- +

Author Topic: WORLD AROUND US...  (Read 4111 times)

Offline tbdeinc

• Creator of Original Content
  • VIP
  • DCM Member
  • Super Donor!
    • http://www.georgepetergatsis.com/
WORLD AROUND US...
« on: January 29, 2011, 07:41:31 AM »
Just came across a series of comic covers in google images called :

"WORLD AROUND US"

Are these in the public domain?

George

Digital Comic Museum

WORLD AROUND US...
« on: January 29, 2011, 07:41:31 AM »

Offline josemas

• DCM Member
Re: WORLD AROUND US...
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2011, 08:22:31 AM »
That's a Gilberton title.  The same company that published Classics Illustrated.   I have a few issues.  They're extra thick, 64-80 pages or so.  Mine date to the late 50s and early 60s.

Don't know about PD status but I'm sure one of the experts here will know.

Best

Joe

Offline tbdeinc

• Creator of Original Content
  • VIP
  • DCM Member
  • Super Donor!
    • http://www.georgepetergatsis.com/
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2011, 08:43:30 AM »
Sorry forgot to also post the link where I found it ...

http://www.classicscentral.com/world.htm

George

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2011, 09:19:30 AM »
No, these are not PD so we wont be sharing any of their books on DCM should full book scans appear.
Sorry.

Offline JVJ (RIP)

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
  • paix
    • ImageS Magazine
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2011, 02:04:31 PM »
Interesting to note that the Classics site has an artists index on these issues taken from my personal Classics Index that I shared with Dan Malan during a visit 20+ years ago (word for word, artist by artist, page number by page number). As is usual, there is no credit given or shared with me or with Hames Ware who helped me compile the index. Sigh...

Peace, Jim (|:{>

JVJ Publishing and VW inc.

Offline josemas

• DCM Member
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2011, 02:22:51 AM »
Interesting to note that the Classics site has an artists index on these issues taken from my personal Classics Index that I shared with Dan Malan during a visit 20+ years ago (word for word, artist by artist, page number by page number). As is usual, there is no credit given or shared with me or with Hames Ware who helped me compile the index. Sigh...

I know how you feel Jim.  I've seen the same thing happen with comedian/comedy filmographies I've worked on.  It's always nice to get credit for all of one's hard work.

Best

Joe
« Last Edit: January 30, 2011, 02:24:55 AM by josemas »

Offline John C

• Administrators
  • DCM Member
    • John's Blog
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2011, 07:50:35 AM »
Keep in mind that for the rest of us, it's not just credit, but credibility.  Seeing a random uncredited checklist, it could be...well, anything from random guesswork to actual analysis.  If Jim and Hames are named, though, it makes a big difference as to how I view the information.

Offline narfstar

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2011, 09:47:08 AM »
Correct on both aspects. Credit should be given where due and to add credibility

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2011, 11:17:55 AM »
Well said John!

Offline JVJ (RIP)

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
  • paix
    • ImageS Magazine
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2011, 03:07:10 PM »
Thanks, guys.

(|:{>

Offline Bob Hughes

• VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2011, 08:37:52 AM »
That list has probably been kicking around in the comics scene for years and years and the present user probably has no idea where it came from.  That they would then post it on a web page word for word without even attempting to update or verify it strikes me as the height of laziness.  Wouldn't you think a site devoted to Classics would attempt to update/validate the list and add their own research? 

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2011, 09:29:39 AM »
The real crime IMO is the first person who shared the list and did NOT include the proper credits for it's origins.
As you say those further down the line might well have no idea who wrote it and it sometimes can be impossible to discover the writer if one doesn't know where to look.  Not to make excuses for them.  The first poster is still the guilty party IMO.

Offline John C

• Administrators
  • DCM Member
    • John's Blog
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2011, 03:59:14 PM »
To my mind, if you don't know where the information comes from, posting it is only going to hurt.  You run the risk of it being wrong, possibly maliciously so, making you the guy who fell for the hoax.  In certain cases, there's also a potential copyright claim to be made, in some cases.

So, the person who "lost" the attribution might have been the most ethically wrong, but everybody else in the chain is guilty of a much broader range of sins, so to speak.

Think of information like food:  If you don't know where it came from, it's a stupid idea to serve it to guests who you'd like to think highly of you.  It might go over well, sure, but it's hardly the way to bet.  And even if nobody dies, as Bob points out, it's a little insulting, especially when you're claiming it as a specialty of the house...

Offline JVJ (RIP)

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
  • paix
    • ImageS Magazine
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2011, 05:14:10 PM »
That list has probably been kicking around in the comics scene for years and years and the present user probably has no idea where it came from.  That they would then post it on a web page word for word without even attempting to update or verify it strikes me as the height of laziness.  Wouldn't you think a site devoted to Classics would attempt to update/validate the list and add their own research? 

Actually, Bob, the site is quite clear about where the list came from:
"© "The Complete Guide to Classics Illustrated" by Dan Malan,  adapted for web by Rudy Tambone"

I can't seem to locate my copy "The Guide" (if it was ever published and if I received/obtained one), and I simply don't recall whether or not Dan Malan credited me therein, so I don't know if Rudy Tambone knew who was behind the list.

As for validating, that seems to be a virtue sadly lacking in almost every comics history or book that I read. I've been trying to wend my way through Fire & Water and From Light to Shadow and keep gasping at the inaccuracies that a simply Who's Who or GCD search could have avoided. People keep copying other books and rewriting what they've read to avoid the appearance of plagiarism - in the process adding errors.

As historians, writers of books about comic book are great fans.

Offline narfstar

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2011, 08:00:18 PM »
What we need is the JVJ Complete and Accurate Definitive Comic Book History Encyclopedia. Lots of buyers here