- +

Author Topic: Suggestion/question about missing pages  (Read 1912 times)

Offline misterxus

• VIP
  • DCM Member
Suggestion/question about missing pages
« on: July 26, 2015, 05:46:49 AM »
Would anyone be opposed to using the ads from publisher and date specific comics to fill-in missing ads in other comics from the same publisher and date? For one thing, we could pick either the best scan for that specific ad or one that most closely resembles the scanning of the complete issue.  I know I wouldn't mind one bit, and if I ever get into scanning in earnest, I would label and save ads for that specific purpose.

Digital Comic Museum

Suggestion/question about missing pages
« on: July 26, 2015, 05:46:49 AM »

Offline movielover

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
Re: Suggestion/question about missing pages
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2015, 06:00:15 AM »
It is done by some, the problem is that the ads at times aren't the same, especially during the early years and between genres, and some publishers there just isn't enough to know for certain if they used the same ads

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2015, 10:00:08 AM »
When in doubt about a missing ad we prefer there be a 'missing page' jpg or none at all.
If we know for Sure what the ad was (say from a fiche scan) and can find a better paper scan to fill the hole feel free.
I do this a lot when working on runs of the same title, Prize romances for instance.

-Yoc

Offline JonTheScanner

• VIP Uploaders
  • DCM Member
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2015, 03:00:54 PM »
I've replaced ads when I was sure I knew what goes there.  This can be from a fiche or when you have a partial page like from a stripped inside front cover.  In some cases there is enough show through from the back of a scanned page to tell what's on the missing page.  This is helped a lot when you have other comics from the same publisher for the same month so you have a good starting point for what might be there.  Snard and I did a lot of this for a while.

But you can't just guess from other contemporary comics from the same month.  This is quite often wrong in my experience.  There are some scans out there with some ad pages labeled "guess".  If you do guess, be sure to do that. Or don't guess.