developed-responsibility
- +

Author Topic: Cheapest pad for reading comics....  (Read 1793 times)

Offline bminor

• Keeper of the Comics
  • VIP
  • DCM Member
    • Brian and Rebecca Minor Watercolors
Cheapest pad for reading comics....
« on: October 08, 2015, 06:56:03 AM »
I am contemplating a tablet for reading my DCM books. I imagine a android tablet would be the most affordable.
Any would work for me, it will be used ONLY for reading comics, so I don't need to worry about having all the latest and greatest features.
I remember last Christmas Menards (lumberyard/hardware) store (all over the upper midwest) had a bunch of really cheap tablets. I mean less than $40!!! At the time I was not thinking of having a tablet for reading comics.
Well, eveveryone, give me your two bits worth!
Maybe someone has an old one laying around you would like to part with!
Yours,
B.
Happy reading!!!!

Digital Comic Museum

Cheapest pad for reading comics....
« on: October 08, 2015, 06:56:03 AM »

Offline johndesmarais

• Repeat donor!
  • VIP
  • DCM Member
Re: Cheapest pad for reading comics....
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2015, 03:35:33 PM »
I would be leery of a $40 tablet. 

Outside of weird specials that pop up occasionally (I got a great price on may last iPad from tanga.com - but you can't count on that) where I would suggest you look is Amazon and Barnes & Noble.  The Kindle Fire and Samsung Galaxy Tab E NOOK (formally the Nook HD) are pretty impressive devices for the money as, in both cases, the seller is partially subsidizing the devices a little as they expect to recoup that money via media sales.  There are third-party comic (CBR/CBZ) reader apps for both - although the NOOK has built in support for CBZ (but to CBR - go figure).

Offline Ami_GFX

• VIP
  • DCM Member
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2015, 08:13:53 AM »
I tried a nook and just gave it away. Too proprietary and tied in to Barnes & Nobles bookstore. I would go for a big low end Android tablet. I've had a couple and they generally have decent displays and lots of apps for them. Comics are the low end of what they can do. The only one I have now has an HDMI output and it is used as a media player to watch movies and Youtube on a regular TV.

I use an older Windows tablet convertible to read comics. It has a 4:3 display which leaves less blank space around the pages and gives me a bigger overall display of the CBR and CBZ files. It also uses the comic readers I'm used to in Windows. The disadvantage is that is a bit awkward and heavy compared to a newer tablet and the touch screen isn't as responsive. The cheap android tablets are feather weight which makes them great for reading in bed.

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2015, 11:49:43 AM »
You might find some lower cost tablets reviewed on engadget - http://www.engadget.com/reviews/tablets/

I used the weight of a tablet as my #2 buying criteria.  The cost being #1.  After reading for a while with a relatives heavy tablet I knew I had to go lighter than that.  I ended up with this one - Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 10.1

The only complaint I have with this is it's running the now old Kitkat and wont allow me to directly upload to the microSD card.  I have to upload my comics to the internal memory and then move them to the card with the file manager app.  But it's only 1lb and has as good as screen as an iPad and costs less.

The review site has many off brand alternative mentioned that are cheaper but you get what you pay for as well.

Good luck!
-Yoc

Offline INIMIT

• DCM Member
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2015, 01:00:23 PM »
I have been using android tablet to read the comic and it's ok.

Very cheap.

Buy a brand that is famous like ASUS. Do not buy something super cheap on Amazon or eBay.
Commercial links are forbidden on DCM.
Links removed by staff.

Offline Yoc

• S T A F F
  • Administrators
  • DCM Member
  • 14 Years Strong!
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2015, 01:15:00 PM »
Whatever you buy feel free to let us know what you think of it.

I sure which the manufactures made it easy to update your version of Andriod when they come out.