- +

Author Topic: Why download DCM scans?  (Read 1065 times)

Offline Poztron

• Repeat Donor!
  • VIP
  • DCM Member
Why download DCM scans?
« on: August 26, 2015, 06:58:49 PM »
Every now and then I ask myself why I have bothered downloading nearly all of DCM's archives (some funny animal comics excepted). Is it OCD? Could be, I guess.

But I've concluded it is also due to several factors:

The previous meltdowns of the online comic scan archives and painful reconstructions taught me that there can never be too many redundant back-ups out there.

The satisfaction of having in virtual form a colossal GA comic collection all fit into a hard-drive 5"x8" in size. It makes me feel wealthy in an intangible way.

The fact that I enjoy reading comic scans in FFView on my computer more than using the preview function at DCM, as handy as the latter is.

The fear that somehow at some future time some corporate or governmental super-villian is going to stomp on DCM and CBPlus and end the era of public domain comics for all.

The fact that downloading the scans and appending the artists' names to their file-names and then filing them in folders by publisher makes it much more likely that I will skim each scan at least once and be able to find comics with favorite artists of mine in them.

Those are the reasons I can think of off the top of my head.

Does anyone share in those or have other reasons?

Digital Comic Museum

Why download DCM scans?
« on: August 26, 2015, 06:58:49 PM »

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
Re: Why download DCM scans?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2015, 08:25:41 PM »
Those cover it nicely Poz.
The 'Collector Gene' resides in all of us.  I'm just thankful our obsession isn't taking up huge amounts of time or space like some collectables out there must do.
It's a big plus for saving digital versions of these books.  I think the site being almost free makes it hard not to grab one of everything even if you never do read some of them.

As always I say god bless the collectors and scanners out there for sharing and the financial donors who help keep the lights burning!
-Yoc

Offline erwin-k

• VIP
  • DCM Member
  • New Pulp Writer
Re: Why download DCM scans?
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2015, 09:00:59 AM »
An Amen! from me to Poztron & Yoc.

While I download a lot of things, I am also a big user of the Preview function. I check out the first few pages of almost everything that comes in.

Collections that take up a lot of space? About 55 years ago a friend took me to the estate sale of the biggest railroad enthusiast in the St. Louis, Missouri, area. This guy had two or three actual track switches in his small back yard. We got there a bit late. A lot of the huge amount of model RR stuff was already sold and gone. But far from all. And, there were still piles of different RR company calendars. I remembered a WW2 era one so vividly that I bought a print of the painting on eBay in about 2003. There was also about a four foot stack of railroad pulp magazines, already sold unfortunately. This guy had collected everything!