- +

Author Topic: missing ifc  (Read 2048 times)

Offline Ryking

• DCM Member
missing ifc
« on: November 22, 2010, 08:41:45 AM »
I've seen some comic scans on here that say missing ifc. what exactly does that stand for? I apologize if this is already answered elsewhere, but I couldn't find that topic if it exists.

Digital Comic Museum

missing ifc
« on: November 22, 2010, 08:41:45 AM »

Offline Roygbiv666

• Repeat Donor!
  • VIP
  • DCM Member
    • Standard Comics
Re: missing ifc
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2010, 09:16:57 AM »
I've seen some comic scans on here that say missing ifc. what exactly does that stand for? I apologize if this is already answered elsewhere, but I couldn't find that topic if it exists.

ifc = inside front cover
ibc = inside back cover
c2c = cover to cover

and I think "cf" is centrefold and "cs" is cover-spread (cov,ifc,ibc,bc)
« Last Edit: November 22, 2010, 10:56:21 AM by Yoc »

Offline OtherEric

• Global Moderator
  • DCM Member
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2010, 09:21:30 AM »
Roy covered it pretty well.  IFC is often a story- or at least content page- from some publishers; Fox, Avon, and Dell in particular.  95% of the time we can find a front cover somewhere online, but the inside front cover is a lot harder.

Offline Ryking

• DCM Member
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2010, 12:51:42 PM »
That's odd. You would think that if someone took the time to scan the whole comic, that they would just scan everything. thanks for the info.

Offline JonTheScanner

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2010, 01:12:41 PM »
That's odd. You would think that if someone took the time to scan the whole comic, that they would just scan everything. thanks for the info.

Some people don't scan ads, but if just the ifc and ibc cover are missing, it's usually a scan of a coverless copy and the front cover and back cover were found on Heritage or a similar site.  If just the ifc is missing, then usually the same is true and the ibc could be determined because it was an ad common to the entire line of comics that month and there was show-thru on the bc scan so it could be determined.  (If you hear scanners talk about 'mirror reading' that's what it means -- reading the reversed image of the ibc -- though mirrors are not involved.) The same can be done for ifcs, but for most Golden-Age comics the indicia was at the bottom of the ifc, so even if you know what ad was there, you can't duplicate it exactly from another comic.  Occasionally you may see in my scans pages labeled Jungle_65_02.reconstructed.jpg.  That would be one where I knew what ad should be there and I recreated the indicia by assuming it was the same as in Jungle 64 or 66 and changed the issue number, date, (and possiby copyright year).  Hopefully, nobody renames those and passes them along.