- +

Author Topic: Prince Valiant  (Read 2327 times)

Offline Pipo

• DCM Member
Prince Valiant
« on: October 07, 2010, 12:44:08 AM »
Somebody knows if Prince Valiant stuff are copyright free?

I've bought a "Deluxe french edition" of Hal Foster's hero 20 years ago and I don't find it anymore (even on eBay...)

Digital Comic Museum

Prince Valiant
« on: October 07, 2010, 12:44:08 AM »

Offline Alessandro Bottero

• DCM Member
Re: Prince Valiant
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2010, 05:17:25 AM »
honestly i don't know, but i would like to know it too. Harold FOster is one of the best author in the comic book history, and he's almost forgotten now.

Offline JVJ (RIP)

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
  • paix
    • ImageS Magazine
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2010, 08:59:43 AM »
Prince Valiant is NOT in the Public Domain and never has been. It is owned (and still published) by King Features Syndicate. And it was only a comic BOOK for about two issues in the 1950s - ably drawn by Bob Fujetani. All the rest of its existence it was/has been/is a comic STRIP. I think that there is an unfortunate tendency to view these two media as identical, but they are, IMHO, very, very different.

The current PV is written by Mark Schultz and drawn by Gary Gianni.

Peace, Jim (|:{>
Peace, Jim (|:{>

JVJ Publishing and VW inc.

Offline JonTheScanner

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2010, 02:36:03 PM »
Minor correction.  Jim, I assume you're thinking of Dell's Four Color issues though there were seven of those: 567 (adaptation of the movie), 650, 699, 719, 788, 849, 900.  All by Fujitani

In addition to the Dell Four Color issues Marvel published a four issue mini series of Prince Valiant in the mid 90s (by John Ridgeway if memory serves) that was new material. 

Of course there were many other comic-book appearances from all kinds of publishers, but they were all reprints as far as I recall.