme music every episode and replaced him with some dude and a synthesizer and generic "edgy" tracks...yawn.  But no lie, grab the first season DVDs.

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2013, 09:00:51 PM »
Hi John,
I admit DC wasn't my first love and I'm not nearly as versed in it's history as much as Marvel so perhaps that's why I enjoyed JL/JLU more than you.  I thought the mini-episodes of B&B were great.  Some better than the full episode that followed.  They made me want to read Kamandi for instance.

I never saw any of the Human Target and only recall seeing one or two Flash episodes and not being impressed with the body suit - Flash was never muscle bound in my mind.

One show I wanted to see was Sable based on Mike Grell's 'Jon Sable' comic that I collected back in the day.  There was lots to work with there.

Offline narfstar

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2013, 07:56:02 AM »
I think the suit was a big turn off with the Flash. I enjoyed the episodes but not the look. It is broken into several segments but the Sable pilot is available on youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITOq7_r2rHU